nerdytenor's The Missing Warlock

nerdytenor

First Post
After a short and uneventful journey through dilapidated roads and barren farms, your group of adventurers arrives at the town of Greensfen. In truth, 'town' might be a bit of a strong word to describe what you find there - abandoned homes, wandering beggars and signposts asking for help in finding the missing are to be seen everywhere. Your letter of invitation (and possible reward) specified the town hall as a meeting place, but you are hard pressed to identify it. The town center has no more than a handful of buildings, none of them much larger than any other.

Just as you are contemplating which doors to begin knocking on, you are approached by a tall man. He looks as though he hasn't slept in a long time. He eyes you warily, then sighs, relaxing his grip on his sheathed sword. "Well, you certainly don't look like you belong here, but I suppose if you were brigands, you would have caused some trouble by now. What brings you to Greensfen if I may ask? If you need a place to stay, well," he half laughs, gesturing to the abandoned buildings around him, "I'm sure I can find you a place for a small price."

As you begin to show him your letter, he cries out "By the Gods! You are most welcome to Greensfen, most welcome indeed! I did not hold out much hope that any would answer my letters. But excuse me, I have not introduced myself. I am Dardus, mayor of Greensfen. Well, blacksmith anyway. The official mayor hasn't been seen in two years, and I doubt we'll be seeing him ever again. He was a good enough mayor when times were good, but when the blight came..." Anger briefly flashes across Dardus's face, and he spits into the dirt. "Anyway, I have a small group of guards around town, but I cannot guarantee your safety even in the town center. Follow me to my smithy and I till tell you more when we arrive.
"

[sblock=OOC]
All PC actions are on pause until character creation is complete.
OOC thread is http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?p=4403660#post4403660
[/sblock]

nerdytenor

First Post
Inside Dardus's Smithy

You arrive at the workplace of Dardus. Scraps of metal litter the room, and there are pieces of weaponry scattered around in various states of disrepair. "Come, have a seat," he says, settling unceremoniously on the stone floor. You do likewise.

"It all started two years ago. Some of our crops started developing a strange black blight. At first our farmers shrugged it off. But it only seemed to get worse. Nothing seemed to get rid of it, not even burning entire fields and replanting. The first season passed with some two thirds of our crop gone. Now I'm no farmer, but there were those who had plowed our fields for some fifty years, and never seen anything like it."

"The people of Greensfen are a sensible folk, and we pulled together. Most folks had money saved, and enough stored food to get through that first year. I actually had some pride in our town back then, seeing our neighbors help each other. But then the second season came, and then, I'm sorry...." Dardus holds up his hands, tearing up a bit. After regaining his composure, he continues...

"The second season was a nightmare. None, and I mean none of our local fields produced. All the food was tainted. People began to starve. Some of the same folks who had been helping others turned to theft. Some even tried to eat the blighted crops, despite the awful taste. The awful taste was a blessing, it turns out, as all those who ate the blighted crop were afflicted with a horrible sickness of decay, ending in death or madness. The mad ones mostly fled - the rest were driven out. It pains me to say it now, but the most sensible folk left the town in search of a better life elsewhere."

"I must say, In my forty years living in Greensfen, having lived through two wars and my fair share of lean years, I never thought we'd be destroyed by an infection. A blasted infection!" He slammed his fist into the hard floor with alarming force. "Those of us that remain are here out of choice - this is our home, and we plan to reclaim it. We have been working for pittances doing menial jobs in nearby towns, making just enough to feed ourselves while we pull ourselves together."

nerdytenor

First Post
Introductions

"Well, most folks and neighboring townsfolk know much of this. I like to think I'm a good judge of character, and you seem decent folk, but I've been proved wrong too many times to count in the last year. So before I tell you anything more, I'd like to hear what you can tell me about yourselves first."

[sblock=OOC]
You may now do character introductions as you see fit (no skill checks or anything - we'll get to that soon enough)
[/sblock]

The Digger

First Post
"My name is Joshua" said a stern-looking young man, curtly. He was about 20 years of age and looked as though a smile had never, or almost never, crossed his face. He was of medium height and a wiry build, with a body that looked hard and tough. He wore non-descript clothing and a stained set of leather armour. He had several sheathed daggers and would have looked like some kind of rogue were it not for the long staff he carried. No ordinary fighting staff or walking staff was this. Those kinds of staff were seldom carved in such an elaborate fashion, with curves and loops that seemed to baffle the eye. Neither were they usually topped with a large red crystal that somehow gleamed even in the semi-darkness of the smithy. The boy's - no! - the young man's complexion was very pale as if no amount of exposure to the sun would tan it. His blue eyes and very short light blonde hair only added to the glowing whiteness of his head and face which was only marred by his neatly trimmed beard.

"I come from Rhest originally and I travel to study the Arts," somehow the listeners knew he did not mean music and dancing or the like. "I met up with my friends recently and we decided to travel together for a time so that we might aid each other in our respective endeavours. We heard of your troubles and the tales of your infection...intrigued me."

He stopped and looked at the others as if he had exhausted his available store of words.

covaithe

Explorer
I'm someone capable and willing to help, of your letter isn't lying about a reward, snarls a slim young elven woman. Dressed in scuffed brown leathers that seem to blend in with the walls. Her face is lean and hard, neck corded with wiry muscle. She has constantly circled the room since she arrived, pacing from shadow to shadow, avoiding windows except to glance quickly out of them in passing. "I don't see why you need to know more than that. Situation like yours, you should be explaining to us why we should bother helping you instead of getting out of here as fast as we can and scrubbing ourselves raw at the first bath we can find."

After a warning look from one of the others, she continues reluctantly, "Call me Karis, if you must. But don't spread it around. And if I find out you've tricked us, I'll kill you and spit on your corpse." She says the last as calmly as if she were remarking on the weather.

BlueLotus

Explorer
I am Moreen says the armored human woman stepping forward. Her armor is a perfect fit and almost looks in pristine condition, as if never used in battle. Gold Dwarven glyphs line the fringes of each piece that look as if each one was custom made for the wearer. She lacks her shield and helmet, both left on Luna her horse. Though the armor looks as if it may have seen combat once or twice with a nick here and a scratch there, the woman beneath carries herself as a veteran warrior would. Her almond face is framed by a her raven black hair cascading down in a simple bob that reaches to her shoulders. She is of an average height and weight. She has grey eyes that once held wide eyed innocence, but now have a strained look that does not fit with her other youthful, vibrant features. Unseen beneath her armor is a toned body from rigorous drills and sparing. At her belt is a simple longsword and dagger. Moreen Lantra, servant and sword of Erathis, an anointed paladin. she continues, though her face and voice do not have the typical characteristics of a proud and haughty knight but is rather sullen.

I am troubled to hear of your crops and your woes. I will offer my assistance alongside my companions that already have. Though your reward is not necessary, it will put food in my belly and a roof over my head for a time. she says with a wry smile.

Last edited:

PennStud77

First Post
An large and imposing dragonborn takes half a step forward into the silence following Moreen's words. He is just over 6 1/2 feet tall with golden scales covering the entirety of his burly physique. He is adorned with sturdy brown boots that end just above large sturdy feet. Over the rest of his body, a suit of thousands of fire-red links of chain compose a suit that fits snugly across a muscular frame. The dragonborn still has a touch of the look of youth, but his eyes betray the trappings of youth with the look of someone who has begun to see the world for what it truly is outside of the bubble we all grow up inside.

As he opens his mouth to talk, his brow furrows above blood-red eyes looking at the blacksmith intelligently. Mr. Dardus, Todarr. I am very sorry to hear of the plight of the townsfolk during these difficult times, but I am confused. I do not think that any of my companions or myself are qualified to confront an infection. You must have leads as to who caused this infection, otherwise you would not have put a call out for adventurers he says with the hint of a question.

The Digger

First Post
I’m off to Scotland this evening for a few days. Based on previous trips internet access will be unlikely.

Please try not to kill me off before I return (Pleeease!)

I will back at my computer Monday evening (GMT)

The Digger

nerdytenor

First Post
No worries

I will do my best to keep you alive. :) (I will make obvious moves for you in your absence).

Have a nice trip.

I’m off to Scotland this evening for a few days. Based on previous trips internet access will be unlikely.

Please try not to kill me off before I return (Pleeease!)

I will back at my computer Monday evening (GMT)

The Digger

nerdytenor

First Post
The narrative continues

Dardus chuckles. "Yes, Todarr, you are right - I would not call on heroes such as yourselves for help in farming matters. Your mission is one of rescue. But the one you are rescuing is no farmer, either. Let me explain."

"Mardrick, a man born in Greensfen, was one of the few who decided to stay in the town after the second year of blight. A thin, bookish sort, I must admit I never assumed him to be a man of much courage, meaning no offense to you, Joshua, of course. Unlike those of us trained in arms, he decided to put his mind to the problem that has beseiged our town. He began doing some arcane research, gathering samples of blighted crops nearby, even venturing into areas I do not permit my men to visit, for the danger from bandits and wild creatures is too great."

"After a short time, Mardrick became convinced that the blight was unnatural - magical, even. He became a quick student of the dark arts, so that he might understand better what was happening. The last meeting I had with him, he claimed to be closing in on the source of the blight. That meeting was over a week ago."

"Fortunately, I know from our last talk where he was gathering his samples. My forces are too thin to send a search party and defend the town from brigands at the same time, which is where you come in. Find Mardrick. I do not hold out much hope that he is alive, but whatever he was researching out there could prove invaluable to us. Anything you can find, no matter how small, could mean the difference in the very survival of our town."

"As for your reward," he said, glancing furtively at Karis, "we haven't much. Alive or dead, if you can find Mardrick, you may have whatever arcane objects he owned. I have been made to know that they are quite valuable, even if I have no idea how afforded such things. If you find a way to reverse the blight, we can promise you 500 gold, paid after the town has begun to mend."

"Before you decide to go or not, I would like you to meet Elloen, Mardrick's wife. She feels certain Mardrick is dead, and out of respect for her deep grief, I have not bothered her. Even if the reward seems meagre to adventurers such as yourself, I feel certain that once you meet Elloen her grief alone will be enough to spur you on. But to convince you is not the only reason we must see her."

"Mardrick brought most of his magical devices with him on his forays, but not all. Some may remain with Elloen, and they may provide clues to his whereabouts. We must convince Elloen to lend them to us, even though she is convinced the cause is lost. Come, let us go!" Without giving you any time to object, he heads out of the smithy, and you follow.

[sblock=OOC]
Your characters will receive the gold immediately for purposes of tracking on your character sheet (assuming you complete the quest, of course) :)
[/sblock]

Remove ads