• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Minor Change: Magic Missile

Braydz

First Post
FireLance's suggestion is great, it has a very different feel and it's a feel I like.

But Magic Missile as printed isn't bad. It has a higher base and potential damage, MUCH better range and is a Ranged Basic attack. It doesn't sound like much but I think that Ranged Basic is what makes it, considering that the Warlord has four class powers through Paragon tier that allow a character in range to make a Basic attack, two of them targeting "allies in range." The Wizard with Storm of Swords and Ray of Frost, if he's lucky, can swing his staff if there's anyone close enough and that's about it. The Wizard with Magic Missile is throwing an extra 2d4+Int into the mix targeting probably anyone he wants.

FireLance's idea is cool, but at the moment I'm gonna say, "If it ain't broke..."

Warrior147

First Post
I like magic missile. In fact, I even made a paragon path, the Master of Missiles, for its casters today. You can see it if you look up the magic missile tag. However, a don't think that magic missile is underpowered. Most powers of other classes deal 1d10 damage on average, since most decent weapons deal 1d10 damage, and other powers do too, but 2d4 means you're rolling 2 dice, giving you 2 damage minimum. And anyway, you can always take a few feats to improve your missiles, or if your a real missile fanatic, take my paragon path!

Psikus

Explorer
Doesn't a Reaping MM become too similar to Cloud of Daggers? CoD's area has other uses, but most of the time it's just used as a reaping attack.

I'd rather have it push 1 square (like the property from Master's Wand of MM, and stacking with it).

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I think it should have kept the multi missle feel so at epic you fire 2 2D4+ int mod missles instead of 1 aat 4D4+int mod.

I will second that.. one from either hand... that connects with the original too... in fact we could go further you always get two attacks each with 1d4 pick one for the int mod and similarly a wand mod only goes to one.
Two attacks are less likely to both miss... not quite reaping but.

keterys

First Post
A version of Magic Missile I'd written for something was...

Magic Missile
Range 20
Target: One or two creatures within 3 squares of each other
Attack: Int vs. Ref, two attacks
Hit: 1d4 + Int force damage.
Special: If both attacks are targeted against one creature and both hit, it is instead treated as a single hit for 2d4 + Int damage and is pushed 1 square. If either attack criticals, it is treated as a critical hit. At 21st level, the damage increases to 2d4 + Int or 4d4 + Int if both hit a single target.

Effectively gives increased accuracy, ability to hit two critters, makes it more interesting for the wizard, etc.

But, I also think that Magic Missile should be more effective than a ranged basic attack with a long bow and that at-wills in general should always be better than basic attacks. So, that'd be a harder sell in a standard game.

Though it not counting as a basic attack is - probably - a disadvantage. Maybe.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
A version of Magic Missile I'd written for something was...

Magic Missile
Range 20
Target: One or two creatures within 3 squares of each other
Attack: Int vs. Ref, two attacks
Hit: 1d4 + Int force damage.
Special: If both attacks are targeted against one creature and both hit, it is instead treated as a single hit for 2d4 + Int damage and is pushed 1 square. If either attack criticals, it is treated as a critical hit. At 21st level, the damage increases to 2d4 + Int or 4d4 + Int if both hit a single target.

Effectively gives increased accuracy, ability to hit two critters, makes it more interesting for the wizard, etc.

But, I also think that Magic Missile should be more effective than a ranged basic attack with a long bow and that at-wills in general should always be better than basic attacks. So, that'd be a harder sell in a standard game.

Though it not counting as a basic attack is - probably - a disadvantage. Maybe.

In general I agree that at-will's need to be better than basic attacks but I am slightly less specific about weapon... Wizard's are not bound by weapon damage an improvised fighter ranged at will is a d4 rock thrown at somebody after all.

I like the push if 2 hit somebody that is rather of cool.

No reason these need to be magic missile by the way...
some could be called Spell Shot or Firelance (add a fire keyword to his)
or Arcane bolts or similar things... but it does mean you
have to shoot for competitive instead of better:eek:

Nytmare

David Jose
It's minor, and I know that it's an oft ignored bit of the rules, but the fact that magic missle is ammo-less has come up in my game several times.

Dire Human

First Post
Silly question: why not just give Wizards Magic Missile as a Class Feature, rather than making it take an At-Will slot? It's iconic, has no effect other than damage, and counts as a Ranged Basic Attack. To me, Magic Missile is the arcane equivalent to swinging a sword: a simple burst of energy that's one of the first offensive options a Wizard learns. It doesn't punish the Controller for choosing an At-Will that doesn't control, but at the same time keeps around a spell that's ubiquitous in the DnD legacy.

I have similar problems with the Warlock's Eldritch Blast, but that's also an issue with how the class is set up and presented, so I'll leave that for another time.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
One of the wierd attractions I have for the spell is that as generic damage the spell is so nicely skinnable ;-), additionally mix in with the feat Reapers touch and its a conjurers blade. or hands that glow and explode when I touch something like iron fists oops comic book influence...

aco175

Legend
I'm liking the idea of having multiple missiles that are able to target more than one enemy. 1d4 at each tier, but only the first gets int. bonus. This seems to give the controller a bit more control. I could also go with push or even slide 1 square if you picture the missiles like guided rockets that could hit from any side.
As far as the counting as a ranged basic atk, I have yet to use that ability. I'm not even sure I can think of a time when I get a freeranged basic atk. Maybe another class power gives this, but it would seem to go to the front line fighters. I wonder changing this part to make it a basic atk, both melee and ranged would beef up the spell a bit.

Remove ads