• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OOC] Land of Og (Now Playing)

Sniktch

First Post
No, 1 point in banging won't mean anything at this point - you need to get it to 12 to start getting bonuses. 1 point in strength will help a lot, though. Banging Caveman should aspire to at least strength 7 to stop getting damage penalties.

To help others decide, here is where penalties stop in the various stats: Strength - 7, Smarts - all percent based, good to have at least 3 or for so you can use clubs and rock clubs, Speed - 8 to stop getting defense dice penalties, Banging - 8 to stop getting attack dice penalties, Health - 7 to stop getting HP penalties, and Grunting is all percent based. Generally speaking you need a 12 in a stat to begin receiving bonuses.

There are some benchmarks to watch out for:

Smarts 4 to use a Rock Club (lowest for a decent melee weapon)
Smarts 6 to use a Rock Thrower (lowest for a ranged weapon with any sort of long range)
Smarts 12 to use a bow & arrow (best long range weapon)
Smarts 14 to use a fire start kit (devastating short range weapon)
Smarts 7 to use a Long Pointy Thing (2nd best melee weapon and a good ranged weapon at close range)
Smarts 8, Strength 12 to use a Large Sharp Thing (best melee weapon in the game and best weapon period in terms of raw power - the dreaded 2 handed axe :cool: )

I've never seen anyone but a Strong Caveman reach the Large Sharp Thing level, and Gug has a looong way to go. In this case you may want to give up on that dream and just focus on Strength and Banging, but if you want to think that long term Gug would make it around level 10. I would suggest getting your smarts up to 4 at least through time so you can use the rock club. Even a 2 will let you use rocks.

Bangy Cavemen get your strength to 7, smarts preferably to 7 but at least to 4, and then go banging all the way! Other cavemen are less combat intensive, and its a good idea for them to simply get the smarts to use a good range weapon and then focus on their primary stat. Getting your health to at least 4 or 5 is a good idea to have a decent chance of getting more than 1 HP when you level up.

Knight Otu

First Post
With Gug's amazing survival ability :)p) I actually thought about putting the point into health (and I kind of like using my head (;)), but I'll think about it.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
New character sheet for Ourgh!

Ourgh, Speedy Caveman
Ourgh - Level 2 Speedy Caveman
Strength: 1
Smarts: 6 (max vocabulary 6. Yes, its always = the smarts score)
Speed: 9
Banging: 4
Health: 2
Grunting: 4
HP: 2

Things you can do: Go and get stuff
Things you can't do: Summon Solar
Vocabulary: Go, Fire

Stuff: None (yet)

from the Land of Og playbook
"Faster than a speeding lava trail! More powerful than a... oh, nevermind... but he is fast! After getting chased so much by Strong Caveman, Fast Caveman has developed himself to get everything done in the shortest amount of time possible. When a tribe's home comes under attack and there's no hope for survival, who is there to run away and start another tribe? Fast Caveman."

Took the +1 in Smarts.

So this means I can use a Rock Thrower...hmmm...Ourgh need work out what Rock Thrower is and find one...:D

Also, with a Grunting of 4, do I have any chance of having a successful Grunt? :)

Sniktch

First Post
Knight Otu said:
What the ...., I'll take the bonus in smarts, so maybe Gug doesn't make so many stupid decisions anymore. :eek:

and also means Gug is now smart enough to know what to do with a rock! Plus, you get a new word as a bonus... and that word is "Water"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads