• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General On gatekeeping and the 'live-streaming edition wars'

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
You are presuming that I think mine is worth more than others. My argument is that it shouldn't be worth less. Mercer's statements reassuring people hold less weight than if WotC were to be the one making the statement - he isn't the one controlling WotC's schedule - WotC is. If WotC wants to chase potential future customers at the expense of existing long term customers, they shouldn't be surprised when we go support companies that produce what we want, especially if their flash in the pan new customer base dries up.
How can you still not understand this? WotC would not be releasing this product unless they have data that shows that Critical Roles viewers are not 'potential customers', but actual customers, who are already paying to play the game, including through buying rulebooks and APs.

These are not 'potential customers', they are a new branch of customers who already exist.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Making hay while the sun shines is a time tested business model. I'll circle back to my main point, if you want WotC to make the books you want they need to continue to be a profitable business. Capitalizing on business opportunities is part of that. You really should be happy, not angry, that those books you despise so much have sold as well as they have. That money and expanded played base is what's going to get you the books you want.

3catcircus

Adventurer
Making hay while the sun shines is a time tested business model. I'll circle back to my main point, if you want WotC to make the books you want they need to continue to be a profitable business. Capitalizing on business opportunities is part of that. You really should be happy, not angry, that those books you despise so much have sold as well as they have. That money and expanded played base is what's going to get you the books you want.
Every business ever who overextended themselves said the same thing...

generic

The more accurate statement is every individual D&D player ~= me.
Well yes, but I suspect that there are fewer D&D players who share your preferences than D&D players who enjoy Critical Role, who WotC has almost certainly compiled statistical data on.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Every business ever who overextended themselves said the same thing...
How has WotC overextended themselves? They've produced books you don't like, but those books have sold like hotcakes, and in between those books they've released other books to support existing settings, and those books have also sold like hotcakes. If you think that existing players are going to sell all their books and walk away from D&D because they are upset with the release schedule I think you'd need to maybe provide some evidence that that is the case.

generic

Again, I'd argue the statistical data is only as good as the honesty of the survey responses where people may say one thing but end up actually doing another.
What do you mean by this? Are you saying that most respondents who watched Critical Role are not actually going to purchase D&D products?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads