• Resources are back! Use the menu in the main navbar. If you own a resource, please check it for formatting, icons, etc.

5E One Shot: Legends are Made, not Born (IC)

KahlessNestor

Explorer


Skulltop Hillock
Morning

Milady crept back to the others. “Cages,” she said. “Two prisoners, and a dwarf building cages. There’s a wooden portcullis blocking the tunnel. Someone strong might be able to lift it, or I could snipe the dwarf through the bars.”

[sblock=Actions]
Action:
Move:
Bonus Action:
Free Interaction:
Conditions:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Milady’s Mini Stats]
Inspiration: 0
AC: 15
HP: 12/12 HD: 1/1d10
Init: +3
PP: 10
PI: 12
Bolts: 39 Used: 0
Second Wind (1/R 1d10+1)
[/sblock]

[sblock=Loot]
Ogre gemstone (Milady)
Black bear pelt (Milady)
[/sblock]
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Snorri frowns. "A dwarf making cages? What sort of outcast would imprison good folk knowingly?"

He looks up at Milady, pondering. "Unless he's the jailor himself."

Snorri raises his shield and hammer, ready to move into the chamber and confront his fellow dwarf.
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer


Skulltop Hillock
Morning

Milady shrugged. With Snorri along, there was unlikely any way to quietly sneak up, though the hammering would cover some of his clanking.

“I’ll cover you if you lift the portcullis,” she told the dwarf, readying her hand crossbow. She aimed through the bars to await their lifting.

[sblock=Actions]
Action:
Move:
Bonus Action:
Free Interaction:
Conditions:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Milady’s Mini Stats]
Inspiration: 0
AC: 15
HP: 12/12 HD: 1/1d10
Init: +3
PP: 10
PI: 12
Bolts: 39 Used: 0
Second Wind (1/R 1d10+1)
[/sblock]

[sblock=Loot]
Ogre gemstone (Milady)
Black bear pelt (Milady)
[/sblock]
 

EarlyBird

Villager
Hassan steps up quickly to the wooden portcullis. "Odd that dwarf has locked himself in also," he asks questioningly. "Why would he do that?"

The "lock" is only a wooden bar set across the gate, but still looks like he would be unable to lift it off from inside. Hassan lifts the gate holding it so Snorri and Mi'Lady can go in first. Then he set the board to hold the gate up, for which it looks like it was meant to do.

The whole while the dwarven carpenter never stops at his work.
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer


Skulltop Hillock
Morning

“Can anyone get those cages open?” Milady whispered, once again cursing her lost thieves tools. “Might need to smash them. I’ll cover the dwarf. Or we kill him and see if he has keys.”

[sblock=Actions]
Action:
Move:
Bonus Action:
Free Interaction:
Conditions:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Milady’s Mini Stats]
Inspiration: 0
AC: 15
HP: 12/12 HD: 1/1d10
Init: +3
PP: 10
PI: 12
Bolts: 39 Used: 0
Second Wind (1/R 1d10+1)
[/sblock]

[sblock=Loot]
Ogre gemstone (Milady)
Black bear pelt (Milady)
[/sblock]
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
More curious than anything, Snorri walks around the laboring dwarf and within his sight, and greets him quietly. "Dumathoin's blessing, friend."

Not saying anything else, he keeps his shield and weapon ready and awaits the response. If it seems the other dwarf is hostile, Snorri will start to attack right away.
 

EarlyBird

Villager
Surprised by the greeting the old dwarf misses a beat of his hammering and turns towards the group frowning.

dwarf_alchemist.jpg

"Wha-?" he fumbles at his board a moment. "I wasn't...who are all of you? Friends of Suto? Come for the dinner party?"
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
For a few moments, Snorri has no idea what to reply. Then, he starts whispering, "What dinner party? Who's Suto? And how does the ogre fit into all this?"
 

tglassy

Explorer
Badger stayed behind to examine the lab, looking through the books and trying to discern what he could. His usual unhinged demeanor seemed to slip away, being replaced with an endless, intense curiosity.


Sent from my iPad using EN World
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer


Skulltop Hillock
Morning

As Snorri talked with the dwarf, Milady edged over toward the cages, still keeping her eye on the dwarf in case it came to violence.

“Where are the keys?” she quietly asked the woman in the cage, looking around to see if she could see anything to get the cages open.

Perception: 1D20 = [20] = 20

[sblock=Actions]
Action:
Move:
Bonus Action:
Free Interaction:
Conditions:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Milady’s Mini Stats]
Inspiration: 0
AC: 15
HP: 12/12 HD: 1/1d10
Init: +3
PP: 10
PI: 12
Bolts: 39 Used: 0
Second Wind (1/R 1d10+1)
[/sblock]

[sblock=Loot]
Ogre gemstone (Milady)
Black bear pelt (Milady)
[/sblock]
 

EarlyBird

Villager
Each cage has a short length of chain held by a medium sized padlock holding the doors tightly shut. The dwarf picks up his board and starts his work anew. "Must get this all done in time. Have to be ready," he mumbles as he hammers.

Hassan looks at Snorri and shrugs.

"Suto has the keys," the young woman says moving to the front of the cage. "He means to have all if us for dinner."
_________________________________________________

Badger notices that the device hasn't been used in a week or more. But the equipment is still in good shape. Out of the corner of his eye he sees across the way (opposite of where the others went), another room with a bed, desk, a bookcase full of manuscripts.
 

tglassy

Explorer
And now Badger goes investigating that room! Manuscripts!

Investigation: [roll0]
Arcana: [roll1]


Sent from my iPad using EN World
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer


Skulltop Hillock
Morning

“Suto? Is that the ogre?” Milady asked. “Don’t worry about him. We took care of him. What’s up with the dwarf?” She nodded toward the muttering builder. She didn’t have any tools, so this was going to require brute strength. Not her forte.

Milady gripped the bars and pulled.

[sblock=Actions]
Action: Athletics: 1D20+2 = [10]+2 = 12
Move:
Bonus Action:
Free Interaction:
Conditions:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Milady’s Mini Stats]
Inspiration: 0
AC: 15
HP: 12/12 HD: 1/1d10
Init: +3
PP: 10
PI: 12
Bolts: 39 Used: 0
Second Wind (1/R 1d10+1)
[/sblock]

[sblock=Loot]
Ogre gemstone (Milady)
Black bear pelt (Milady)
[/sblock]
 

EarlyBird

Villager
The cages are just nailed together boards, so Mi'Lady wiggles loose the first one easily.

"Hey what are you doing?!" shouts the dwarf. Turning towards her he raises his hammer threateningly.

Hassan readies his halberd as the carpenter moves.

"Oh, don't hurt him!" the captive woman pleads. "He isn't himself!"
______________________________________

Badger looks over the binding of the bookcase full of books, tomes, and librams. (84 in all) These topics rangefrom conjuration/summoning rituals, the Abyss, the planes, diseases (natural and supernatural), and various science disciplines. It will take days to pour through them all. Luckily there's a bed.

Looking on the bed he sees an open book resting on it. Curiously he takes a look and finds it to be a diary. The page opened to the latest entry,

Date yesterday,
"The silver circle is almost complete, I believe it will be done tomorrow and then I will be ready to use the scroll and summon my master, Frogroth. I wish I had more sacrifices for him. Maybe I can get Blogg to hand over that stupid hobgoblin."
 

tglassy

Explorer
Badger looked at the books and scrolls hungrily. He felt an overwhelming urge to abandon his companions and read and study every book here, but this journal was troubling. It meant someone was currently using this library. That was bad. He needed to stop this ritual, so he could have time to study.

He collected a few promising books on supernatural diseases, and the journal, and kept an eye out for spell scrolls. Once done, he went to the others to show them what he found.


Sent from my iPad using EN World
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer


Skulltop Hillock
Morning

As the dwarf charged at her with the hammer, Milady snapped up her hand crossbow, sighting on the dwarf’s heart. She hesitated, though, as the woman cried out not to hurt him. “He’s building cages,” Milady protested, hesitating. “You got him, Snorri?” she asked, carefully backing up again to resume getting the woman out of the cage.

The crazy old wizard entered then, with an armful of books. “You have anything to contain that dwarf, wizard, so we can get these people out?” she asked. “I can almost hear the gold clinking in my purse, we’re that close.”

And now you’ve just jinxed it, Milady, she berated herself.

[sblock=Actions]
Action:
Move:
Bonus Action:
Free Interaction:
Conditions:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Milady’s Mini Stats]
Inspiration: 0
AC: 15
HP: 12/12 HD: 1/1d10
Init: +3
PP: 10
PI: 12
Bolts: 39 Used: 0
Second Wind (1/R 1d10+1)
[/sblock]

[sblock=Loot]
Ogre gemstone (Milady)
Black bear pelt (Milady)
[/sblock]
 

EarlyBird

Villager
Hassan reverses his halberd at the captives cries of mercy. He thunks the dwarf over the head as he advanced on Mi'Ladies back. The dwarf crumples in a heap and Badger never missing a beat steps over the unconscious form as if it weren't there. He holds an open book in his hand and is pointing at it excitedly.
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer


Skulltop Hillock
Morning

“Well, that works,” Milady tells Hassan. “What is he babbling about?” She nods toward Badger.

Turning back to the cage, Milady works to smash open the locks.

Edit: Coyote Code seems to be down for some reason, and I don't remember how to code for the site dice roller. I hate coding. So if someone else can roll that Athletics check for me, or I'll roll it later when Coyote comes back up.

[sblock=Actions]
Action: Athletics [dice]1d20+2[/dice]
Move:
Bonus Action:
Free Interaction:
Conditions:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Milady’s Mini Stats]
Inspiration: 0
AC: 15
HP: 12/12 HD: 1/1d10
Init: +3
PP: 10
PI: 12
Bolts: 39 Used: 0
Second Wind (1/R 1d10+1)
[/sblock]

[sblock=Loot]
Ogre gemstone (Milady)
Black bear pelt (Milady)
[/sblock]
 

EarlyBird

Villager
The female captive approaches the hole Mi'Lady is making by removing the wooden boards. "His name is Durbin, he is our town carpentry in Dundor Springs." she says standing ready to be free. "I don't know why he is here, and working for Blogg and that wicked man Suto."

The gnome captive hasn't said a word, he just continues to sit in his cage rocking back and forth. A large bruise can be seen on the side of his head. Hassan moves to start working on the gnomes cage. "Never mind him or Suto. We are here to take you home and that is what we are going to do."
 

Advertisement

Top