D&D Movie/TV Michelle Rodriguez, Justice Smith Join D&D Movie

From Comic Book Movies -- "Michelle Rodriguez (Avatar) and Justice Smith (Detective Pikachu) have joined Wonder Woman 1984's Chris Pine in Paramount and eOne's upcoming big-budget board game adaptation, Dungeons & Dragons..." https://www.comicbookmovie.com/fantasy/dungeons-dragons-michelle-rodriguez-and-justice-smith-join-chris-pine-in-fantasy-adaptation-a182313#gs.sfctbx We learned in...

From Comic Book Movies -- "Michelle Rodriguez (Avatar) and Justice Smith (Detective Pikachu) have joined Wonder Woman 1984's Chris Pine in Paramount and eOne's upcoming big-budget board game adaptation, Dungeons & Dragons..."

Michelle_Rodriguez_Cannes_2018_cropped.jpg

We learned in December about Chris Pine's involvement, along with directors Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley.

Mirtek

Hero
See the new MtG setting, which is viking based, with Black people.

The Moonsheas don't have to be white. Celts don't have to be white.
So instead of taking another ethnic's stuff and giving it to white people, they now take PoC but overwrite them with white culture? I can't help but see this as a form whitewashing.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
So instead of taking another ethnic's stuff and giving it to white people, they now take PoC but overwrite them with white culture? I can't help but see this as a form whitewashing.
There were non-white people in medieval Europe. Scholars disagree on how many and this site probably overstates how many, per pretty much every other historian on the planet, but Europe was not lily white back in the day.

And no one in the Forgotten Realms is real. You can't discriminate against the fictional people who "ought" to be depicted there when you replace them with other also fictional people.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
That doesn't make any sense. I gotta go with @doctorbadwolf on this one. Eberron isn't a particularly wild thing. It's just a slightly more modern fantasy setting. And I don't think you're remotely thinking about the modern audience. How do you think people are? "Classic D&D" is like, retirement-age stuff almost (soz all my fellow oldies). I'm 42 and I was raised on Dark Sun and Planescape and so on. Not on Greyhawk or a particularly staid take on the Forgotten Realms.

I mean, jeez, even the very first setting I bought - Taladas- has massive steampunk fortress replete with a ton of steampunk technology (before steampunk was even popularized as a term even among nerds). Back in 1989.

So how old do you think the audience for this movie is that they want "classic D&D" or "classic fantasy", which is like what, 1970s and 1980s stuff? Larry Elmore and Clyde Caldwell? I mean there's nothing wrong with that, but it's like, granddad stuff almost. Why would you want a movie that needs to succeed to go that way? Eberron would be much more likely to at least fit with how people under 40 envision fantasy, people who were raised on Final Fantasy and World of Warcraft and so on.

So the guy saying Legend, of all things is a great movie thinks I have "terrible" POV? I mean, I think that maybe means I have a "great" POV? :p But let's be real, neither of us have any shortage of hot takes. At least I know mine for what they are!
Yeah, bud, the opinions of anyone who speaks that snobbishly about any art form loses a decent chunk of respect from me, at least on the subject of art. 🤷‍♂️

Elitism is never valid.

Scribe

Legend
What wild nonsense are you talking about?
If I had to guess, the fact a 'viking / Norse' set for MtG had PoC, as a sign that it's OK to subvert a culture when it's perceived to be predominantly white.

Same argument kicked up with Dominaria, because it had non-White Knights (and even female!) and a non-White Angel.

Despite Magic having diversity in its art since...forever.

Not something I lose sleep over.

doctorbadwolf

If I had to guess, the fact a 'viking / Norse' set for MtG had PoC, as a sign that it's OK to subvert a culture when it's perceived to be predominantly white.
I mean, I’ve given up trying to explain to ppl that appropriation is about power and not like...people being in the “wrong” culture.
Same argument kicked up with Dominaria, because it had non-White Knights (and even female!) and a non-White Angel.
Ugh. No one ever told them that angels come from South Asia?
Despite Magic having diversity in its art since...forever.

Not something I lose sleep over.
Yeah. Folks are very strange.

doctorbadwolf

Sure, it's well done. So is the opening crawl to Star Wars. But it sets a tone that is different to the one the D&D movie is supposed to be aiming for. And I doubt anyone could make "how Eberron is different from GenericFantasyland" as interesting as "The Last Alliance of Elves and Men".
Why would you try to explain Eberron like that, though? It’s completely unnecessary.

Remove ads

Remove ads