D&D 4E Not going to 4e

howandwhy99

Adventurer
I'll run or play anything*. It's the only way they lets me learn anything.

But 4e won't be D&D for me. It's not a style of gaming I'm interested in.

The big thing is, I'm just not willing to spend very much money on RPG books right now. There have been literally 1000's printed of different RPG books printed over 33? years and I've widened my scope of interest from "rules specific" to "what's cool?". And I've found I don't need books to run games anymore. I can use just about anything.

*Except for games that are wrong. That there are games that are wrong is a truism every gamer knows. The best example is: F.A.T.A.L. That game is just wrong... Like LARPing serial killer the RPG.

DM_Blake said:
This has to be a troll, right?

I mean, of all the 4e changes to gripe about, and I'm still firmly on the go/no go fence myself, I see 1, 2, 3, and 4 on your list as very good things to fix. I'm thrilled to death that they're fixing each of those things.

Wizards relying on crossbows half the day is silly, and no fun for the player. Dead levels shouldn't exist and I cannot fathom why you would be upset at removing them - why would anyone desire a 'dead level'?. LG paladins are fine, but why don't any other gods get cool holy warriors to compete? And apparently from your post you want players in support roles to not have fun.
No, I'm not a troll. I've been around here for years and have gone into these points on numerous other threads. Let me explain.

1) Basic/Expert D&D had several design elements that I loved. "Wizards start off weak, but can eventually become very powerful." "Magic has its uses, but magic is limited, where Strength can be used as often as needed." A wizard who starts weak and can run out of spells is a class I'd love to play again. It makes him fundamentally a frail human novice with some abilities that he's just learning to master. The idea that he can run out makes him seem more human. Now, the warlock can never run out... it's a good class, it's a neat concept, and he's suitably creepy/alienish, but it's not how I see a novice wizard.

2) In Basic/Expert, you got HP at all levels; saves and attack rolls improved at some levels, not all, and there were no skills. So the complaining over "dead levels where all we get are HP, BAB, saves, and skills" sounds like whining to me. Also, in 3E, plotting out your character build became much more a component of the game than it had before. Focusing more attention on what abilities you get at each level is, I think, contributing to this trend. I just don't see "Dead levels" as a valid complaint. The game should, in my mind, be about cool stories and about clever tactics to overcome challenges, not about flashy abilities and character builds.

3) Every alignment and every god ALREADY has a holy warrior. It's called the cleric. Paladins were representative of two things: first, an attempt to model a certain heroic archetype such as your Galahads; and second, an idea that the forces of evil were numerous and the forces of good were less numerous but had an elite champion. The code is what makes the paladin class worth having; otherwise, just use a Ftr/Clr. I'd rather see the class removed than see it corrupted.

4) Playing a support character can be a great deal of fun. It's a team endeavor, not a game to see whose star can shine the brightest. Sometimes the cleric's best action is to get the fighter back on his feet, and the bard's Inspire Courage is often the difference between winning and losing. I have no problem with that. It's a team effort. And some of my favorite moments in games have been sitting back and watching other PCs handle everything. The players are my friends, the characters are my PC's allies, and it happened to be immensely entertaining to watch the bard make his one-man stand against the death knight and liches, or to watch the arcane trickster do some body-hopping infiltration-slaughter on her own. 4E seems to be based on the idea, "If you aren't doing something cool, the game isn't fun."

Dragon Snack

First Post
I've only seen a few things about 4.0 that I really like, all of which could be ported over to my 3.x game (and I had already done my own version of the monster stat block before I saw the new one). I've also seen plenty of stuff I don't like, especially as a player (many of which are the same things that Brother MacLaren mentioned - I see nothing wrong with 'dead levels').

So I don't see myself switching. I see more of a chance that I stop playing D&D than "upgrading" to 4.0, actually*. I already have a group that plays Savage Worlds, so I'll still be gaming.

*There is still an outside chance that I may DM 4.0, but the more I hear the more I am doubting it will be "easier to DM".

Dristram

First Post
Well said Brother MacLaren. I've had similar discussions with players who were raised on 3e, having never played earlier editions, and the points get missed. Because of 3e, the classic feel of D&D has been distorted. It's just the way of things I guess.

Dristram

First Post
Don't let 4e kill D&D for you!

delericho said:
At the moment, it looks like I won't be switching.

Ah, but what to do then? Stick with 3.5e? Switch to a 3.75e, if such a thing exists? Switch to an entirely different game? Create my own system entirely? Stop gaming?

<snip>

Writing my own system (even if it's heavily cribbed from 3.5e) sounds like an awful lot of work for a fairly minimal benefit.

Which leaves switching to another game entirely, or just dropping gaming. Neither of which is hugely appealing.
Dragon Snack said:
So I don't see myself switching. I see more of a chance that I stop playing D&D than "upgrading" to 4.0, actually*.
With the amount of product out there for 3e, I see no reason anyone needs to stop playing 3.5 just because of 4e. Heck, I know people who still play OD&D, 1st. Ed, and 2nd Ed. AD&D still. And I play C&C . Definitely don't stop gaming though!

Last edited:

Dragon Snack

First Post
While I could continue DMing 3.x for quite some time, unfortunately there seems to be some lines being drawn among the players in my D&D group.

1 player is all for it (and is playing a Bo9S character to capture the "feel" of 4.0), 1 is leaning towards it (he's new to 3.x anyway, so has no attachment to the rules), 2 are against the changes (although one of them was also against 3.5 and switched positions almost immediately when it was released), and 1 could care less (but has been asking about my Savage Worlds game).

I see bad things happening once the books are out...

Twowolves

Explorer
I was going to start this same exact thread a couple of weeks ago. But I decided to avoid the 4th ed forum for a while instead (better for my sanity and quality of life).

No one in my group is even remotely interested in 4th ed. Our campaign setting has already been discontinued (which is ok by me), and I see no problem with having a "complete" ruleset to play with. True, I'll miss getting new adventures and magazines for 3.5, but in truth, I already make the lions share of adventures for our game, and I already have stockpiled enough material to keep us busy for the next 5 to 10 years.

Tewligan

First Post
I've gone back and forth on this. At first, I was kind of excited, since it sounded like it was going to be simpler, and classes would be a lot more archetypal like they used to be. Now my interest wanes every time I hear about "cool" or "fun" powers, wizards never running out of spells, the need for every character to be equally important all the time, apparently even harder for characters to die, dragonborn and tieflings, and a bunch of other things. That being said, it's a pretty good chance that I'll buy the PHB since 4e will most likely be the biggest/only game in town, but I won't run it - for that, I'll hold on to my 1e books and hope I can wrangle together enough interest to run a game with them.

Remove ads