non-cutsy anime

noretoc

First Post
Can anyone recommend some good non cutsey anime for my netflix list. Somone told me trigun was good. I ordered if and it was way too over the top for me. To give you an example I loved Wicked City, ghost in the shell, ninja scroll (The popular ones), vampire hunter D. I am wanting to check out some of the others, but don't want to get put off by the too over the top comic relief. I don't mind a little jaw dropping and eye poping, as long as it is kept to the very minimum. Thanks for any suggestions.

horacethegrey

First Post
Urotsukidoji. :p

No but seriously, if you want an anime that's pretty serious and doesn't overdo the comedy, then you can't go wrong with Cowboy Bebop. Then there's also Berserk, which is sure to entertain the fantasy fan in you (be warned though, it is very dark fantasy, much like A Song of Ice and Fire, only with a lot of magic in it.).

Ibram

First Post
As listed above: Berserk, Cowboy Bebop

I'd also add: Samurai Champlo (same creator as Bebop), Witch Hunter Robin, Noir, and perhapse 'Record of Lodoss Wars' (which has some cutie elements, but its not a major part of the series).

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Im with you on liking anime and having to pick through it looking to avoid endless
Dragon-ball like crap

Neon Evengelicon - emotionally disturbed adolescents with MECHA!
- some gets very dark.
Read or Die - more humorous, but no stupid enlarged faces or giant hammers.
Bubble gum crisis/ crash -
Princess Mononoke

TwinBahamut

First Post
You criteria is a bit vague, but not too hard to satisfy, considering how much anime is out there of every kind...

Let me see here...

Twelve Kingdoms. One of the best anime series I have ever seen, and you can't accuse it of any of the things you are complaining about.

Maybe the Crest of the Stars/Banner of the Stars series. Character designs lean toward the cute, but it is a serious story about war set in a very scifi universe. Very good depictions of tactical space combat.

Fullmetal Alchemist is just good. It has some of the standard anime visual quirks in the comedic moments, but it isn't excessive, and the series as a whole is fantastic and dark.

Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo is another great.

Gungrave is a great mafia anime. It leans towards extreme action (with monsters and such even) towards the end, but it never loses great characters and a deep plot.

Wolf's Rain can be a bit strange, but it is also excellent.

Hmm... I keep submitting a post, walking away, and thinking of a new title. Maybe I should stop before I edit this post too much...

Last edited:

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I usually prefer the less cutesy anime myself. Most comedies will use a lot of the 'cute' stuff, but it also will incongurously show up in what it normally a very serious show. Anything with the least bit of comedy will sometimes pop out one of the face faults or other things. Just learn to live with it.

Now and Then, Here and There
Planetes (not a typo)
Bleach
Last Exile
Scrapped Princess
Lain (AKA Serial Experiments Lain)
Gantz
Wolf's Rain
Witch Hunter Robin
Heat Guy J
Gad Guard
Infinite Ryvius
Noir
Samurai Deeper Kyo
Gasaraki

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
*still can't believe people are downing the best samurai show around* Samurai Champloo has everything going for it man. It's a damn fine show.

bodhi

First Post
I'm currently going through Samurai 7, a series based (very loosely) on Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. A sci-fi take, including robotic samurai, really enjoyable so far. The robot analog to Mifune's character is just about right, IMHO.

Any of Miyazaki's stuff. Seriously.

Steamboy

Remove ads