D&D 5E Moving skills from Wisdom to Intelligence

Voadam

Legend
Animal handling might be a better fit for Charisma than Intelligence. It is basically persuasion for animals.

Perception switching to Int would make a closer call as for which to prioritize, wisdom saves versus perception and knowledges.

Survival is a weird one under this paradigm, int does not seem to fit well for camping and food gathering and dealing well with weather.

Voadam

Legend
Int is becoming more useful with every supplement.

Int saves are no longer rare, and when one happens, they generate nasty effects (Stun etc).
What are some examples of recent int saves? I am more familiar with core and 3rd party stuff than the latest WotC supplements.

NotAYakk

Legend
Bah, why go half way.

As a bonus action, you can suss out a weakness in a creature. Make an intelligence check opposed by the creature's passive deception (10+charisma+deception proficiency).

On a success you work out a weakness you can exploit. The next time you attack the creature or force it to make a save, the creature has vulnerability against the damage from the effect or attack (if the creature was resistant, they instead lose resistance; if they where immune to the damage, they instead become resistant), and you have advantage on the attack or the creature has disadvantage on the save.

If you fail to suss out a weakness, you cannot attempt it again on the same creature, ever. If you succeed, you cannot attempt it again until you exploit the weakness.

Appropriate skills may add proficiency to your intelligence check.

Xeviat

Hero
I would be more of a fan of moving wisdom save stuff to charisma or intelligence, and then making perception into wisdom saves. That would make Int and Cha more useful, reduce Wisdom's value, and remove Perception from being a must have skill.

Elodan

Adventurer
It’s ability checks with skill proficiencies. There’s nothing stopping you from calling for an Intelligence (Medicine) or Constitution (Survival) check. What’s in the PHB are just suggestions.

Shiroiken

Legend
You didn't really explain why you thought it was a bad idea. I feel like it would make INT much more tempting (and give value to players who choose to increase INT, not just wizards) while still leepong WIS a very important stat, due to the save.
I didn't say it was a bad idea, I just don't think it's a good one. From your post it looks like you're either looking for a reason to increase Int or weaken Wis. While an argument can be made for either, I don't think this is the best way to go about it. Additionally, most of the skills logically belong under the description of Wisdom, except for Medicine. Survival would completely overlap Nature if both were Int based. Finally, if you remove all skills from Wisdom, it is them empirically worse than Con, which at least also provides HP.

If you want to make Int less of a stat dump, I'd suggest you tie languages and tool proficiency to it. If you have a positive modifier, you get an additional one, but if you have a negative modifier you have to give up one. While this doesn't make many choose it for a 3rd highest score, it's not immidately regaled to lowest. Of course, I also use a lot of Int skill checks, including passive knowledge checks when determining how much info to immediately give the players.

Remove ads