D&D Movie/TV Michelle Rodriguez, Justice Smith Join D&D Movie

From Comic Book Movies -- "Michelle Rodriguez (Avatar) and Justice Smith (Detective Pikachu) have joined Wonder Woman 1984's Chris Pine in Paramount and eOne's upcoming big-budget board game adaptation, Dungeons & Dragons..." https://www.comicbookmovie.com/fantasy/dungeons-dragons-michelle-rodriguez-and-justice-smith-join-chris-pine-in-fantasy-adaptation-a182313#gs.sfctbx We learned in...

From Comic Book Movies -- "Michelle Rodriguez (Avatar) and Justice Smith (Detective Pikachu) have joined Wonder Woman 1984's Chris Pine in Paramount and eOne's upcoming big-budget board game adaptation, Dungeons & Dragons..."

Michelle_Rodriguez_Cannes_2018_cropped.jpg

We learned in December about Chris Pine's involvement, along with directors Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley.

Dausuul

Legend
Casting doesn't really tell us anything--good or bad--about the quality of the movie. The quality of the script and the direction are far more important.

An extraordinary actor can compensate for bad writing and a weak director, but only within the confines of their own role. In the Star Wars prequels, Christopher Lee and Ian McDiarmid turned in stunning performances as Count Dooku and Chancellor Palpatine, but they couldn't do anything about the scenes where they weren't on screen, nor redeem the trilogy as a whole.

And most of the cast, despite being perfectly competent actors who had done well in other films, couldn't even salvage their own parts.

Apparently there are going to be at least 2 more sequels. I can hardly wait ... ah who am I kidding. I can wait. I thought the first one was dumb, and I'm pretty lenient on movie logic. I was cheering for the guys in the mech suits at the end. 🤷‍♂️
Avatar's visuals, back in 2009, had me spellbound for a solid two hours.

Sadly, Avatar's running time is more than two hours long.

Last edited:

Mirtek

Hero
I didn't ignore her other roles. I simply pointed the flaw in your statement about how using an actor who was in a billion dollar franchise somehow infers that using them means you'll have commercial greatness, using her as an analogy.

*I.e., Rodriquez and Pine probably had little to do with either of those franchises being commercially great (just like Portman's roles in SW and the MCU had little to do with those successes commercially), thus you seem to be engaging in a correlation/causation fallacy.
Well, if we attribute the commercial success of a franchise to any actor who had 10s of screentime and two words (yes, I know both had much more than that in those franchises) then Stan Lee is the the most commercially accomplished actor of all time.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
Wait, what?

hahahahhaha.

For one, just because someone is in a big grossing movie doesn't make them great actors. Natalie Portman has been in two billion dollar franchises, and while she's a fine actor, she's not great. (It's also odd that you'd cite Pine as a secondary actor in DCU, and not his primary role in Star Trek)

Secondly, you apparently have no idea who Jeremy Irons is or work he's done. He's most definitely not "two bit". Not many actors who have won an academy award and multiple golden globes and emmy's are.
You are aware that Natalie Portman is also an Academy Award Winning Actress? IIRC for BLACK SWAN back in 2011-12? She's also won multiple Golden Globes as in two, for Closer and the other again for Black Swan.

I just find it odd to claim that she's not a great actress and cite Jeremy Irons' achievements when she's fairly accomplished in her own right and is considered more than just a "fine actor" by more than few directors and her peers.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
You are aware that Natalie Portman is also an Academy Award Winning Actress? IIRC for BLACK SWAN back in 2011-12? She's also won multiple Golden Globes as in two, for Closer and the other again for Black Swan.

I just find it odd to claim that she's not a great actress and cite Jeremy Irons' achievements when she's fairly accomplished in her own right and is considered more than just a "fine actor" by more than few directors and her peers.
Portman: 39 award wins (4 major), 76 nominations
Irons: 8 wins (2 major), 19 nominations

Also, @ShinHakkaider her performance in Jackie was regularly a finalist for recognition too. Her mix of indie films, awards, and blockbusters makes her one of the bigger actresses of the past 30 years. I'll admit I'm a Portman stan.

It's bizarre for anyone to claim that Portman isn't the performer that Irons is.

Sacrosanct

Legend
It's bizarre for anyone to claim that Portman isn't the performer that Irons is.
Good thing no one did that, then.

I used Portman as an analogy to state point out the flaw in your logic that using an actor who wasn't the primary actor in a billion dollar franchise (I used her because she has two such franchises, so the point was driven home) doesn't in any way mean that using that actor was a way to capture the commercial success of the franchises they were also part of, like you inferred.

Then I brought up how Irons isn't two bit like you claimed. Separate sentence. I wasn't comparing them at all. If you think so, it's a strawman from your end; no argument I or anyone else ever made. Saying an actor with his accomplishments isn't "two bit" is not the same as saying he is better than Portman.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
Portman: 39 award wins (4 major), 76 nominations
Irons: 8 wins (2 major), 19 nominations

Also, @ShinHakkaider her performance in Jackie was regularly a finalist for recognition too. Her mix of indie films, awards, and blockbusters makes her one of the bigger actresses of the past 30 years. I'll admit I'm a Portman stan.

Agreed.

Sacrosanct

Legend

See my post above. No one made the comparison between the two. I only cited Irons' achievements to prove he isn't two-bit, not that he's better than Portman. Two completely different topics.

Remove ads

Remove ads