D&D 5E New D&D Player Survey!

Dragonlance will always have a special place in my heart as the first D&D world I encountered (via the novels). In another reality, it might have been FR. They might be different flavours of vanilla, but that's enough for me to have a preference for one over the other.
That's reasonable but I wonder if it works from a new player perspective, like, if you're new to D&D now, does it benefit WotC to offer multiple flavours of vanilla? I vaguely suspect it does but I don't have clear reasoning I admit. More of a sort of "vibe" lol.

delericho

Legend
That's reasonable but I wonder if it works from a new player perspective, like, if you're new to D&D now, does it benefit WotC to offer multiple flavours of vanilla? I vaguely suspect it does but I don't have clear reasoning I admit. More of a sort of "vibe" lol.
It's a good question.

They seem to be positioning Dragonlance as being all about wars and war-based campaigning, which in theory should give it a different-enough flavour. I have no idea what they might do with Greyhawk. I guess it might sell well enough based on the "see where it all started!" push? If they do it at all, that is.

Personally, I'd think to position Greyhawk as the "Appendix N" setting, warts and all. And if you don't feel you can publish that due to problematic material (even with a disclaimer) - and they probably wouldn't - I'd be inclined to leave it.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I'd bet that to some degree we buy fewer setting products, because when you get down to it, you can use the 1e, 2e, 3e and 4e FR setting products to run a 5e game if you want to,
Spoken for truth. And yet despite probably having a lot of the products from those editions to use in our games, we still seem to get all up in arms a lot about any changes that occur with the 5E versions they make, LOL.

I think DriveThu at this point is actually missing out on a massive revenue stream if they could only reprint the actual products from 1E, 2E etc. but just replace the covers with a 5E design motif. That way veteran players can get the exact products they want, but it has that 5E sheen. ;)

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I'm a fan of the game, not the fluff. Any setting that gives me the tools I want for an interesting game is good.
I feel the same way. Pretty much all my group's 5E games have been official FR adventures and stuff spun off of those, and yet I couldn't care less about the FR. I love playing, and parts of DMing, and I love any chunks of material that expand the gaming experience.
With their multiverse approach, settings and mini-settings might be all the rage. WOTC' recent and upcoming products have a very wide range of flavors. Since they own the rights to things that on the surface might seem very similar (vanilla fantasy), they could focus on certain regions or time periods of those settings as a way to differentiate them more.

Stormonu

Legend
I've never considered Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, or Dragonlance as unique to be their own settings. Certainly you can just shoehorn the best parts of Greyhawk into a continent of Forgotten Realms. Have the Free City be a rival to Waterdeep or something. Let your characters see both places - why not?
Bah, might as well say there isn’t any difference between Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings. King’s Landing vs. Minas Tirith.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases