D&D 5E New DM Question on Options

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Xanathar's Guide to Everything is the main player options expansion. You seem to be familiar with what's in there options wise so I will just point out that many in the community feel that the spell Healing Spirit is unbalanced. It's fine if used in combat as enemies can break concentration, but the problem is that when used out of combat uninterrupted it is a disproportionate amount of healing compared to other spells of its level.

Just a quick note, healing spirit has been officially errata'd:

The following text has been appended to the second paragraph: “The spirit can heal a number of times equal to 1 + your spellcasting ability modifier (minimum of twice). After healing that number of times, the spirit disappears.”

aco175

Legend
If you want to get the hang of things, I would recommend one of the starter box sets. I would go with Lost Mines of Phandelver first- it lays out how to play 5e. You can always change things as you get the hang of it.

I'm currently running a campaign that started at level 1 and player characters are now at level 17. I allow just about everything. So far, nothing in the game is noticeably broken or unbalanced. At certain levels, PCs will gain new abilities that let them easily annihilate foes that used to be challenging. The biggest jumps in power I've seen are at level 5 and level 11. Level 13 brings online 7th level spells, which can really change things, too. All of those required some adjustment on my part. But none of it was broken. It just required a different way of creating challenges.

Tom Bagwell

Explorer
Thanks for all the advice...very helpful. Both in what was said and in what wasn't said.
(pming...coincidentally, I also started running/playing in '81...)

My original plan had been to include a lot of options. I'll scale back on that, but I'll need to pull in some of the various options to represent certain classes and abilities as they exist in the setting. (It's a mixed setting, some homebrew based on the setting for the Darkurthe Legends RPG from the '90s. Not a great rules-set, but a setting that's been very popular with my groups over the years.)

I'm approaching this more as a new system than new D&D. It's literally been 30 years or more since I've played it.

[I suggested running the game set in Wildemount or Forgotten Realms. The answer I got was, "Hm. What about Darkurthe, could you set it there?" It's a bit of a hodgepodge of tropes with a couple of neat twists, but with a lot of hooks and a lot of white space that I can use to customize it to my campaign.]

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Choosing the options that best fit your vision for the setting and theme is the best way to drive everything toward a strong play experience, so I heartily recommend keeping that as your focus as you make your choices. Good luck!

Shiroiken

Legend
I do intend to use RAW as much as possible. Over the years I've developed an aversion to house rules until I'm very familiar with the system.
This is a wise decision. There are many things people scream BROKEN about that really aren't. The only thing I've seen in a player section that was truely broken they errated (Healing Spirit from XGtE). I would suggest sticking to the PHB for your first time out, and probably only running a short campaign, starting from 1 and stopping somewhere around 5-7. This should give you a decent idea about the overall structure of the edition.

One last thing you probably don't need to be told, since you didn't player 3E or 4E. The game is very much designed around the DM's resolution of actions. Not everything requires a roll, either because it's obviously easy or impossible. In addition, the DM is expected to make their own interpretations of rules, which can be somewhat vague (this was deliberate).

Asisreo

Patron Badass
I've run games for decades...but no D&D since it was AD&D. I see a lot of sources to draw on for Class Options, Backgrounds, etc. Some fit well with what I'm looking for...but I was wondering if there were any that I should steer clear of -- ones that might be overpowered, unbalanced, or can cause problems. Are there sources you always go with? Sources you avoid? Specific elements?
I suggest swallowing your gamer, designer, storytelling pride and put your nose in the DMG. At the very least, skim through the large majority of it and have it next to you when you create your adventure.

Most of these Ancient Artifacts known as forumers, including me, can be too know-it-all to actually realize how they should actually structure and run an adventure.

Don't try to fix what isn't broken. And changing the rules should be the last resort, not default. If someone sees their ranger isn't up to what they thought they'd be, erase a couple chunks of your world and put their favored terrain there with a couple of adventures where the ranger's abilities are useful. Don't be talked into adding UA into your game, even from us. They aren't all bad, but it can easily be overwhelming for a new DM even if the UA is balanced.

NotAYakk

Legend
Strange things about 5e:

* Almost every d20 roll is one of three things. An attack, an ability check (skill rolls are ability checks, as is initiative) or a saving throw. The three act very similar, but different rules apply, mainly in what modifies them.

For example, bless boosts attacks abd saving throws. Guildance and Jack of all Trades boosts abilith checks.

* When a PC wants to do something and it isn't an attack, ask for an ability check. Pick an ability. They can then ask "will religion skill help"? If so, they also get proficiency.

There is a chart in the for what the DC should be; "basically impossible" is 30, for example.

If someone is trying to break a door, the check is not for bashing it once, it is for trying as hard as you can. You don't automatically get a new check if you say "I bash it again"; you could lower the DC if you find a better solution than your boot.

* CR math is annoying. There are encounter size multipliers are meh.

But the 5e power curve gets pretty flat from level 5 to 10.

So eyeballing it works if you dislike math. (I like math, so do complex naughty word to fix it; many alternative systems exist).

Large numbers of foes can slaughter PCs faster than big dragons.

* The short/long rest structure is the hardest thing to keep on an even keel if you don't want certain classes to make others look like incompetents.

If you are running stuff yourself, consider the "gritty" rest, where a short rest is overnight and a long is a week.in civilization. It makes a lot of non-dunegon crawl plots work better (but it does weaken PCs significantly; so module plots won't work as well).

* Flanking, while cool, ends up making advantage less cool.

Give out and take advantage liberally in combat (to monsters; have them claim higher ground, for example). Don't do flanking, because it takes away that minigame and replaces it with a boring one.

* Determine how much you will permit rogues to hide in combat. If it isn't often, let a rogue PC know and possibly make a different PC (a gloomstalker ranger makes a decent rogue that doesn't rely as much on in combat stealth, for example).

* UA is playtest stuff, often has issues. Setting book stuff is a notch above. The "everything" books have, so far (sample of 1) been more solid.

As others have mentioned, the PHB ranger has issues. At level 1 they are a weaker fighter with two ribbon (mechanically weak) abilities. There is lots of UA and Xanthar's material for Rangers as a result.

* My biggest problem with feats is that monks lack many fun feats to pick that provide hefty boosts.

* Most magic items require attunement; this puts a 3 item cap on what each PC owns. 5e is designed so that there should be no magic item shops; sure, items for sale, but you should treat items for sale like they are a treasure horde, not a buffet.

Remove ads