Oathbound : Homecoming (full up)

Ferrix

Explorer
How 'bout a swashbuckler/fighter who uses the Meteor Hammer (from Bastion's Arm's and Armor).

Could I use the Kensai fighter variant from Dragon 310?

It's as follows:

Class skills: balance, concentration, craft, jump, swim, tumble

Prof: all simple weapons, light armor and shields, one martial or exotic melee weapon of choice that is the kensai's chosen weapon

Benefits: gains a +1 bonus to attack and damage with chosen weapon at 1st level, increases by +1 every five levels.

Penalty: no bonus fighter feat at 1st level

Bonus feats as fighter after 1st level.

Ferrix

Explorer
btw, how much gold is alloted? standard for 7th i think is 19k... but you mentioned around 10 thousand at one point which is about half of standard... which is the way to go?

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Argent Silvermage said:
Oh. I didn't see that. I just went with DMG standard for the level. My bad I'll knock off the 9,000 if you want me to.

As mentioned, there is an , ehem, balancing mechanism which will come into play (evil grin). But for fairness sake, please make the adjustments before entering play (which should be today, I have time to make some long posts...)

FERRIX: I'll try to get a quick vote from the other players, and we can give your class a go, because like I said I like the concept, but I'd have to reserve the right to tone down the progression of some of the abilities if it became overwhelming in actual play. Its just a matter of fairness to the other players. I don't know if you'd want to start play with that hanging over your head, but I couldn't throw it at you in mid play.

On the subject of the alternate druid, I understand your feelings on multiclassing to achieve a character concept, I'm not into it myself (though I like it better when the character starts out well leveled) but those druid varients really are just multiclassing, but without giving up the spellcasting progression. The abilities thay get are mixed and matched from other classes, but you get them and the druid abilities you want to keep at full advancement rather than half. I could allow it for one varient, but really both at once is too much for me, and I'm a very giving DM.

I like the concepts you come up with, and I hope we can find a way to implement one in the game.

Kahuna Burger

Ferrix

Explorer
very cool, hope it didn't feel i was getting upset... it's easy for me to jump concepts mid-shape and also ramble like a mad-man about stuff... i've got that fighter/swashie type all statted up... so up to you and the other players... fighter/swashie or my class...

i'll post up the fighter/swash guy and edit it to something else if it turns out otherwise :-D

Ferrix

Explorer
Faustus Ignazio, human fighter (kensai) 4/swashbuckler 3
HD 7d10+7 (50 hp)
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 17, Con 13, Int 16, Wis 8, Cha 12
35 pnt buy 14 (6) 16 (10) 13 (5) 16 (10) 8 (0) 12 (4)
Saves: Fort +8, Refl +5, Will +1
Init +3
Speed 30 feet
AC 17 (+3 Dex, +4 Armor), flatfooted 16, touch 14, ACP -2, Spell Failure 20%
Bab +7, Grapple +9

Attack:
Meteor Hammer, TH #2: +13 melee (1d6+10, critical 19-20/x2)
Meteor Hammer, TH #1: +13 melee (1d6+9, critical, 19-20/x2)
Brass Knuckles: +10 melee (1d4+5, critical x2)
Push Knife: +10 melee (1d3+5, critical x3)
Throwing Knives: +10 ranged (1d3+5, critical x2)

Full Attack:
Meteor Hammer #2, TH: +13/+8 melee (1d6+10, critical 19-20/x2)
Meteor Hammer #1, TH: +13/+8 melee (1d6+9, critical 19-20/x2)
Meteor Hammer, TWF: +11/+11/+6 melee (#1 1d6+8/#2 1d6+8, critical 19-20/x2)
Brass Knuckles: +10/+5 melee (1d4+5, critical x2)
Brass Knuckles, TWF: +8/+8/+3 melee (1d4+5/1d4+4, critical x2)
Push Knife: +10/+5 melee (1d3+5, critical x3)
Push Knives, TWF: +8/+8/+3 melee (1d3+5/1d3+4, critical x3)
Throwing Knives: +10/+5 ranged (1d3+5, critical x2)
Throwing Knives, TWF: +8/+8/+3 (1d3+5/1d3+4, critical x2)

#'s indicate which head is being used, when TWF for example he uses the adamantine head for his main hand, and the +1 head for his offhand, and the attack bonuses are the same as adamantine is always considered masterwork.

Skills and Feats: (72 skill points, 10/5 max ranks)
Balance +15 (10 ranks)
Bluff +9 (8 ranks)
Climb +8 (6 ranks)
Diplomacy +13 (8 ranks)
Escape Artist +9 (6 ranks)
Jump +14 (10 ranks)
Sense Motive +9 (8 ranks)
Tumble +15 (10 ranks)

Feats: EWP: Meteor Hammer, Two-Weapon Fighting, Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Weapon Focus: Meteor Hammer, Weapon Specialization: Meteor Hammer, Weapon Finesse, Combat Reflexes

Prof: Light armor, shields, simple weapons, meteor hammer

Chosen Weapon (meteor hammer): +1 to attack and damage with chosen weapon, increases every five levels.

Grace: +1 competence bonus to reflex saves

Insightful Strike: Add Intelligence modifier to damage with Finesse weapons.

Possessions (10k): throwing knives x10 (10 gp) 5 lb., silvered brass knuckles x2 (6 gp) 2 lb., cold iron push knives x2 (4 gp) 1 lb., silvered push knives x2 (6 gp) 1 lb., courtier's outfit 6 lb., etched silver ring (3 gp), carved knucklehead clasp (3 gp), fine silver stud earrings (2) (5 gp), travel cloak (1200 gp), bracers of striking (1350 gp), chainshirt (100 gp) 25 lb., meteor hammer (head #1 adamantine/head #2 +1) (7308 gp) 3 lb., 5 gp #sp #cp

Description: Bedecked in the deepest of purples and blacks, embroidered with the finest silver thread, Faustus is an image for any courtly affair. His gait is smooth and unrestrained, the whorled black and purple cloak swirls about his ankles. His pitch-black hair is cut short and spiked, his ears are fine, and almost pointed with a silver stud in each lobe. Shimmering eyes of the royalest blue seem to dance with wit. The sharp, graceful lines of his face draw you to the small goatee, finely kept, and the warm too-curious smile of a man who will never see enough.

Personality: Faustus is a man who will never see enough, and has yet to see much that really excites him, despite having quite the history on the road behind him. Having insulted kings, mocked knights, wooed fair damsels, and even once challenged a dragon to a duel, he still hasn't had enough. Something out there waits for him, someday he'll find it (he never thinks that it will someday find him). Always with a tale on his tongue and a smile that would make a monk blush, he'll give almost anything a try, at least once, maybe two or three times, hell even four times if he feels up for it.

History: Supposedly born into a minor noble family, Faustus grew up without needing to do much, although he always strove to do more than anyone would let him. At five he snuck out on to the roof and decided he could fly, taking a mighty leap he almost missed the ground, save for the fact that he didn't and landed with a dull thud in a luckily placed pile of hay. At seven he tried to run away with an acting troupe, he made it about half a day out of the villa when he was discovered and returned. At eleven he challenged his history teacher to a proper duel, and promptly beat him sending the poor man into a wallowing depression that lasted years. At fifteen, during a visit to a king with his family, he decided that the king needed a better wardrobe and cook, as he thought the king's taste was wretched and the food bland and tasteless. This went well, with his family being thrown out of the court and a massive fine imposed upon them, luckily avoiding the gallows. Finally at seventeen, fed up with the life in the minor courts, he bid farewell to his family, which with much "forced" despair let him go (meaning they wanted him gone probably more than he wanted to be gone). So with a rapier at his hip, some fine threads he had specifically had tailored for himself, he headed out into the world. At eighteen he dueled with a knight of the king's court, and happily knicked the knight's fine sword as he lay bruised in the dust. At nineteen, he finally met a match, a wandering monk who wielded a strange rope weapon with weights attached to it. Despite receiving a prompt beating, he had found something finally interesting in the world, spending the next year with the monk he trained in the use of this interesting weapon, soon developing amazing skill with it. So, he set off again; again tried to fly, this time successful if only for a little bit longer, as he happened to be jumping off of a cliff into a lake (as he decided it was better than meeting up with the horde of relatively nasty looking ogres and such that chased him up to that cliff after he managed to steal his way into their camp, trick the chieften out of his bracers, and then happily proclaim himself the new chief). Traveling now on foot after his mount didn't make it out of the last drab encounter, he watches the interesting marks on the back of his hand change and shift and feels that still, despite the women, the duels, the wine, something was missing.

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
I'd suggest the swashbuckler over the predator who might need to be modified midstream.

Is the meteor hammer finessable? What does it look like? I would not have thought of a swashbuckler with a hammer.

Ferrix

Explorer
The meteor hammer is a long cord 15' in length that splits into two cords at the end with a weight at the end of each cord. From Arm's and Armor, it's a double weapon, has reach, can be finessed, bonus to trip. Though you'll notice the damage on it isn't that high by itself... only a d6. Also called Liu Xin Chui. You could also change the heads with heavy darts to get rope-darts, allowing piercing damage instead of bludgeoning. Something my character plans to do eventually. If you've seen Kill Bill, the way that the school girl bodyguard of Oren (Lucy Lu) uses the chained ball is very similar to how a meteor hammer is used. It is a flexible or "soft" weapon, and can be used in circular or linear strikes, shooting out from different angles or rotations by wrapping it and then unwrapping it from various body parts. I thought it would be a really cool weapon for a swashbuckler type, very exotic and stylish panache.

A picture

W343.jpg

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Ferrix, your character is giving me a headache trying to read it. :\ Please space things out a line at a time and seperate the bonuses to attack and damage for each weapon. (is the meteor hammer masterwork? I don't think you can get the bonuses from adamantite (other than damage reduction compensation) unless the weapon is made almost entirely out of the metal - a meteor hammer looks more like a spear in this case.) er, and you made a mistake on the two handed stats for the meteor hammer. I'm disapointed to lose the potential woodsy guy in the party, but the concept itself looks fine. Just, er... space it out and label it a little more before my eyes cross permanently. ;)

Kahuna Burger

Ferrix

Explorer
sorry about that... will adjust accordingly.. different dm's like different stat blocks ;-)

the DMG says items without metal parts can't be made out of adamantine (and thus don't get the benefits for it), but if an arrow whose tip is adamantine gets the benefits, the meteor hammer should definately gain the benefits for being adamantine. +3000gp for just damage reduction penetration wouldn't be worth it otherwise. and the meteor hammer is masterwork, has to be cause one head is magic and the other is adamantine, adamantine weapons are always of masterwork quality.

Last edited:

deadestdai

First Post
A shame to see the druid go.... Would've been nice to have his majicks and natur-y stuff to join us.....

But I like the swashbuckler chap - he will be fun to play alongside!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases