• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) One D&D Survey Feedback: Weapon Mastery Spectacular; Warlock and Wizard Mixed Reactions

Jeremy Crawford discusses the results of the Packet 5 Survey: Weapon Mastery at 80% approval, and all options except for Flex scored similarly. Crawford says that Flex is mathematically one of the most powerful properties, but will need some attention because people didn't feel like it was. This feature is in the 2024 PHB for 6 Classes, guaranteed at this point. Barbarian scored well...

Jeremy Crawford discusses the results of the Packet 5 Survey:

• Weapon Mastery at 80% approval, and all options except for Flex scored similarly. Crawford says that Flex is mathematically one of the most powerful properties, but will need some attention because people didn't feel like it was. This feature is in the 2024 PHB for 6 Classes, guaranteed at this point.
  • Barbarian scored well, particularly the individual features, average satisfaction of 80% for each feature. Beserker got 84% satisfaction, while the 2014 Beserker in the 2020 Big Class Survey got 29% satisfaction.
  • Fighter received well, overall 75% satisfaction. Champion scored 54% in the Big Class Survey, but this new one got 74%.
  • Sorcerer in the Big Class Survey got 60%, this UA Sorcerer got 72%. Lots of enthusiasm for the Metamagic revisions. Careful Spell got 92% satisfaction. Twin Spell was the exception, at 60%. Draconic Sorcerer got 73%, new Dragon Wings feature was not well received but will be fixed back to being on all the time by the return to 2014 Aubclass progression.
  • Class specific Spell lists are back in UA 7 coming soon, the unified Spell lists are out.
  • Warlock feedback reflected mixed feelings in the player base. Pact magic is coming back in next iteration. Next Warlock will be more like 2014, Mystic Arcanum will be a core feature, but will still see some adjustments based on feedback to allow for more frequent use of Spells. Eldritch Invocations were well received. Crawford felt it was a good test, because they learned what players felt. They found the idiosyncracy of the Warlock is exactly what people like about it, so theybare keeping it distinct. Next version will get even more Eldritch Invocation options.
  • Wizard got a mixed reception. Biggest problem people had was wanting a Wizard specific Spell list, not a shared Arcane list that made the Wizard less distinct. Evoker well received.

Then why change it at all?
If they publish PHB that is 95% same as 2014, who will buy it?
I might if my old breaks down, so I might as well buy the updated. But, aside of that? No reason.
Every class is being changed and polished.

The misers aren't going to buy it, nor are some hardcore (I didn't buy my PHB until thanks to ZakS and the RPG Pundit had been removed). But unless they do something daft every single class is going to be improved, and the feats are literally all changed and definitely improved. So many will buy it.

But there's more in there for players than there was Tasha's or Xanathar's. And there is definite power creep in there so people will want the cooler versions. There's a definite market.

I've always been more interested in the DM side than in the already good player side. But the market for a new DMG and MM is generally one person per table, not one per player.

Remathilis

Legend
If Cunning Strike doesn’t make it into the 2024 PHB, I’ll eat a small piece of the rogue section from my 2014 PHB.
I'll admit, it's a pretty slim chance that it doesn't make it (though I wouldn't be surprised if it gets neutered somehow on the way). But there is always the chance that if it doesn't Spark Joy, they will simply abandon it rather than fix it. It's a feeling now that things are "love it or it's back to 2014". And to be honest, unless the words "this is definitely in" escape Jeremy's lips, I will assume all things not in the current playtest packet lack object permanence going forward.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I'll admit, it's a pretty slim chance that it doesn't make it (though I wouldn't be surprised if it gets neutered somehow on the way). But there is always the chance that if it doesn't Spark Joy, they will simply abandon it rather than fix it. It's a feeling now that things are "love it or it's back to 2014". And to be honest, unless the words "this is definitely in" escape Jeremy's lips, I will assume all things not in the current playtest packet lack object permanence going forward.
I get that, but I have heard nothing but glowing praise for Cunning Strike, and like one person who thinks the trip option is too strong against flying monsters. Obviously that’s just my experience, but it also appeals in exactly the same way as Weapon Mastery does, and that has been incredibly popular. I’ll be astounded if it doesn’t at least clear the 60% mark, but I think it’s more likely to land in the 80%+ range.

teitan

Legend
There's literally no difference, so why does it matter?

(And I'd say this the same way to everyone who might've gotten upset if WotC were to go back and turn the ASI feat back into just an ASI. Neither direction matters.)
There is a massive difference. One is removing the option to not use the feats. The other is here you have to use feats but we have a bone for those who don’t want to… take a feat. As a DM I don’t want them forcing an optional rule on me.

Are you bothered by the name "feats" or something? Because you can think of L1 feats as "Background Features" and take ASIs from then-on-out. What's the difference?
It's still a change. Before you could totally avoid using feats. Now it's forced on you at level 1 despite the addition of ASI feats. I'm warming up to feats personally.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads