Now that 4e is upon us, what will you do?

What will you do?

• Stop the current campaign, switch to 4th edition

Votes: 39 19.4%
  • 4th edition is bringing me back to D&D. We're starting a new 4th edition campaign

Votes: 36 17.9%
  • Business as usual - no conversions.

Votes: 103 51.2%
  • We're converting our ongoing campaign to 4th edition

Votes: 14 7.0%
  • We're converting our ongoing campaign to Pathfinder

Votes: 18 9.0%
  • Stop the current campaign. Play something other than D&D for a while

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Stop the current campaign, switch to Pathfinder

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have no freaking idea.

Votes: 17 8.5%

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
der_kluge said:
So, I'm running a PbP game and the topic of whether to convert came up. It seems not feasible to convert given that the party includes a bard, barbarian and sorcerer. So, I'm curious what others plan to do.

This is a poll.

None of the above.

I'm not currently playing in a game, but I'm starting a new 4e campaign. However, I wouldn't say I was "coming back to D&D" - I was just without a game for a few months.

meomwt

First Post
I'm currently running a RuneQuest Game, but myself and at least two of our group are gunning for a return to D&D.

By which I mean 3.5 edition, and I'll be running War of the Burning Sky.

I've got plenty other stuff to run until 5th Edition comes out, anyway!

meomwt said:
I've got plenty other stuff to run until 5th Edition comes out, anyway!
And then you can get all the 4E stuff for cheap!
Awesome idea... If I had a time machine... Or at least a cryogenic freezer...

;)

I'll start a new campaign, but we still have ongoing adventure paths that we will most likely not cancel. I believe 4E will be great for my group, but it must be spectacularly better to compel the other DMs to convert their games to 4E. As long as that isn't the case, an update to Pathfinder Alpha 3 will probably be all (since that mostly affects PCs).

Jeff Wilder

First Post
I'm in three groups, one of which I DM.

Eberron (my group) -- We'll be continuing the campaign with my very lightly house-ruled 3.5. After that ends (probably another year or so, bi-weekly), I'll be switching to Pathfinder or (much less likely, given my players) Mutants and Masterminds. I'm not exactly anti-4E (except for a couple of mindbogglingly stupid rules), but it's not the right game for me.

Age of Worms -- I can't say for sure, but my bet would be on us finishing out Age of Worms (probably about six months, bi-weekly), and then switching to Pathfinder Beta or SWSE. The DM of this game feels pretty much the same as I do about 4E; possibly more negative, but with less information.

Forgotten Realms -- I'm very unsure on this one. My best guess is that we'll finish out the campaign using 3.5, but I don't know how long that will take. (We're 11th level, but advancing slowly and without a set play schedule, and I'm not sure how far advanced in the campaign's plot(s).) I also don't know what the DM will do afterward; I'm pretty sure he's fairly pro-4E, but on the other hand I suspect switching games would lose him several players. On the other other hand, I'm not even sure he wants to or is planning to continue DMing.

Cirex

First Post
I will be converting my Eberron campaign to 4th. I wanted to do 3-4 more games with 3.5, but I don't think it will be do any good, being my mind filled with 4e concepts, especially with NPC building and so on.

I plan to stop the campaign with a cliffhanger, and the first 4th game will be just after that cliffhanger situation.

Players can choose between convert their characters (to level 1) or make a new one. The hobgoblin Warblade may try an Elven Ranger (his favoriute combo), the changeling rogue may just convert (to doppelganger rogue) and the orc druid...well, he's pretty much forced to start a new character.

I'm turning half Breland into a PoL mini-setting, following the events of the current Eberron campaign.

Now, I need to design a shocking and cinematic first 4th game, mixing the best of Eberron and 4th. Time to work.

Boregar

First Post
I'd say that my 3.5ed campaign died a couple of weeks back. We might try one last session to try to tie up some loose ends, but after we started playing Keep on the Shadowfell last week, my players all seemed pretty stoked by the idea of a move to 4ed, and a clean slate.

So we're going to finish up Shadowfell over the next couple of sessions, by which time I'll have been able to read through the books, and then it'll be a fresh party and the start of a (hopefully) long-running campaign, which I'm sorely tempted to set in Greyhawk.

Papa-DRB

First Post
The option I want is not in the list, so I voted convert to Pathfinder, but it will be after the current campaign is finished sometime mid next year. We currently use V3.5

-- david
Papa.DRB

Dragonblade

Adventurer
I just finished Rise of the Runelords and I thought it was mediocre at best. The general storyline was kind of cool and I thought Karzoug was an interesting villain. But the overall design and flow of the adventures was very disjointed. And many encounters were poorly designed. In some cases the PCs were expected to fight large and huge creatures that wouldn't even have fit into the rooms they supposedly resided in!

4e has so impressed my group that we dropped all other 3e ongoing campaigns. We are starting two fresh 4e campaigns and almost all the members of my gaming group have the books on order.

Dragonblade said:
In some cases the PCs were expected to fight large and huge creatures that wouldn't even have fit into the rooms they supposedly resided in!
Strange, why does this keep happening? We have had this experience in a few other adventures, too (but I am not sure if it was Paizo). I distinctively remember some kind of Giant Smith working in a Smithy that was only accessible via passages so small that he either had to squeeze or couldn't use them at all. And the Smithy itself was also way to small for him...
Maybe it's a kind of "last-minute" fix:
"oh dear, the PCs are 3 levels higher then we thought!"
"Don't worry, we just use huge giants instead of large ones, that should cover the CR difference"...

Remove ads