• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

No Love for the Cleric?

Darth Cyric

First Post
I like the 4e Cleric because WOTC finally realized that merely overpowering a class that was the AD&D traditional healbot wasn't the way to go.

He's not broken like the 3e Cleric, but at the same time he can just do more.

Raith5

Adventurer
azarias said:
Is that all so bad? Or what am I missing?

A god/faith?

I love your build but the fact is that 4th ed clerics are virtually the same regardless of faith (unless you choose the faith specific feat). I think this is drawback of the 4th ed cleric - at least 3.5. had domains etc. Faith should significantly shape the mechanics of clerics.

azarias

First Post
Raith5 - yeah, that's a good point. As it is, I'll be expressing the aforementioned Elf's faith distinctions through roleplay - which is fine, but I wouldn't mind at all if there was a better mechanical option to back it up. I won't be taking the Channel Divinity feat.

I suppose the counter is that the 4E setup makes balancing new deities/faiths simple. The CD feats are even weaker than feats in general, which in themselves are no longer the heavy building blocks they once were. Mechanically, a new supplement just needs that one little mechanical grace note added to the rules. From a balance perspective, the 3.5 cleric domain powers were see-sawing from the
start.

The faith is an easy and fun element to roleplay, too. And the class is more versatile now, which may make up for the narrowing of faith distinctions. From example, I think all the following are interesting and quite different:

* Mobile ranged Elven Cleric/Ranger, as above
* Scale-clad Str-based Dragonborn melee Cleric
* High-Cha Half-Elven Cleric/Warlock

...and the good old Dwarf-Cleric-in-a-Tin-Can, complete with warhammer. No doubt there are other variations too.

Looking at the 3.5 domains as versatility, rather than raw power, and comparing to the 4E class, it feels to me as if the Cleric has probably gained more versatility than he has lost. Maybe?

Last edited:

Raith5

Adventurer
Yeah I remember the old ranger/cleric in second edition and I think your build captures that well.

But I think mechanically and flavor wise the 4th ed cleric needs to be fleshed out a little. It galls me that the divinty feat is an option.

I guess the feeling I have of 4th ed is that some of the broader classes - especially cleric and wizard feel a bit like a work in progress. I am sure extra feats and powers are coming in later installments!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads