• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ms Marvel (spoilers)

Ryujin

Legend
Really? The thing generated by the Mind Stone? You sure about that?
Sure? Of course not, however, they could have taken even rudimentary precautions instead of providing it with an easy route out, another programme to cannibalize, etc.. no even a sandboxed system?

EDIT - Then again I'm frequently disappointed by the lack of basic knowledge that's displayed in any of my fields of knowledge, in most media. It has to be quite egregious before it takes me right out of it, but it happens. Stuff that takes literally 30 seconds of Google search to know. (Hell, I'm still cheesed off at how the motorcycle tires in MI2 miraculously keep switching back and forth between DOT street and off-road knobby tires in a single chase/fight scene.)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'd take it a step further, given WiFi, Bluetooth, etc., and say at bare minimum Faraday Cage. Someone getting too close with a cell phone could be the end of the world.

What you do in this case is you put a copy of Jarvis on a box that lacks any wifi, bluetooth, or other transmitter hardware. Yes, that means you need to use a hardwire keyboard and mouse, and all peripherals used to probe the stone are wired, not wireless. In a sci-fi world like this, you run that box off an independent generator that also has no connectivity (so, no encoding signals sent out over power lines).

When your experiment is done, you turn off the Jarvis box, and use your repulsors to melt it into slag.

Staffan

Legend
You can argue as to whether they should have poked at it at all--Stark presented his argument as why, but you don't have to buy it--but once they did they did everything reasonable far as I can tell.
And there's the problem. Stark made the call. He didn't consult with anyone else (other than his sciencebro Banner). He knew he wouldn't have custody of the scepter for long, and he wanted to use it to build the Ultron project to "put a suite of armor around the world". He doesn't tell anyone other than Banner, because he doesn't "have time for a city hall debate" and he doesn't want to hear "the man was not meant to meddle medley". In other words, he knows that what he is doing is risky, and that many of his teammates would object, and he decides to go on anyway. Any consequences of that falls squarely on his (and Banner's) head(s).

And given the physical manifestations of the Mind Stone AI and of Jarvis in the lab, and seeing various machinery start churning, there would definitely have been the opportunity to stop things before they got out of hand, had someone just been monitoring things. But no, Stark and Banner went to a party instead, leaving the alien AI unattended.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Sure? Of course not, however, they could have taken even rudimentary precautions instead of providing it with an easy route out, another programme to cannibalize, etc.. no even a sandboxed system?

EDIT - Then again I'm frequently disappointed by the lack of basic knowledge that's displayed in any of my fields of knowledge, in most media. It has to be quite egregious before it takes me right out of it, but it happens. Stuff that takes literally 30 seconds of Google search to know. (Hell, I'm still cheesed off at how the motorcycle tires in MI2 miraculously keep switching back and forth between DOT street and off-road knobby tires in a single chase/fight scene.)

If you want to argue that most movies do some pretty off-hand things with handling of computer security, you wouldn't get an argument from me.
My take is that Tony took what seemed like good precautions in the context of the genre and medium at hand but things got out of hand in a bigger and more rapid way than he could have (again, given those two qualifiers) expected. Its easier to argue it was wrongheaded from the get-go, but he was still obsessed with what he forsaw coming in from space at some point (and in that regard, its not like he was exactly wrong).
But as I said, I'm willing to give the nod to some culpability there, since he did light the fuse, just not to the degree others are. On the other hand, blaming supers generically for either the Chitari invasion or the Hydra blowup on them does not even vaguely pass the sniff test.

Thomas Shey

Legend
And there's the problem. Stark made the call. He didn't consult with anyone else (other than his sciencebro Banner). He knew he wouldn't have custody of the scepter for long, and he wanted to use it to build the Ultron project to "put a suite of armor around the world". He doesn't tell anyone other than Banner, because he doesn't "have time for a city hall debate" and he doesn't want to hear "the man was not meant to meddle medley". In other words, he knows that what he is doing is risky, and that many of his teammates would object, and he decides to go on anyway. Any consequences of that falls squarely on his (and Banner's) head(s).

Not gonna agree. Expected risk is an issue too, and I don't think he could have reasonably expected the degree of problem he got.

And given the physical manifestations of the Mind Stone AI and of Jarvis in the lab, and seeing various machinery start churning, there would definitely have been the opportunity to stop things before they got out of hand, had someone just been monitoring things. But no, Stark and Banner went to a party instead, leaving the alien AI unattended.

I'm not sold by the time Ultron fried Jarvis, there was going to be much of anything anyone could do to stop him.

Hex08

Hero

The first time I recall really noticing this was during the TV show 24. Everyone on the show used a Sprint cell phone and, at the time, Sprint (my employer then) was a CDMA carrier and didn't use SIM cards but they were constantly referring to the phones SIM cards in the show. It was never enough to take me out of the show, probably because 24 was so over the top already, but I always thought it was a mistake that could be easily avoided.

Hex08

Hero
No, they didn't. Even today, without super-science, when working on an unknown system that might contain malware, you do so disconnected from any and all networks so whatever is there cannot spread. They failed to take even basic cybersecurity measures.
Maybe this is just Stark's arrogance at play? It's a stretch because he should know better but it's the best reason I can come up with.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Maybe this is just Stark's arrogance at play? It's a stretch because he should know better but it's the best reason I can come up with.

That certainly plays a big role in it.

But also his trauma. He is very, very scared of threats to the world. He really does want to put a suit of armor around the world, and (at that time) would not allow anyone, or anything - including simple good sense - get in the way of that goal.

Which brings us back around to Damage Control, actually. They are very, very afraid of people with superpowers...

New game coming out where you play as rival clean-up teams, all from Damage Control:

Stalker0

Legend
Really? The thing generated by the Mind Stone? You sure about that?
Nope, according to everything we know it couldn't work, but could some alien super intelligence figure it out. Sure....maybe they use atomic resonance or black body radiation or some other crazy thing to communicate beyond the black box.

Which is fine, I mean the goal is to have the plot happen. But now you have the plot happen because of the cunning of the villain, not the stupidity of the hero. And it reduces Stark's liability, yes it still happened on his watch, but any IT security professional could have looked at his settings and gone, "damn that's pretty good security". As opposed to, "oh yeah he could have done this, and this, and this, etc etc"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads