WotC New D&D survey from WotC

Dausuul

Legend
I know very little about how MtG works, but would it be possible to make a version/edition/whatever that tweaks the rules to make it feel more familiar for D&D players?
It really isn't, I'm afraid. It would be much easier to retool D&D for the benefit of Magic players than vice versa.

The comprehensive Magic rules are incredibly intricate, refined over many years. Casual players need the game to work in the way they intuitively expect (and nothing is more complicated than human intuition). Competitive players need precise and definitive answers to all rules questions. It makes for a beast of a ruleset, and every tiny change must be made with great care.

And on top of that, there are 25 years' worth of printed cards stretching back to Alpha, with more coming out every year, and the rules must be able to handle every single one of them. Imagine if each new edition of D&D had to include errata to bring every D&D sourcebook ever published--back to the white box--up to date with the new rules.

Last edited:

Rikka66

Adventurer
I know very little about how MtG works, but would it be possible to make a version/edition/whatever that tweaks the rules to make it feel more familiar for D&D players?

That might depend on what kind of tweaks you're thinking of or what you mean by "more familiar", but the answer is most likely 'no'.

MtG does have the Archenemy format, where one player uses a special overpowered deck to face a group of other players, but it's still a far cry from D&D.

Stormonu

Legend
On 1E/2E compatibility, we use a lot of 1E content "grandfathered" into 2E, such as 1E monks and cantrips (hated the 2E cantrip spell). The 2E preview even encouraged doing this.

As for 6E, I know its coming down the road, but I dread when it does as I'm not likely to switch. I suspect that it will mostly be a chance to incorporate errata and make some fixes (remove alignments, fix the ranger again, switch the druid companion/shapeshifting rules about), but I've long gotten off edition treadmills.

I do think WotC could stretch 5E with continued adventures and campaign settings, but the character-facing content seems to be running low/dry with what I see from Tasha's. At some point they're going to hit diminishing returns and will have to try something new to keep the game alive.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
On 1E/2E compatibility, we use a lot of 1E content "grandfathered" into 2E, such as 1E monks and cantrips (hated the 2E cantrip spell). The 2E preview even encouraged doing this.

As for 6E, I know its coming down the road, but I dread when it does as I'm not likely to switch. I suspect that it will mostly be a chance to incorporate errata and make some fixes (remove alignments, fix the ranger again, switch the druid companion/shapeshifting rules about), but I've long gotten off edition treadmills.

I do think WotC could stretch 5E with continued adventures and campaign settings, but the character-facing content seems to be running low/dry with what I see from Tasha's. At some point they're going to hit diminishing returns and will have to try something new to keep the game alive.
it is more likely the designer do not know of any good ideas to work from that fit in classic Dnd hence a new different setting is needed to push things further along.

for more modern and future tech settings I have ideas, also one mix of mythic and super hero ideas for the barbarian.

Remove ads