D&D 5E New DM Question on Options

Tom Bagwell

Explorer
I've run games for decades...but no D&D since it was AD&D. I see a lot of sources to draw on for Class Options, Backgrounds, etc. Some fit well with what I'm looking for...but I was wondering if there were any that I should steer clear of -- ones that might be overpowered, unbalanced, or can cause problems. Are there sources you always go with? Sources you avoid? Specific elements?

When you're starting out, you should definitely just stick with the core books, and the core rules. Don't let anyone try to talk you into multi-classing or feats. Those so-called "optional rules" are notoriously unbalanced and poorly tested.

And for the love of Vecna, don't even think about "Xanathar's Guide to Everything"; more like "Xanathar's Guide to Everything You Don't Need," amirite?

As for the options in the DMG, you might be tempted to use one of the healing variants that changes the duration of a rest, or the amount you recover during a rest. These are mostly fine, regardless of how you combine them. You might end up changing how the game plays out, or encourage certain playstyles over others, but it's mostly a matter of taste.

Last edited:

I've run games for decades...but no D&D since it was AD&D. I see a lot of sources to draw on for Class Options, Backgrounds, etc. Some fit well with what I'm looking for...but I was wondering if there were any that I should steer clear of -- ones that might be overpowered, unbalanced, or can cause problems. Are there sources you always go with? Sources you avoid? Specific elements?

It's all balanced just fine.

I'd suggest keeping it to the PHB to start with until PCs get to (say) 5th level, and then (once you're familiar with the rules) allow them to rebuild their PCs with all books open to them.

The most important class and encounter balancing tool in the game is how you run your 'adventuring days' - namely how many encounters the players get between short (and long) rests.

Long rest resources (spell slots, rages) are much more potent than short rest resources (superiority dice etc), and different classes get more from different types of rests, and different length adventuring days.

The game is (roughly) balanced around 6 or so encounters and 2 or so Short rests per Long rest (with a Long rest usually an overnight affair) as a median. Roughly 2 encounters per Short rest, and 6 encounters per Long rest.

Your first step as DM is to consider this and implement whatever rules or variants you need to ensure you hit this 6/2 per Long rest mark roughly 50 percent of the time (other 'adventuring days' can feature a single encounter, or a dozen encounters over multiple days with no chance to long rest, or more short rests per long rest or fewer).

You dont need rules for it; 'Doom clocks' are narrative tools that achieve the same thing. But there is also the 'Gritty realism' variant in the DMG that makes long resting much harder (and is appropriate for campaigns where the median is only 0-3 encounters in any one 24 hour period of game time - i.e. any campaigns away from dungeons).

Personally I use a rule that shortens Short rests to only 5 minutes long, but limits them to a max of 2 every Long rest, with at least 1 hour between rests. That way they're much easier to take, and less jarring for the narrative than 1 hour breaks in the action.

I do have a pretty 'dungeon heavy' campaign though so YMMV.

I honestly cant stress this enough though. How you manage the 'adventuring day' and rest/ resource management of your players will affect balance more than any other decision you make as a DM. If you sit by and let players 'nova' and then long rest, classes will be totally out of balance, and encounters will turn into rocket tag as you ramp up the difficulty to match those nova tactics.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
When you're starting out, you should definitely just stick with the core books, and the core rules.

This will work fine, but I've found PHB+1 works fine too.

Don't let anyone try to talk you into multi-classing or feats. Those so-called "optional rules" are notoriously unbalanced and poorly tested.

Heavily disagree on feats. Feats are a fun addition to the game and only a select few (easily found with a quick Google search) present any balance problems.

As for multiclassing - it can be problematic on certain combinations, but again, almost all are fine if even a bit under powered.

And for the love of Vecna, don't even think about "Xanathar's Guide to Everything"; more like "Xanathar's Guide to Everything You Don't Need," amirite?

I'm scratching my head on this one. Xanathar's presents some VERY good options. For example, the Ranger subclasses go a long way toward bringing the Ranger up to par. And the Zealot Barbarian is a better berserker than the frenzied berserker (though it may be a bit too "magicky" for some tastes.) In terms of power creep, it's not bad at all.

As for the options in the DMG, you might be tempted to use one of the healing variants that changes the duration of a rest, or the amount you recover during a rest. These are mostly fine, regardless of how you combine them. You might end up changing how the game plays out, or encourage certain playstyles over others, but it's mostly a matter of taste.

Change the base rest assumptions without first trying RAW? that's tricky, especially if you're running modules! I'd stick to RAW until you get a feel for it, then change according to your taste (but I've found the standard sufficient) .

As for advice - run things by RAW before houseruling or too many varients.

I'd advise against the Flanking rules (where flanking provides advantage), they make advantage way too easy to get.

I favor weapons and armor that have interesting properties over plussed items (+1, +2 etc.) with bounded accuracy item bonuses add up fast, much faster then prior editions. - be careful giving them out.

Tom Bagwell

Explorer
Thanks, good advice so far. Especially regarding resource management...thanks Flamestrike!

I do intend to use RAW as much as possible. Over the years I've developed an aversion to house rules until I'm very familiar with the system.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I honestly cant stress this enough though. How you manage the 'adventuring day' and rest/ resource management of your players will affect balance more than any other decision you make as a DM. If you sit by and let players 'nova' and then long rest, classes will be totally out of balance, and encounters will turn into rocket tag as you ramp up the difficulty to match those nova tactics.

^THIS

And it goes both ways, for example, if you have a monk (or warlock) in your group and you don't allow for enough short rests the class will seem underpowered. Allow for enough short rests and the class works well.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I concur with @Saelorn that if this is going to be you and your player's first time playing 5E... stick with just the Player's Handbook and not bother with feats or multiclassing, as it's the easiest and safest route to go. While some will claim that you lose a lot of options by not using feats or any other books... if you are just starting out you don't need additional options than what you'll get in the race, class, and background sections of the PHB. There are more than enough features to use and learn there without having your players go cross-eyed reading the pages upon pages upon pages of other stuff that have been made to give characters more options to choose from.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases