D&D 5E New Eberron Book Details From WotC

WotC’s Jeremy Crawford appeared on Twitch last night with Bart Carroll, discussing the upcoming D&D setting book Eberron: Rising from the Last War. Lots of details within!
WotC’s Jeremy Crawford appeared on Twitch last night with Bart Carroll, discussing the upcoming D&D setting book Eberron: Rising from the Last War. Lots of details within!

ED746060-9834-4FFF-A8DB-F1B39F19E486.jpeg

- Overview of Eberron, emphasized potentials for adventure and post-WWI pulp style of setting.

- Dragonmarked Houses as fantasy Corporations, playable Dragonmarked characters as race rules in the book

- Rules and stories for playing, Warforged, Changlings, Kalsthar, Shifters, Goblins, Hobgoblins, Bugbears, Orcs. Playable Orc is different fro mthe Volo's Guide rules to reflect the different story (no intelligence malus, few other tweaks, still usable for other worlds, these are PC Orcs as opposed to Monster Manual Orcs like Volo's).

- Full rules for the Artificer, including a new feature in this book for making Common and Uncommon magic items

- Aberrant Dragonmark Feats are in the book

- Group patron rules for organizations the late 19th-early 20th century style: newspapers, criminal syndicates, universities, spy rings: fourth choice after Race-Class-Background that the party makes together, has new fluff background features to give characters and adventure hooks

- Possibility of the party becoming their own patron, example being creating your own Crime Syndicate

- All of the above is Chapter 1 material

- Chapter 2 is a Gazeeter of Korvaire and the world: delves into great nations, the religions, touches on otehr continents

- Chapter 3 is a zoom in on Sharn, a microcosm of the setting, great place for Noir intrigue

- Chapter 4 is a 100 page adventure creation toolkit comparable to Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica: wealth of adventure building tables, maps, organization information, first level adventure set in Sharn. Reveals brand new information about the Mournland, for instance, during the war they created not just regular Warforged and Warforged Titans but also Warforged Colossi the size of skyscrapers: one of the maps is of a fallen Warfored Colossi as a dungeon @doctorbadwolf

- Section in "massive" chapter for creating adventures about Eberron's cosmology, and how it relates to Great Wheel multiverse, left to DM to decide how sealed off Eberron is by the Progenitor Dragons

- There are extended magical item economy rules in chapter 5, Common magical items are plentiful: buying, selling, crafting rules and price lists.

- Eberron specific monsters and NPCs in the sixth and final chapter, covering things like Daelkyr, Living Spells (3 different Living Spells in the book including Living Cloud Kill, and a template for making more) and various specific NPCs

R_J_K75

Legend
On the topic of Crystal Spheres.... on a kick look on DnD Beyond I didn't find mention of them on the PHB or DMG (I'm not saying they are not there, I just can't be bothered to make a more in depth look) but I found that they've copied pasted parts of the descriptons of planes (like the feywild for example) from one book to the other... sneaky sneaky WotC hahaha

Yo should read 1E through 2E and some of 3E Forgotten Realms books, I can remember reading on specific areas while writing my own adventures and there were pages upon pages of things that were cut and pasted.

R_J_K75

Legend
2E did a good job of linking all worlds on the material planel. By Spelljamming or planewalking you could get anywhere, with 2 exceptions. Darksun was inside the Grey which was next to impossible to find by planewalking let alone navigating it to find your way to Athas. I could be wrong but I think in the 2E Dark Sun revised setting there was an actual write up of the percentage of actually finding your way through the Grey. I dont ever remember seeing anything in a spelljammer book about Athas. But I always thought itd be easier to get there through Spelljamming if you knew how to get there. Ravenloft was a pocket demiplane in the ethereal plane, possible to get there by the deep ethereal but unlikely. Most of the times the Darklords would pull people in by the mists. I suppose my point is PCs and NPCs are native to whatever plane they were born on, thus binding them to laws of the multiverse on how they could travel from plane to plane whether it be by spell, Spelljamming or naturally occurring planar conduits/portals and gates, but going from Toril, to Oerth and then to Krynn wasnt too hard. As far as Eberron Im pretty sure its relationship to the planes albeit different I dont remember it being difficult to get to from another plane.

R_J_K75

Legend
This sounds too good to be true. Where can I order it ;)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
2E did a good job of linking all worlds on the material planel. By Spelljamming or planewalking you could get anywhere, with 2 exceptions. Darksun was inside the Grey which was next to impossible to find by planewalking let alone navigating it to find your way to Athas. I could be wrong but I think in the 2E Dark Sun revised setting there was an actual write up of the percentage of actually finding your way through the Grey. I dont ever remember seeing anything in a spelljammer book about Athas. But I always thought itd be easier to get there through Spelljamming if you knew how to get there. Ravenloft was a pocket demiplane in the ethereal plane, possible to get there by the deep ethereal but unlikely. Most of the times the Darklords would pull people in by the mists. I suppose my point is PCs and NPCs are native to whatever plane they were born on, thus binding them to laws of the multiverse on how they could travel from plane to plane whether it be by spell, Spelljamming or naturally occurring planar conduits/portals and gates, but going from Toril, to Oerth and then to Krynn wasnt too hard. As far as Eberron Im pretty sure its relationship to the planes albeit different I dont remember it being difficult to get to from another plane.

In 3E, Eberron was conceived as having a unique cosmology, as WotC was not supporting a metasetting at that time. This book sounds like it will go into detail on how official 5E Eberron will fit into the official metasetting, but Crawford took pains to note that the DM is given seeds on how to make Eberron morr-or-less connected as desired.

R_J_K75

Legend
In 3E, Eberron was conceived as having a unique cosmology, as WotC was not supporting a metasetting at that time. This book sounds like it will go into detail on how official 5E Eberron will fit into the official metasetting, but Crawford took pains to note that the DM is given seeds on how to make Eberron morr-or-less connected as desired.

Yeah I knew Eberrons cosmology was different. I just took my players to Athas from Undermountain when they walked through a prismatic wall. They got back to Waterdeep by finding an ancient crashed Spelljammer. As a DM its good to know how the multiverse works, but as a DM if I want something happen its going to regardless of the rules written in a book.

Getting back to Eberrons connection to the multiverse Ive always subscribed to the great wheel/crystal sphere cosmology. So those rules apply, and looked at it as any prime plane that had a different view was just wrong and they dont understand how the multiverse works.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah I knew Eberrons cosmology was different. I just took my players to Athas from Undermountain when they walked through a prismatic wall. They got back to Waterdeep by finding an ancient crashed Spelljammer. As a DM its good to know how the multiverse works, but as a DM if I want something happen its going to regardless of the rules written in a book.

Getting back to Eberrons connection to the multiverse Ive always subscribed to the great wheel/crystal sphere cosmology. So those rules apply, and looked at it as any prime plane that had a different view was just wrong and they dont understand how the multiverse works.

Per Crawford, the Dragonshards are part of the Crystal Sphere cracking and falling to Eberron's surface.

Bolares

Hero
Both Crawford and Baker touched on this already. Eberron is in a far corner of the multiverse, with its on cosmology, and the ring of syberis has served as a shield form external forces of the multiverse, but as the ring is weakenning more of this forces can get in.

Remove ads

Remove ads