Unearthed Arcana New UA Paladin and Bard.

There's a new Unearthed Arcana in town! "The bard receives a new Bardic College feature: the College of Eloquence. Additionally, the paladin gains a new Sacred Oath feature: the Oath of Heroism."

There's a new Unearthed Arcana in town! "The bard receives a new Bardic College feature: the College of Eloquence. Additionally, the paladin gains a new Sacred Oath feature: the Oath of Heroism."

Screenshot 2019-09-19 at 10.13.40.png

My opinion.

BARD - College of Eloquence
Undeniable Logic is too strong in my opinion. Completely renders Heightened spell metamagic obselete.
I'm not seeing that: Takes a bonus action, bardic inspiration and the target gets a save to resist it.
Good for starting to set things up for a major spell from you or your allies, but not at the level of flat-out imposing disadvantage to save against the spell they you're throwing right now.

PALADIN - Oath of Heroism
Oath Spells. Replace Enthrall with Enlarge/Reduce.
I can see you being so glorious that people are enthralled by you and your legend.

Its actually Conjure Volley that I'm not seeing the logic for getting as an oath spell.

Kurotowa

Legend
Only one I can't place is the bard. I was thinking Mechanus at first.

But overall I think these classes are implying a Manual of the Planes.

Assuming Parmandur isn't right with the "MtG book" drum he keeps beating, I could see the Bard being linked to one of several of the Placescape Factions. Impassioned debate was sort of a running theme through the whole line. But it's a bit less direct of a link than the previous offerings, I'll admit.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Assuming Parmandur isn't right with the "MtG book" drum he keeps beating, I could see the Bard being linked to one of several of the Placescape Factions. Impassioned debate was sort of a running theme through the whole line. But it's a bit less direct of a link than the previous offerings, I'll admit.

Just so I'm clear, I'm not assuming I'm right: the Magic book hypothesis is just a model that fits the current data.

On the Dragon+ Twitch today, Crawford kept business pretty focused on mechanics, though one interesting tidbit is the Oath of Heroes started life as a Fighter but they felt it needed to be more supernatural, so went Paladin.

Crawford also offered that these two Subclasses represent a dichotomy of Word and Action.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone

The Bard I think works for all the Lawful Good planes (Bytopia, Arcadia, and Mount Celestia), as "logic" seems to be pretty embedded in the subclass. But it also works for Sigil with all the rival factions.

Could also work well for Dominaria which is Magic's "High Fantasy" setting.

gyor

Legend

At this point we know it's a planar book, we just don't know if it's D&D planes or MtG planes.

I have discounted Rick and Morty thankfully.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
My opinion.

BARD - College of Eloquence
Undeniable Logic is too strong in my opinion. Completely renders Heightened spell metamagic obselete.

Undeniable Logic requires a bonus action AND the target must fail a saving throw, just so they can have disadvantage on their next saving throw. That doesn't obselete anything - the metamagic is FAR more powerful than this. The metamagic is 1) simultaneous with the spell you're casting, so requires no additional actions, and 2) doesn't require a save to take effect in the first place.

Remove ads

Remove ads