D&D 5E Mythic Odysseys of Theros Reviews

Did you, or will you, buy Mythic Odysseys of Theros

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I agree, but . . . .

This is one of the problems I have with some D&D settings, both official and third-party. The drive to include player options for every class, no matter how poor the fit. The classic D&D monk, IMO, doesn't belong in a Greek-inspired setting. Neither do paladins, bards, and druids for that matter.

Sure, you can torture the concept a bit to make it work, like turning the monk/martial artist into a Spartan and/or Olympic Athlete . . . . this approach broadens classic D&D class archetypes too broadly to almost become meaningless.
Bards: Actors and Play-Writers.
Paladin: Gods'/Goddesses' Champion.
Druid: Ever heard of Periclymenus? He was a greek "demigod" in the myths who could shapeshift, similar to druids.

I understand not wanting to shove classes into a setting where it doesn't make sense, but I also think that it can make sense if you allow the players to develop characters.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Those of you sharing that Disney's Hercules or the Percy Jackson series inspired your appreciation of Greek myth . . . . you make me feel old.

Back when I was a kid . . . it was Bullfinch's Mythology or nothing! ;)
Percy Jackson was the thing that got me into mythology. I'm younger than most people here, probably.

When I recently re-read the series after getting way into D&D, I found myself analyzing each combat like a D&D game. It's weird, but helps inspire things for me.

Nope. Don't agree.

Anecdotal evidence shows that several of the groups in the area love that particular flavor. They also like Avatar flavor, and the girl from Firefly flipping out flavor.
I was responding to this post,
The classic D&D monk, IMO, doesn't belong in a Greek-inspired setting.
which implies that they aren't happy with monk being refluffed to anything other than kung fu guy.

Although why they think a naked warrior would be less at home in pseudo-ancient Greece than pseudo-medieval Europe I don't understand.

But, in the end, if WotC decide the monk can't be separated from a racist stereotype it will be dropped from 6e, no matter how many groups are in love with it.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I was responding to this post,
which implies that they aren't happy with monk being refluffed to anything other than kung fu guy.

Although why they think a naked warrior would be less at home in pseudo-ancient Greece than pseudo-medieval Europe I don't understand.

But, in the end, if WotC decide the monk can't be separated from a racist stereotype it will be dropped from 6e, no matter how many groups are in love with it.
I really doubt that. You still have to keep happy the people who actually buy your product, not just the ones who are talking about it. Money will remain WotC's bottom line.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Those of you sharing that Disney's Hercules or the Percy Jackson series inspired your appreciation of Greek myth . . . . you make me feel old.

Back when I was a kid . . . it was Bullfinch's Mythology or nothing! ;)

My son's were both big fans of the Percy Jackson novels and The Olympians set of comics, but I can't get them to ready my copy of Bullfinch's Mythology. :.-(

I really doubt that. You still have to keep happy the people who actually buy your product, not just the ones who are talking about it. Money will remain WotC's bottom line.
The people who work for WotC have their own morality - if they don't want to sell their product to racists they will accept a cut in profits if necessary.

But the bottom line is Hasbro is an international toy company who has to maintain a child friendly reputation world-wide. Bottom line says "don't make products for racists".

Last edited:

Remove ads