D&D General On gatekeeping and the 'live-streaming edition wars'

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Geekdom is so busy "othering" its own members when it should be celebrating the fact that geeks are cool now.

They did, for a while.

Now they feel comfy enough to display their darker sides in public, just like everyone else.

Happens with every normalized subculture.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
"No. Cancer in yout body is literal cancer."

Tell me more about the "yout" body, oh master of linguistic gate keeping.

"Sure. You don't need to be perfectly correct to be a gatekeeper. In fact, you probably aren't. All you need to be a gatekeeper is vehement and self-important!"

He said, as he fixed a typographical error, and gave a quick prayer of forgiveness to the Gods of Propriety for his venal sin, while simultaneously demanding justice for the literal mortal sin....

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I mean, seriously, this doesn't need to said every five minutes. It's just another way to divide people into "us' and "them". We're all D&D fans. There's no need to 'technically' divide people into camps.
Why on earth not?

Many people are hockey fans, but that doesn't at all mean they're going to cheer for every team equally. I mean, Leafs fans and Canucks fans are all hockey fans yet good luck getting them to agree on anything, ever*.

* - well, other than a mutual dislike of Boston...

Same is true in D&D. We're all D&D fans, but D&D is a pretty big tent and within that tent we all have things we support and promote and things we don't support and don't want to see promoted; and those things will be more or less different for each of us individually. Those opinions are going to come out in what we say, be it here or elsewhere; and without divergent opinions there isn't much point in discussion.

Asking everyone to support everything is, IMO, idealistic to the point of folly.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I see this sort of thing as a matter of energy and focus.

Do we want to spend energy building bridges, or building walls. Do we want to focus on understanding and sharing what we love, or focus on making sure we love the right thing.

And, this isn't limited to anything. This happens everywhere and for everything. For example, I know as an Anime fan there are certain things I like and don't like. One of those is that I generally cannot stand English Dubbing on certain shows, they just sound wrong and stupid to me. I know other Anime fans who don't like subbed, because they don't like reading their shows, they want to watch them.

But, I also know that the vast majority of fans started with a dubbed show. I did. Because that is far easier to get into, watch, and enjoy. And this isn't some attempt to make myself sound superior, because that is also a thing people do "I watch anime the real way instead of using crutches like dubbing" is a thing you will see all the time.

And now let us look at the person who isn't a fan, the person who is just curious about what the heck everyone is talking about. The more toxic the fanbase and the more people are fighting, the more likely that person is to bail.

I know for a fact that I have a few friends who have responded to my getting interested in a show with "oh, that is a good show, but don't go online and talk about, the fan base is incredibly toxic" or "I thought about watching it, but everyone seems to hate it, so I never bothered"

Bringing this to a close (because I am being called) I think one of the early posts said it best. It is about intent. You don't have to like everything, you don't have to support everything, but if you are still being defensive, if you are still thinking "this is the real way to enjoy this"... well, that's just not cool. The world can be a terrible and depressing place, full of pain and sadness for no good reason. We should be kind and accepting, and share the bright spots with people, even if they see them in a different color than we do.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Why on earth not?

Many people are hockey fans, but that doesn't at all mean they're going to cheer for every team equally. I mean, Leafs fans and Canucks fans are all hockey fans yet good luck getting them to agree on anything, ever*.

* - well, other than a mutual dislike of Boston...

Same is true in D&D. We're all D&D fans, but D&D is a pretty big tent and within that tent we all have things we support and promote and things we don't support and don't want to see promoted; and those things will be more or less different for each of us individually. Those opinions are going to come out in what we say, be it here or elsewhere; and without divergent opinions there isn't much point in discussion.

Asking everyone to support everything is, IMO, idealistic to the point of folly.
I don’t think you’re talking about the same thing. We’re talking about not gatekeeping.

Remove ads