D&D 5E Now that "damage on a miss" is most likely out of the picture, are you happy?

Are you happy for "damage on a miss" being removed?

• Yes.

Votes: 75 42.1%
  • No.

Votes: 47 26.4%
  • Couldn't give a toss.

Votes: 56 31.5%

Cybit

First Post
...Boooooo :p

I would maintain that folks should not worry about it too much, I think it will be replaced for better options.

pemerton

Legend
While I had no problem with DOAM, I do feel that the expanded crit range is the most likely replacement mechanism I have yet seen proposed. It is simple, immediate,and gives a clear advantage where one is needed without being disproportionately powerful compared to the other options.
Bonus damage on a crit for a d12 weapon is +5.5 (for max) +6.5 (for bonus die), =+12 altogether. Assuming that the typical hit range is 12 in 20, then expanding the crit range by 1 is worth +1 expected damage.

Given that DoaM is worth about +2 expected damage, and that it is less likely to result in wasted damage than a crit, you'd probably want to give a +2 crit range.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Thanks for the numbers. I honestly do not think making it balance against an alternative that has proved so controversial is at all relevant. Expanding the crit range by one makes it a clearly desirable option that will see regular use each session and makes it a desirable choice for heavy-weapon fighting.

Plus, there may be other means to expand the crit range in the game, and the additive benefits are significant. Accepting your numbers, gaining an average of +12 damage 22% of the time you hit (2 in 9) instead of 11% of the time (1 in 9) should be enough to make anyone content, in my opinion. If they are not, then there are always other options (+1 AC, etc.).

Last edited:

Obryn

Hero
...Boooooo :p

I would maintain that folks should not worry about it too much, I think it will be replaced for better options.
The issue right now is that most Fighter "options" boil down to:

* Attack it
* Attack it again
* Hit it a little harder
* When you hit it really well, hit it harder

DoaM is hardly the most exciting of options, but it's at least something different than any of the above.

Hussar

Legend
Are you saying that in your games, a big bad has never been down to a few hp? He/she was always taken out while at high hp levels?

Taking out a big bad with a 3 damage chip attack can come up far more often and is far more likely than completely wearing down such a foe with such attacks. To me, a finishing shot with autodamage feels so meh.

The bad guy morgue will be filled with corpses all with the autopsy report reading: Cause of death-standing in proximity to great weapon.

Let's unpack this a bit more shall we?

What has to happen for DoaM to drop something?

1) The creature has to be reduced to 3 or less HP without killing it.
2) The GWF fighter's turn must be next in line, or, everyone between him and the last attack which reduced the creatures to 3 HP has to miss.
3) The GWF fighter has to miss. Which, by rights, he shouldn't be.

We're talking a pretty corner case here. At low levels, when creatures only have 3 HP, sure, it's pretty common. But, after 1st or 2nd level, it's becoming less and less often.

Which brings me back to a question I asked earlier that got lost in the scrum - is it DoaM that tips people over or killing something on a miss? If it's DoaM, sure, fine, that will come up every combat. If it's killing on a miss, then we're talking something that might come up once a session at the absolute outside and likely far less often than that.

pemerton

Legend
Accepting your numbers, gaining an average of +12 damage 22% of the time you hit (2 in 9) instead of 11% of the time (1 in 9) should be enough to make anyone content, in my opinion. If they are not, then there are always other options (+1 AC, etc.).
As I said, each increase in crit range is the equivalent of a +1 to damage (assuming that they are additive - obviously if not, then each one over the first is +0 to damage).

I'm not sure why you're using a 9 in 20 hit rate, though. A first level fighter has +4 to hit (+3 stat, +1 prof). How many creatures have AC 16? I think AC 13 - for a 3 in 5 hit rate, which is what my calculation is based on - is more typical.

Remove ads