• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(OOC) DND 3.5 The Flames of War

OneCrappy DM

Explorer
It sort of depend on what other players want to take, and if the party is going to be formed around a central concept (ie members of a household or retinue) or a group of strangers.

thotd
Once a month Baron Greywarden has announced that every one of able body and at least 12 winters old that resides in his barony will report to his knights for routine spear training and a weekend expedition.

Providing the militia with a spear, a banner to wear, a buckler, and a pair of studded leather.

The party will be part of such militia, and need only contribute once a month as such allowing a downtime for crafting, brewing, etc.

Alternatively they can choose to earn extra favor by seeking fortune outside of their monthly assignment.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
I'm not married to the paladin idea, don't worry.

If we had more than phb, two paladins could be totally different beasts.

I have a druid and rogue concepts so...no problem

For pbp, there are good rules that help, let initiative be fluid, people post when they can, you narrate in order of posting rather than initiative so that the people can react to events. Giving AC and HP of monsters helps do people can describe hitzing, missing, killing...

OneCrappy DM

Explorer
I can start it off with two players, I just need your characters and professions so I can start writing the game.

As for Changing up creation rules they are hard set,

doghead

thotd
So, initial concept.

Name: Eos
Race: Elf
  • Size: Medium
  • Speed: 30ft
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Background: Forester
Class: Ranger
  • HD/HP: 1d8/8 Feat +3 Total 11
  • W&AP: Simple and Martial Weapons, Light Armour and shields (Except Tower shields)

Abilities:
  • STR: Base 14 [+2]
  • DEX: Base 15 RM +2 Total 17 [+3]
  • CON: Base 12 RM -2 Total 10 [+0]
  • INT: Base 10 [+0]
  • WIS: Base 13 [+1]
  • CHA: Base 08 [-1]

BAB: +1
Saves:
  • FORT: Base 2 ATT +0 Total +2
  • REFL: Base 2 ATT +3 Total +5
  • WILL: Base 0 ATT +1 Total +1

Feats:
  • Class: Favoured Enemy: Animal [TBC]
  • Class: Track
  • Class: Wild Empathy
  • L1: Toughness

Skills [6+INT]x4
  • Diplomacy __RK 0 BG +2 CHA -1 Total +1
  • Heal _______RK 4 ______WIS +3 Total +7
  • Hide _______RK 4 ______DEX +3 Total +7
  • Mv Silently RK 4 ______DEX +3 Total +7
  • Listen _____RK 4 RM +2 WIS +1 Total +7
  • Spot _______RK 4 RM +2 WIS +1 Total +7
  • Search _____RK 0 RM +2 INT +0 Total +2
  • Survival __ RK 4 ______WIS +1 Total +5
  • Use Rope __ RK 0 BG +2 DEX +3 Total +5

Back Story:

Everyone knows elves are beautiful, but also strange/capricious/sadistic/hedonistic/inscrutable/take your pick. Growing up in a largely human community, Eos struggled to fit in. So he sought refuge in solitude roaming the surrounding land alone. Exploring. Eventually he fell in with the Foresters, Herders and Hunters who likewise occupied the wild spaces far from town, and seems d to appreciate his talents, and care little about his origins and pointy ears. Not all of course, some were worse than those in town. These inhabitants of the wild Eos avoided as much as possible.

Eventually Eos came of age, and reluctant to take work in town, took up an offer to join the foresters. For a few years work was good. But recently, demand for timber has been falling, and making ends meet has become more challenging.

Gaps:
* Favoured Enemy: Based on assumption that Animals are the most likely danger in the wilds. Will adjust to
suit if most likely danger is goblins, dragons, undead, gnomes, elementals, etc.
* Back Story: Not sure whether raised by family (elves) or other (foster human/dwarf/orc/undead/troll family or
orphanage.

Edit: Added Forester background + skills.

thotd

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
OK, @doghead I was thinking of druid so we get an animal companions, but with melee and low charisma character...what do you say I go with a bard?

The original story was a noble, second or third son that went 'black sheep' and became druid, leaving trappings of civilization behind...and only returning when summoned for The Adventure (tm)

Now, it would be the same, except he would be a fop, never-do-well, embarassing son, but with all the capabilities of a noble scion (bard with high charisma)

What do you think? The alternative always remains the rogue, similar to bard, but without music and spells, but with trap finding and disabling...

OK, @doghead I was thinking of druid so we get an animal companions, but with melee and low charisma character...what do you say I go with a bard?

The original story was a noble, second or third son that went 'black sheep' and became druid, leaving trappings of civilization behind...and only returning when summoned for The Adventure (tm)

Now, it would be the same, except he would be a fop, never-do-well, embarassing son, but with all the capabilities of a noble scion (bard with high charisma)

What do you think? The alternative always remains the rogue, similar to bard, but without music and spells, but with trap finding and disabling...
Can I join? Just finished the ooc thread. Tentatively thinking straight fighter or rogue. Or fighter rogue.

I’m fine with phb: it’s my favourite book and it means I don’t have to research piles of feats and abilities.

I’ll read the IC thread soon.

doghead

thotd
<snip>

I would say play what you want. Then play to see what happens. We may all die horribly. But better to have played and lost etcetera ...

That said, I think an urbane bard and socially inept ranger makes a good combination. Each has a niche. It also offers the potential of a yin/yang, love/hate dynamic between the characters. The former can be built into the character (as you said, my PC has the wilderness skills, yours has social skills). Particularly with the proposed background: your PC has a name that evokes grandeur, mine has a name that invokes suspicion. The latter, however I think is best left to play.

A rogue would work as well, and could incorporate the same family background. That said, I am inclined to favour the bard option.

thotd

If people are giving advice on dming a pbp I can say that I like a format that I haven't seen used on this forum at all.
I just find this format works well for organizing information.

Top of page: ooc saves and rolls from previous posts - usually in response to PC actions
Body of page: narration of all actions
Bottom of page: ooc of saves and rolls in current round - usually the actions of the monsters that PCs must react to.

Example:
Troll makes his saving throw against fireball and takes 20 damage:
35/55hp

The troll defly dodges the fireball and attacks Lugar twice with razor sharp claws

Troll attacks Lugar twice, hitting AC 24 and 13
DAMAGE: 15 and 12 piercing

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads