D&D 5E Mythic Odyssey's Mythic Actions

dave2008

Legend
Right, but a CR 21 creature in 5e is supposed to be a challenge to characters of nearly peak abilities. And granted it's one ability, so that's all I'm able to compare it to.
No, a CR 21 monster should be a challenge for group in the 10-12 lvl range.

EDIT: For example, a group of 6 10th lvl pcs has a (deadly) budget of 16,800 XP. A CR 21 monster's adjusted XP is 16,500 (33,000 x .05 per pg 83 of the DMG under "Party Size").

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
It's a little underwhelming when compared to what even low level PF2 monsters can do ... especially if I'm reading that correctly and it's a CR 21 monster.
PF2e monsters benefit from a complete different system that 5e monsters can't. They get +level and +10 crits. Those two together make then hit very hard. Neither of those exist in 5e. WotC shouldn't go about changing that now to make their monsters tougher, instead what you have to do is understand what that CR means for your group and adjust accordingly.

Now, WotC could give some advice on this (like if you have more than 4 PCs add 1 HP per CR for each PC above 4, or add +1 to AC and to hit bonus for each tier above 1st if you use magic items, etc.

dave2008

Legend
If you have three Legendary Actions, you spend two-thirds of that resource performing the bigger trick.
The point is that these are not Legendary Actions, they are Mythic Actions. Though it appears from this preview to use the same mechanic set up as Legendary Actions, I personally think it would be odd if that is really the case. We will know soon!

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
No, a CR 21 monster should be a challenge for group in the 10-12 lvl range.

EDIT: For example, a group of 6 10th lvl pcs has a (deadly) budget of 16,800 XP. A CR 21 monster's adjusted XP is 16,500 (33,000 x .05 per pg 83 of the DMG under "Party Size").

I hear yah about the math, but there is also this...

D&D said:
CHALLENGE RATING

When putting together an encounter or adventure, especially at lower levels, exercise caution when using monsters whose challenge rating is higher than the party’s average level. Such a creature might deal enough damage with a single action to take out adventurers of a lower level. For example, an ogre has a challenge rating of 2, but it can kill a 1st-level wizard with a single blow.

So you would be using not only a CR higher than the parties' level, it would be nearly twice?

Now, I know you have put a lot of work into high level stuff, so I am willing to be the one to conceed, but I would like to hear your thoughts?

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I don't really think challenge rating scales precisely at a 1:1 ratio. The power level of the characters certainly doesn't IMO. It;s also often the case that single monsters at a given CR are less of an issue than multiple monsters totaling that same CR. The big bags of hit points don't stack up very well in many cases.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I just remember reading that CR was basically a "you must be this high to ride" setting, and to be careful about creatures higher than the average party level.

A CR 21 is nearly twice the 10-12 range that dave2008 suggested, so I am curious.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Clipboard02.jpg

Remove ads