D&D (2024) New UA one D&D play test document Dec 1st.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Overall, I kinda like this cleric. It can be a bit closer to feeling like a priest, now.

I really like the zap or heal channel divinity, holy orders, but smite undead… smite undead feels like a Paladin feature.

Also, if they want a van helsing class, make that. Don’t combine it with the priest concept.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I have always thought that the Cleric was the best-designed class in 5e, since there was such a diversity of builds available (STR, DEX, WIS, CHA can all be primary stats and the class remains viable), and each subclass really felt different to play.
Conversely, I felt that every cleric stuck by a couple of stand-out spells. I like the cleric differentiation, but I hope they give them mechanical reason to use different spells for different subclasses. And not just nerfing the best-in-class spells like they did with Spiritual Weapon, since that just leaves a new Best-in-Class.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Conversely, I felt that every cleric stuck by a couple of stand-out spells. I like the cleric differentiation, but I hope they give them mechanical reason to use different spells for different subclasses. And not just nerfing the best-in-class spells like they did with Spiritual Weapon, since that just leaves a new Best-in-Class.

I agree. While there are a ton of subclasses, for most of them it is hard to mechanically justify not defaulting to the usual spiritual weapons/spirit guardians combo for most combats.

Overall, I kinda like this cleric. It can be a bit closer to feeling like a priest, now.

I really like the zap or heal channel divinity, holy orders, but smite undead… smite undead feels like a Paladin feature.

Also, if they want a van helsing class, make that. Don’t combine it with the priest concept.
Smite Undead is just the Upgrade to Turn Undead.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Not sure if the 3 Holy Orders are balanced. And with you getting 2 of them by the end of T2, maybe we need more than 3.
I’m not really on board with clerics gaining two Holy Orders—especially when there are only three of them. A cleric should only ever have one (except in the case of a subclass that has a feature to give them a second).

That depends a lot on the gap between the best-in-class and the best of the rest. Spiritual weapon was well ahead of the curve thanks to not being concentration.

Pauln6

Hero
On the subject of the cleric:
  • Channel Divinity is now prof times per long rest instead of once per short rest. If they're going to keep short rests at one hour (and maybe even if not), I approve of this change.
  • I like the "Holy Order" mechanic--basically, the decision to be a "weapons cleric" or a "magic cleric" is no longer dependent on domains, it's a separate choice made at 2nd level. However, the scholar option feels incredibly underwhelming compared to the other two. Even allowing for the fact that it's much easier to get heavy armor training now, I can't imagine picking a few knowledge skill bonuses over a) heavy armor or b) rapid Channel Divinity recharge.
  • As expected, domain is now chosen at 3rd level. This is a bit of a flavor/mechanic mismatch, but there's nothing stopping you from declaring yourself a cleric of Pelor (or whoever) at level 1, it just has no mechanical impact until 3rd.
  • Smite Undead is a core feature. Dunno about that. There's no real justification for Turn Undead being a core cleric feature except D&D tradition, do we need to double down on it?
  • The "weapons cleric" and "magic cleric" 8th-level domain features (bonus damage on weapon strikes or bonus damage on cantrips) have now been merged into a single ability at 7th level, which gives you both. Sensible and straightforward.
  • The sample Life Domain looks pretty much the same as the one we already had: All healing, all the time. In fact, I think the features are literally the same, except for the "weapons cleric" benefits (heavy armor proficiency, bonus weapon damage) which have been moved to the core class. I do question whether they really need another healing option for Channel Divinity when the core class already gives you one. Granted, the Life Domain one is better, but surely they could come up with something a bit more interesting?
Overall, no dramatic changes but a lot of modest upgrades. I'm still not a fan of the Arcane/Divine/Primal spell lists, but at least the cleric doesn't make you check spell schools; you just get all divine spells, full stop.
Scholars need a domain specific benefit that the other two don't get.

-I wonder if we'll potentially see new Holy Orders for the Cleric, I wonder what some of those concepts might be.
-For the life cleric even though I know that Supreme Healing and Disciple of Life do stack, I feel they need to explicitly state that they do.
-I still don't like that all Clerics get Turn Undead, but I've been against that since 2e
-I like this version of the Ardling better now that it's more focused
-I feel the Climber Ardling might be really appealing to the Monk, but I feel the Monk is probably going to get their own in class method of adding Prof bonus to unarmed damage.
-They've fixed their breath weapon and made it a lot closer to Fizban's, that was the main thing I was opposed to about the previous version
-I've always felt that Dragonborn should get some method of flying, it's good they've added it to this "universal" one.
-So I notice Goliath's Powerful Build has advantage to ending grapples, I'm guessing the Orc's Powerful Build will match that.
-I like the different Giant ancestries for the Goliath, which makes me suspect that the Goliath is really there for that Giant-themed Book instead.
-Influence action is better and clearer now. I don't like character interaction to be too gamified, so at least it's smaller in scope so that it doesn't cover everything.
-I actually like this version of Guidance better than the previous one, only being able to be affected once per long rest made the previous one feel too weak.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases