Modiphius' Star Trek Now Includes DISCOVERY and PICARD

Modiphius has announced that their Star Trek license for their tabletop RPG has now been expanded to include Star Trek: Discovery and Star Trek: Picard products!

They also mention that the Tricorder Collectors Set -- "a digest size Original series themed pocket rulebook, dice, crew sheets, 3-part campaign, and a deluxe wearable box in the shape of a tricorder with magnetic lid" -- is coming next year.

Plus their Shackleton Expanse Campaign in Q3 2021.

Pictured is the Tricorder accessory for FASA's 1980s Star Trek RPG. I have two of these, for some reason (as well as three of the original RPG boxed sets and two boxed sets of the Starship Tactical Combat Simulator, and every sourcebook FASA ever made - you might say I was obsessed at the time). It has cardboard wheels which rotate to show different data in little slots in the cardboard cover.

tricorder.jpg

Von Ether

Legend
I have two of these, for some reason (as well as three of the original RPG boxed sets and two boxed sets of the Starship Tactical Combat Simulator, and every sourcebook FASA ever made - you might say I was obsessed at the time). It has cardboard wheels which rotate to show different data in little slots in the cardboard cover.
The Starship Tactical Combat Simulator was a pretty sweet game that might have been ahead of its time. It provided a fun game with solid choices but did not go on forever like Star Fleet Battles.

aramis erak

Legend
The Starship Tactical Combat Simulator was a pretty sweet game that might have been ahead of its time. It provided a fun game with solid choices but did not go on forever like Star Fleet Battles.

I played both.
I disagree with the "solid choices"...
It was faster, but it was also (barring bridge crew mode) far simpler, and luck mattered a bit more than SFB.

Von Ether

Legend
I played both.
I disagree with the "solid choices"...
It was faster, but it was also (barring bridge crew mode) far simpler, and luck mattered a bit more than SFB.
I also played both and we can agree to disagree.

For my style, I found STCS to be elegant vs far simpler and SFB a game where complexity is either confused for depth or a symptom of bloated content in trying to include everything in the name of simulation - for something that's fictional in the first place (as well as to create more supplements to feed the beast.)

Much like other games of that day like Car Wars and Battletech. If you're building literal tanks in Car Wars, you lost the essence of Car Wars and are submarines are really needed in BT?

But there are still people playing BT and SFB to this day but it's an uphill fight for them to get new blood, though. I wish there was more love for Car Wars, tbh.

Last edited:

Scribe Ineti

Explorer
Paramount have the movies, right? And CBS are the ones with all the TV Series? Then i can do with all CBS...I don't think the movies are all that great....I think TV Trek is the best part of Star Trek.
I never read any ST novels, so no idea if they have rights to those stories and content and if it is any good at all.
We can pull content and references from most Trek series (no Lower Decks, Prodigy, or SNW until ViacomCBS and Nickelodeon allow us to) and all movies except the JJverse. Can also reference comics, novels, video games, etc. I make sure we drop in Easter eggs into most of the STA products.
It does raise the question: Which seasons of Disco?
All of them.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases