• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monks and 2 weapon fighting

focallength

First Post
Ok heres a question for all you rules lawyers out there. If a monk takes the two weapon fighting feat, will this allow him (her) an extra attack when using flurry of blows? The two weapon fighting feat allowing an "off-hand" attack. I know flurry of blows is basically the same thing as 2-weapon fighting just better and this may be splitting hairs. But Im inclined to let a monk use flurry of blows and get an additional off hand attack with 2 weapon fighting. I.E two punches and a off hand kick (or 3-4 kicks and a off hand head butt).

Klaus

First Post
I predict this being moved to the Rules forum quickly...

This has been clarified in the D&D RUles FAQ. Basically, yes, Flurry and TWF stack. You must Flurry as your main weapon (taking the penalty for it) and take the -2 for TWF (with a light weapon).

So a Monk 1 that has TWF and wielded 2 kama would have 3 attacks (2 for Flurry and 1 for TWF), each at -4 to hit (-2 Flurry, -2 TWF).

Nifelhein

First Post
Anyway, what will really bother you is whether a monk using a reach weapon threatens all squares at 5' and al squares at 10'... ;)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Unless, during his previous turn, he decided to "fight this way" - gaining extra attacks from the Two-Weapon Fighting rules.

Ah, 'fight this way' rears its ugly head again.

I see no requirement for you to take the extra attack to be fighting this way. Just like you don't have to get a +2 flanking bonus to be flanking, right? ;)

We've been over this, haven't we? ;)

Oh, repeatedly ;)

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf said:
Ah, 'fight this way' rears its ugly head again.

I see no requirement for you to take the extra attack to be fighting this way. Just like you don't have to get a +2 flanking bonus to be flanking, right? ;)

A touch! A palpable touch! :D

To analogize, "Using the TWF rules to gain extra attacks = Fighting this way" is, to my mind, the "line test."

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
A touch! A palpable touch! :D

To analogize, "Using the TWF rules to gain extra attacks = Fighting this way" is, to my mind, the "line test."

Whereas to me, 'wielding a second weapon in your off-hand' is the line test, and 'gain an extra attack with that weapon' is the +2 bonus. It's available, but you're not required to avail yourself of it.

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads