D&D 5E Mythic Odysseys of Theros Reviews

Did you, or will you, buy Mythic Odysseys of Theros

The people who work for WotC have their own morality - if they don't want to sell their product to racists they will accept a cut in profits if necessary.

But the bottom line is Hasbro is an international toy company who has to maintain a child friendly reputation world-wide. Bottom line says "don't make products for racists".

I think you're mixing up the words racism, stereotype, and ethnocentrism. They are are distinct. Racism is a very charged word, and one that does not appropriately describe the idea you want to convey.

I think you're mixing up the words racism, stereotype, and ethnocentrism. They are are distinct. Racism is a very charged word, and one that does not appropriately describe the idea you want to convey.
In the same way people mix up "passed on" and "dead". A euphemism is a euphemism - it doesn't make the thing it describes any more acceptable.

"Racism" is exactly the idea I want to convey.

I'm a Northerner. Northerner stereotype: "Call a spade a spade".

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
The people who work for WotC have their own morality - if they don't want to sell their product to racists they will accept a cut in profits if necessary.

But the bottom line is Hasbro is an international toy company who has to maintain a child friendly reputation world-wide. Bottom line says "don't make products for racists".
Are kungfu monks racist, or racist enough that they need to be removed? Are you saying that people who like them might be racist? I'm seriously asking.

In the same way people mix up "passed on" and "dead". A euphemism is a euphemism - it doesn't make the thing it describes any more acceptable.

"Racism" is exactly the idea I want to convey.

I'm a Northerner. Northerner stereotype: "Call a spade a spade".

um...no.

Racism is the belief that one race (skin color) is inherently (biologically/genetically, not culturally) superior.

Stereotype is an (often unfounded) impression about an individual belonging to a certain group.

Ethnocentrism is the belief that one's own culture is superior or more comfortable than others.

Please get your definitions correct if you want to insult someone.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
um...no.

Racism is the belief that one race (skin color) is inherently (biologically/genetically, not culturally) superior.

Stereotype is an (often unfounded) impression about an individual belonging to a certain group.

Ethnocentrism is the belief that one's own culture is superior or more comfortable than others.

Please get your definitions correct if you want to insult someone.
Nope.

Ethnocentrism is a facet of racism.

Stereotypes are often part of systems of racism, whether social, acedemic, or otherwise, but certainly exist outside that context.

Nope.

Ethnocentrism is a facet of racism.

Stereotypes are often part of systems of racism, whether social, acedemic, or otherwise, but certainly exist outside that context.

Those definitions wrong. They have been updated match current politics. I no long accept Oxford or Webster as dictionaries. They are unreliable.

Last edited:

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I just think monks in D&D are cool. They're fun to play, have neat abilities, and represent a cool archetype. I don't have a problem with their being adapted to a specific setting, if they do a good job. It would sadden me if they were pulled from the game.

Remove ads