D&D 5E New Unearthed Arcana Today: Giant Themed Class Options and Feats

A new Unearthed Arcana dropped today, focusing on giant-themed player options. "In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore character options related to the magic and majesty of giants. This playtest document presents the Path of the Giant barbarian subclass, the Circle of the Primeval druid subclass, the Runecrafter wizard subclass, and a collection of new feats, all for use in Dungeons &...

A new Unearthed Arcana dropped today, focusing on giant-themed player options. "In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore character options related to the magic and majesty of giants. This playtest document presents the Path of the Giant barbarian subclass, the Circle of the Primeval druid subclass, the Runecrafter wizard subclass, and a collection of new feats, all for use in Dungeons & Dragons."

New Class options:
  • Barbarian: Path of the Giant
  • Druid: Circle of the Primeval
  • Wizard: Runecrafter Tradition
New Feats:
  • Elemental Touched
  • Ember of the Fire Giant
  • Fury of the Frost Giant
  • Guile of the Cloud Giant
  • Keeness of the Stone Giant
  • Outsized Might
  • Rune Carver Apprentice
  • Rune Carvwr Adept
  • Soul of the Storm Giant
  • Vigor of the Hill Giant
WotC's Jeremy Crawford talks Barbarian Path of the Giant here:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Had a quick look through, I'm fine with some feats requiring a minimum level. I'd change the Druid's history bonus to straight up expertise rather than a 1d4 roll, I think that extra die roll is unnecessary since we already have a system for better skill use.

One thing I didn't realise is that a barbarian doesn't add their rage damage to thrown weapons, always thought they did.

One other thing I didn't like was the wizard subclass, I'd much rather the rune interacted with the spells rather than the caster just choosing a creature within range.

Last edited:

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
But the Forst World as depicted in Fizban's isn't a Setting, it is the Mythic time. I'm sure they will have a Giant iteration to provide a similar applicabto any given d&D Setting, but not "The First World" as a place to Adventure.

The Dinosaur/Giant connection fits into Wbrron pretty well, too.

I think a Mythic Time can be a setting. Heck I'd put in a chapter (or smaller section) that's essentially about how eventually the First World will end, and how to run a "doomsday" style adventure (think how the meteor killed the dinosaurs).

I'm actually feeling quite confident that the "Giant options" is almost a red herring to divert attention away from the very Primeval themed subclass.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think a Mythic Time can be a setting. Heck I'd put in a chapter (or smaller section) that's essentially about how eventually the First World will end, and how to run a "doomsday" style adventure (think how the meteor killed the dinosaurs).

I'm actually feeling quite confident that the "Giant options" is almost a red herring to divert attention away from the very Primeval themed subclass.
I mean, Crawford is all about that misdirection flavor thug life, I admit. But synthesizing 4E Primordials with the 2E Orduning to also bring in Dinosaurs sounds peak James Wyatt.

At any rate, the most likely possibilities seem to be a new Primordial heavy Setting being developed by James Wyatt, or a Giantish Fizban's type book being developed by James Wyatt. Or maybe something in between.

Urriak Uruk

But why would you? That's a hyper-limited "setting". I think they're more likely to seed First World stuff in the spelljammer book than set a whole book there.

I don't think that's any more limited than Theros or Ravnica is. I'll add, if you've looked at Planegea, a Primeval/Prehistoric setting has an absolute metric ton of material to explore.

I personally don't think that interpretation is correct however (that the mortals enter the First World as immigrants). It implies all mortals aren't from the Material Plane (which is true for some but not others). No, I'm pretty sure it specifically means adherents/worshippers of gods.

And I think there would be an option/material to play the First World as a detour in your main campaign, as a "Sent to the distant past" kind of trek, which allows for any kind of racial options.

Urriak Uruk

I mean, Crawford is all about that misdirection flavor thug life, I admit. But synthesizing 4E Primordials with the 2E Orduning to also bring in Dinosaurs sounds peak James Wyatt.

At any rate, Thetford likely possibilities seem to be a new Primordial heavy Setting being developed by James Wyatt, or a Giantish Fizban's type book being developed by James Wyatt. Or maybe something in between.

Well, I'll agree it's probably one of those two things.

So do people assume the First World will be some sort of prehistoric setting? Meaning no metal, no writing etc? Whilst that would be cool, I kinda doubt they would do it, as it would require quite a bit of changing the stuff from the base game to make it work.

Remove ads

Remove ads