• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) One D&D Survey Feedback: Weapon Mastery Spectacular; Warlock and Wizard Mixed Reactions

Jeremy Crawford discusses the results of the Packet 5 Survey: Weapon Mastery at 80% approval, and all options except for Flex scored similarly. Crawford says that Flex is mathematically one of the most powerful properties, but will need some attention because people didn't feel like it was. This feature is in the 2024 PHB for 6 Classes, guaranteed at this point. Barbarian scored well...

Jeremy Crawford discusses the results of the Packet 5 Survey:

• Weapon Mastery at 80% approval, and all options except for Flex scored similarly. Crawford says that Flex is mathematically one of the most powerful properties, but will need some attention because people didn't feel like it was. This feature is in the 2024 PHB for 6 Classes, guaranteed at this point.
  • Barbarian scored well, particularly the individual features, average satisfaction of 80% for each feature. Beserker got 84% satisfaction, while the 2014 Beserker in the 2020 Big Class Survey got 29% satisfaction.
  • Fighter received well, overall 75% satisfaction. Champion scored 54% in the Big Class Survey, but this new one got 74%.
  • Sorcerer in the Big Class Survey got 60%, this UA Sorcerer got 72%. Lots of enthusiasm for the Metamagic revisions. Careful Spell got 92% satisfaction. Twin Spell was the exception, at 60%. Draconic Sorcerer got 73%, new Dragon Wings feature was not well received but will be fixed back to being on all the time by the return to 2014 Aubclass progression.
  • Class specific Spell lists are back in UA 7 coming soon, the unified Spell lists are out.
  • Warlock feedback reflected mixed feelings in the player base. Pact magic is coming back in next iteration. Next Warlock will be more like 2014, Mystic Arcanum will be a core feature, but will still see some adjustments based on feedback to allow for more frequent use of Spells. Eldritch Invocations were well received. Crawford felt it was a good test, because they learned what players felt. They found the idiosyncracy of the Warlock is exactly what people like about it, so theybare keeping it distinct. Next version will get even more Eldritch Invocation options.
  • Wizard got a mixed reception. Biggest problem people had was wanting a Wizard specific Spell list, not a shared Arcane list that made the Wizard less distinct. Evoker well received.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Goliaths in core, Fighters get a tiny sliver of what they should have had all the time, first level feats, Tasha's ability scores in core, Paladins smites can be counterspelled, druids lost the metal armor rider, we got rid of 'race' as a term in the largest RPG, 1st and second levels no longer matter at all, the 'weapon attack vs attack' thing remains unfixed and continues to mock us all as a people, wizard is still losing page space thanks to only 4 subclasses, the word 'prepare' is not overused to meaninglessness, Rogues continue to be the one well-designed class...

I mean it's a mixed bag, but there's still a lot of changes. It's not like a playtest ever rug-pulled us and we got nothing we were prom... oh.

Carry on then.

Not really: if they figure out their audience doeanwanr something...drop it for what they want. It's not a struggle session to browbeat people into liking something that they don't like. And frankly I don't think more time would have changed the methodology: as it is, they seem to be finalizing everything well in advance of publication.
Thats the thing though….. we don’t know that people don’t want them. just Because something scores 70% doesn’t mean people didn’t like it more than what is in the game from 2014. There isn’t necessarily a direct comparison in the surveys.

Last edited:

Here's the thing blowing my mind.

First off, Crawford said last video that they did NOT have time to give anything more then one pass anymore, if that, which means if something isn't perfect out the gate, they default to the original way because it already works.

Second off, Crawford says this video many things are getting around 60% feedback from the previous packet. However, we already know that since they won't be revising things, that means that things at 60% get rolled backed to the original version, or something close to it.

So when everyone in this thread keeps talking about the MAJORITY, keep in mind THE MAJORITY has NOTHING to do with the rollbacks. It is not the MAJORITY that is saying they want 2014 pact slots, just 40% (adjust for different rule). So for many things, THE MAJORITY is showing interest in the new direction, but doesn't want to use it without new tweaks. Therefore, there things get rolled back.

It is making me sick having to read so many people pretending like every single reversion is because the majority was far more satisfied that way. We're talking margins of 10-20% for the most part, some of which still involve the majority, just not WotC's necessary super majority.
Exactly. Well said. Time is the issue. The play test to me appears kind of bungled. I know the OGL slowed it down but even then I am not sure they ever allowed enough time.

mamba

Legend
The assassin is a weak subclass on it's own, what is the problem is the unholy abominations of various multiclass combos.
Assassin 3/gloomstalker 4/fighter 11/paladin 2 comes to mind.
If this were where the game’s problems are, I’d say leave everything as is… it’s as close to perfect as it will get

Maybe do not allow multi-classing, only dual-classing, done

Last edited:

mamba

Legend
It’s not a new edition. They have reiterated that it is still 5e countless times. The whole point is that it’s not a new edition.
when they said it would be compatible, I believed them, despite the changes the early playtests contained.

The disappointing thing is that none of them did. We are not getting any more changes than we got with Tasha.

mamba

Legend
Thats the thing thought….. we don’t know that people don’t want them. just Because something scores 70% doesn’t mean people didn’t like it more than what is in the game from 2014. There isn’t necessarily a direct comparison in the surveys.
I’d argue the survey is the comparison and 60% means it is better already…

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads