• Party sage

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Scout

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Utility caster

Votes: 26 51.0%

Scribe

Legend
Silo'ing options isn't removing player choice.

It's only a problem if the game is not all about combat. D&D has often been accused of being all about combat, so it would only be a problem in D&D to the extent that said accusation is incorrect.

Now, if you want to build a fighter that isn't just good at combat above all else, that is a problem in every edition of D&D. Because you can't do it. (OK, you can dump STR & DEX and be a really bad fighter, but you wouldn't be very good at anything else, and, in 3e, for instance, you'd still have full BAB.)

In a balanced game not always all about combat, silo'ing would be good, it'd produce characters who can broadly participate in any campaign, regardless of its focus - it'd be good in D&D, too, just out of place, at odds with D&D tradition.

Sure, but I'm talking the actual D&D, and the actual Fighter, as of 2023. I can absolutely do other things, if I make the choices to not go all in on combat. Can I do them GREAT? Well no. Should I be able to? Well no. I'm a Fighter.

If I build for what the class is meant to do, in the actual edition that is relevant, I can do what Fighters are meant to do, and the rest of the party can handle the boring work of talking at NPCs, or taxiing me around.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Sure, but I'm talking the actual D&D, and the actual Fighter, as of 2023. I can absolutely do other things, if I make the choices to not go all in on combat. Can I do them GREAT? Well no. Should I be able to? Well no. I'm a Fighter.
OTOH, you're still getting Extra Attacks, Combat Style, etc, making you damn good at fighting, better than your non-combat Background and stat choices make you at whatever non-combat specialty you were aiming for. So, no, you can't help but be good at fighting, first and foremost, as a Fighter. Which is what it says on the tin, afterall.

5e isn't meant to be flexible, at least, 5e fighters weren't.
If I build for what the class is meant to do, in the actual edition that is relevant, I can do what Fighters are meant to do, and the rest of the party can handle the boring work of talking at NPCs, or taxiing me around.
Maybe what I said was a little convoluted. "Choosing" to play a fighter that's only good at fighting isn't a problem if D&D is, as it has long been accused of "all about combat." Were that accusation ever incorrect, it might be a problem, because a DM could just run D&D straight, and happen not to have much combat for levels at a time or a whole campaign, and you'd be dead weight. Fortunately, that accusation has never been too inaccurate in the pillar sense.... now, "actually, D&D is all about magic," that's a valid rejoinder, as is a further "yeah, all about using magic to win combats" :rolleyes:

Remove ads