D&D 5E New class options in Tasha

Li Shenron

Legend
The issue with this though is that there are no other ways to do some of those challenges.

If you need to telepathically contact someone far away, there is a single spell that does that. Two if you count the sending spell. If you don't have that spell, you cannot succeed. Teleporting without a teleportation circle? Literally a single spell, two if you count going to a different plane via plane shift (which has it's own problems)

The fact of the matter is that if you design a series of encounters where having a single spell counters the encounter, and you speciifically map them to spells the sorcerer knows... then yes, this ends up powerful. But, you have also set up a scenario where they were going to be stymied or stuck without those spells, with no other way through. Is there another way through? Then why are we waiting 24 hours for the sorcerer to sleep for the day?

To my ears, that sounds like BAD ADVENTURE DESIGN. No other way to do a challenge? You cannot succeed if you don't have a specific spell? But that's exactly what Spell Versatility encourages. Why should I bother as a DM to come up with an interesting challenge, if the PCs can just sleep it over and get the perfect spell in the morning? Why should I bother as a player to think about how to solve that challenge, if I can just wait until tomorrow?

Sure the DM can than force the adventure pacing so that sleeping over is not possible. That's a solution just as bad as the problem created by Spell Versatility. The whole issue is mostly about travel, exploration , communication, knowledge, most of which can be paced faster, but if you are forced to fast-paced them in order to avoid the PCs taking advantage of Spell Versatility... then why the hell having Spell Versatility in the game at all?

Hohige

Explorer
To my ears, that sounds like BAD ADVENTURE DESIGN. No other way to do a challenge? You cannot succeed if you don't have a specific spell? But that's exactly what Spell Versatility encourages. Why should I bother as a DM to come up with an interesting challenge, if the PCs can just sleep it over and get the perfect spell in the morning? Why should I bother as a player to think about how to solve that challenge, if I can just wait until tomorrow?

Sure the DM can than force the adventure pacing so that sleeping over is not possible. That's a solution just as bad as the problem created by Spell Versatility. The whole issue is mostly about travel, exploration , communication, knowledge, most of which can be paced faster, but if you are forced to fast-paced them in order to avoid the PCs taking advantage of Spell Versatility... then why the hell having Spell Versatility in the game at all?
Any PC takes ritual caster, they can cast Leomund's tiny hut and forces a long rest.

Hohige

Explorer
LOL How so?
Duration 8 hours
  • A 10-foot-radius immobile dome of force springs into existence around and above you and remains stationary for the duration. The spell ends if you leave its area.
    Nine creatures of Medium size or smaller can fit inside the dome with you. The spell fails if its area includes a larger creature or more than nine creatures. Creatures and objects within the dome when you cast this spell can move through it freely. All other creatures and objects are barred from passing through it. Spells and other magical effects can’t extend through the dome or be cast through it. The atmosphere inside the space is comfortable and dry, regardless of the weather outside.
    Until the spell ends, you can command the interior to become dimly lit or dark. The dome is opaque from the outside, of any color you choose, but it is transparent from the inside.

It is a safe place for a long rest inside a dungeon. o_O

Vael

Legend
Which translates into "You don't get it." ;)

Was there an error in my recap of your argument? You didn't bother to correct me, just insult me, so I am glad this is to be the end of this snide comments followed by emoticons. ;-)

I'm not going to bother replying to you about this anymore. Obviously you have a different play style which warrants thinking this won't be an issue. It is obviously broken and a badly designed feature that is apparent to many others and their styles of play.

I mean, if you want to play the popularity game, I'd point out that these rules were first tested out last November, and according to WotC, had one of the most overwhelmingly positive survey results. So many others apparently disagree :)

BIEEE !! :)

Remove ads