• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Minor Change: Magic Missile

keterys

First Post
At one point I actually tinkered with a version of the wizard that got to choose whether to get magic missile or mage hand as an at-will, with magic missile being a minor action 1 damage and mage hand minor action slide 1 (both 1/round) and it being a distinctive feature of being a wizard...

But, eventually I decided my ideas are just a little too far afield, even if it does still upset me that wizards don't have controller class features (like strikers, defenders, leaders, do). :)

Adding an extra at-will to wizards is good, but I'd rather it was one that actually had a control aspect, any control aspect, and magic missile really doesn't do that for me.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
At one point I actually tinkered with a version of the wizard that got to choose whether to get magic missile or mage hand as an at-will, with magic missile being a minor action 1 damage and mage hand minor action slide 1 (both 1/round) and it being a distinctive feature of being a wizard... .

That mage hand ... minor to slide 1 is very cool really, movie wizards feel written all over it. range limit? .. I would be tempted to ignore the mini magic missile option entirely but then my brain started reskinning it and it sounds viable.... then I thought

Hey! your trick could be done sneaky by boosting cantrips to do as much as 1 pt of damage or slide and opponent 1 square if within 5 squares. This way no choice is made both options creep in under the hood. ... of course then there are details that have to be improvised on this attack which defense does it target can it have a damage type...which depends on how you describe it?

keterys

First Post
So, the plan was for the minor move/damage to be their unique controller feature... one really really good against minions and the other really good at moving the party and enemies to better spots for your zones and area attacks :)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I understood that... my idea was more like
Wizard class feature : Fundamental Mastery
"If you master the basics the possibilities are endless"
Your mastery of lesser magics not only allow you to weave them amidst everything you do (minor action) but gives them more impact than those of other wizards insert greater form for each cantrip.... At level one pick one lesser magic.. at level 11 pick another and at level 21 you have mastery of all cantrips.... shrug.

ghost sound can be made to deafen and decrease defenses by 1.
light can give a single opponent -1 on attack rolls
mage hand can be made to slide and opponent
prestidigitation can deliver a 1 hp attack.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Ah, I see. Or just do it all with mage hand. Either it's punching or pushing ;)

I'm sure Bigby would be proud.

heh, right.... to use the full set... clap them upside the ears to deafen and distract...it doesnt have to be a sound effect either

That brings back the concept of the founding wizards theme's for well paragon paths or in this case wizard class feature choices and feats which target spells of there archetypes.

Hogwarts here I come ;-)

jstomel

First Post
Is it just me, or is this how power creep happens? It's range 20, ammoless, attacks reflex, and does comparable damage to a longsword. What more do you want in an at will? Sure the ranger deals a little more damage with a bit longer range (with optimal builds), but he also attacks AC. MM allows the wizard to sit at the back of the party and just pick people off without exposing himself. It's plenty powerful if you play it right, and if that's not how you like to play your character then you have a wide variety of other at-will powers to choose from. The most valuable thing about MM is that it allows you to take out oposition back-line artilery without moving in close enough to be vulnurable to their front line flankers and soldiers. Wizards who move within viable melee range are dead wizards.

keterys

First Post
Or, it's lower range, lower damage, and doesn't get a proficiency bonus, compared to a longbow?

All that magic missile does is get 'close enough' to a longbow that a wizard can safely go 'Hey, I don't completely suck against a single target' when down to at-wills.

At-wills should do _something_ a basic attack does not. Forced movement, a status effect, damage, some interesting mechanic, anything at all.

aco175

Legend
Have we already talked about feats that would boost powers. I know that your wasting a feat and maybe MM just needs boosting anyway, but a feat that allows you to bump up one of your spells, or apply something to a few spells. I'm thinking more like the thief one that raises damage dice from opportunity atks.

Another idea is to have the spell get better like the cleric's healing word, so that a 6th level you can add X and 10th you get Y or Z. Maybe it would create more specilized or focused wizards.

Remove ads