October 2016 Sage Advice & PHB Errata

Spiked armor is worn, thus you can't duel wield with it. When I first read this my mind automatically replaced duel with dual, so I thought that there was actually a rules clarification stating that you cannot wear two sets of armour at the same time. But I guess a dwarf does it in Boarmurdered so you can't argue that there isn't precedence for it. This is another instance where all of...

Spiked armor is worn, thus you can't duel wield with it.

When I first read this my mind automatically replaced duel with dual, so I thought that there was actually a rules clarification stating that you cannot wear two sets of armour at the same time. But I guess a dwarf does it in Boarmurdered so you can't argue that there isn't precedence for it.

This is another instance where all of these rulings conform to my current understanding of the rules so no shockers for me.

ThePolarBear

First Post
Glyph of Warding (p. 245).
The first sentence clarifies that the magical effect needn’t be harmful. The final two sentences of the first paragraph now read as
follows: “The glyph can cover an area no larger than 10 feet in diameter. If the surface or object is moved more than 10 feet
from where you cast this spell, the glyph is broken,
and the spell ends without being triggered” (6th printing).

In my campaigns, the Red Wizards often ward envelopes and scroll-cases against prying eyes. This change completely removes that functionality.

Time for some Illusory script, alluding at the fact that it's actually an illusory script. After having the party run around for a source of truesight, the true message reads "Sucks to be you". And then there's a Magic Mouth on the case that only activates when the intended person opens it.

I completely missed the errata. Things I think should bring some happiness:

Twinned Spell (p. 102). [FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]To be eligible for Twinned Spell, a spell must be incapable of targeting more than one creature at the spell’s current level.

Pact of the Tome (p. 108). [FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]The cantrips are considered warlock spells for you, and they needn’t be from the same spell list.
Book of Ancient Secrets (p. 110). [FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]The rituals needn’t be from the same spell list. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

Lanliss

Explorer
Quick question. I just bought anew PHB, how do I tell if my copy includes this Errata?

EDIT: Never mind, I just checked my book against some of the listed changes. I do have the most recent version.

Last edited by a moderator:

Satyrn

First Post
Quick question. I just bought anew PHB, how do I tell if my copy includes this Errata?

EDIT: Never mind, I just checked my book against some of the listed changes. I do have the most recent version.
there's a number somewhere in the ISBN or thereabouts, but I was gonna suggest you do what you just did.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
In my campaigns, the Red Wizards often ward envelopes and scroll-cases against prying eyes. This change completely removes that functionality.

Why do the red wizards send sensitive notes if they have access to 3rd level spells, such as glyph of warding and sending?

I suppose you might be sending a highly sensitive missive to someone whom you are not 'familiar with', but who knows the password/you have a good description of?

Anyway, the solution is to make a new spell to ward your missives... although you might want to put some thought into why glyph of warding is immobile (mainly to prevent the creation of spell grenades) and come up with a reason that your spell can't be used that way either.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Conan would like a word with you.
The kind of barbarian that Conan is has almost never been what D&D means when it uses the word barbarian (there was a fighter kit called barbarian that meant the kind Conan is - but the various barbarian classes have basically never even tried to emulate Conan, nor was Conan given any levels of barbarian when TSR put stats to him).

Remove ads

Remove ads