• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New One D&D Weapons Table Shows 'Mastery' Traits

The weapons table from the upcoming Unearthed Arcana playtest for One D&D has made its way onto the internet via Indestructoboy on Twitter, and reveals some new mechanics. The mastery traits include Nick, Slow, Puncture, Flex, Cleave, Topple, Graze, and Push. These traits are accessible by the warrior classes.

The weapons table from the upcoming Unearthed Arcana playtest for One D&D has made its way onto the internet via Indestructoboy on Twitter, and reveals some new mechanics. The mastery traits include Nick, Slow, Puncture, Flex, Cleave, Topple, Graze, and Push. These traits are accessible by the warrior classes.

96C48DD0-E29F-4661-95F8-B4D55E5AC925.jpeg

Parmandur

Book-Friend
These being “mastery effects” instead of just normal weapon properties makes me think these won’t just be always-on effects of the weapon. I’m guessing warrior classes will get access to some number of “weapon masteries” for free, and everyone else will have to acquire them through feats or some such.
The Mastery effects are only available to Warriors, from what people were saying at the event: Monks special thing is being able to use the Mastery for Simple Weapons in addition to Martial, and Fighters can add a second Mastery to an item.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
According to this info, bonus action dual wielding may be back, and dual wielding without needing a bonus action is what the Nick mastery effect does.

…Which would seemingly make scimitars the new go-to weapon for dual-wielders who have the weapon mastery for it.

Great...Drizz't.

Thank god for Shadowdark.

(I'm going to start posting like Micah; just replace all references to Level Up with Shadowdark.)

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
The Mastery effects are only available to Warriors, from what people were saying at the event: Monks special thing is being able to use the Mastery for Simple Weapons in addition to Martial, and Fighters can add a second Mastery to an item.
If that’s the case, I strongly dislike adding bonus actions back to two weapon fighting to enable the Nick mastery, since the two classes most negatively impacted by needing to use their bonus action to dual-wield (rogues and rangers) are experts.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Well, naturally looking at that table I'm a fan of it, because it's a lot like what I'm doing with Geas ;) (I should note that I'm also trying to keep things simple, so all light weapons do 1WD (weapon die) of damage, medium do 1WD+1, and heavy do 2WD. Every profession/class has it's own weapon die. Warriors use d8 while a sorcerer only does d6 for example. It's my way of having the martial classes stand out better and to give the dagger-wielder archetype be competitive with sword and board.

1680730754890.png

1680730774851.png

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Some of these mastery options are going to be useless for my groups. Now that we've moved to offhand attacks not requiring your bonus action, no way are we going back, weapon mastery or no.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If that’s the case, I strongly dislike adding bonus actions back to two weapon fighting to enable the Nick mastery, since the two classes most negatively impacted by needing to use their bonus action to dual-wield (rogues and rangers) are experts.
Yeah, maybe there will be some exceptions or something, look forward to the UA for details.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads