[Oct] What Are You Reading?

Aus_Snow

First Post
Herremann the Wise said:
However, all is in stasis as it has been for several years now. October 19th represents my day of satiation. I'm almost considering taking two days off of work, cancelling my evening maths tutoring commitments and telling my wife that I will resurface to the land of the living on October 21st. Fortunately she understands (If only this other once a fortnight D&D habit I have was so well received too). I am of course talking about the Australian release of A Feast for Crows by George R. R. Martin.
Hah! That got a chuckle. I am pretty much with you in spirit there.

Oh, yes. What I'm reading. Well, as usual, multiple things. A few books from some of the very kind and insightful posters here, plus the usual bits and pieces of non-fiction and RPG material.

Much preferable to TV, computer games and their various offspring most days, I find. :)

Last edited:

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
I'm almost finished The Warrior-Prophet, book two of R. Scott Bakker's "The Prince of Nothing" series that started with The Darkness That Comes Before. Very challenging, very interesting. Fantasy that actually has something philosophically interesting to say. Goes very nicely with Erikson (fantasy that has something historically interesting to say) and Brust (fantasy that has something emotionally interesting to say).

And I recently yet again reread The Swords of Lankhmar. Is it just me or is that book damn near perfect?

myrdden

First Post
barsoomcore said:
I'm almost finished The Warrior-Prophet, book two of R. Scott Bakker's "The Prince of Nothing" series that started with The Darkness That Comes Before. Very challenging, very interesting. Fantasy that actually has something philosophically interesting to say. Goes very nicely with Erikson (fantasy that has something historically interesting to say) and Brust (fantasy that has something emotionally interesting to say).

I quite enjoyed the two books in this series so far. You are right - they are challenging to read but I found rewarding both from an intellectual view and an escapist view.

I just finished Dawnthief by James Barclay. Not a sophisticated read, or even fantastic, but it was pretty entertaining and fast paced. It follows the adventure of a mercenary group called The Raven and their encounter with a mage out to save the world. Like I said, nothing revolutionary, but it was entertaining.

The cover of the book in Canada is purple, including the edges of the pages which really makes it stand out on the shelf.

Just started 'Anansi Boys' last night, and am loving it. One of those books that really does make you laugh out loud (and makes people look askance at you when you do it on the Metro).

Zorro by Isabelle Allende- Great writing so far- i think once i am done i will read it in spanish.

The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell- Very interesting book on how "little things, make a huge difference in life." It seriously makes me reconsider the notion that one person cannot change the world.

Remove ads