• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OOC] Psionicle

Zhure

First Post
GnomeWorks said:
By my book - which I found just a little while ago - the original four members of the party, being Syld, Osius, Jansson, and Sahgrim, all received 2314 XP for the battle with the Thri-Kreen (4 'Kreen, CR5[-1 b/c they were easier on you], and 14 levels in the party total: Syld-3, Osius-3, Jansson-3, Sahgrim-3, Shardorn-2). All XP that has been awarded since then has been given to you on these boards, somewhere in the OOC or IC threads.

Osius, I have no clue how your math got you at 5314 for the battle at the village - what did you do? I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just trying to figure out how much XP you should have, and my math doesn't get 5608 XP.

No problem. Let me recheck it.

3,000 - 3rd level start
+2,314 - fight at the village against the 'kreen
+159 - fight at the gate
+135 - fight in the tunnels.
= 5,608

... that's how I arrived at it.

If you meant that directed at Jarval, the 5314 is the 3000 base for the third level characters plus the 2314 at village.

Greg

Jarval

Explorer
Oops! Bad math on my part...

Zhure said:
If you meant that directed at Jarval, the 5314 is the 3000 base for the third level characters plus the 2314 at village.

Greg

Yup, I just forgot to subtract the 3000 my total for the fight at the village :eek:

So Nathan should have 3294 XP (total, including those for being 3rd level).

And Desimus should have 3135 XP (again total).

Sorry about the error, I hope this clears everything up.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
I wasn't adding in the 3000 for starting out, and you two were.

It's alright, we've got it figured out now. Everyone has this written down, now? Let's hope that this problem doesn't repeat itself later on.

dkoz

First Post
Once again I have to leave for a couple of days. My work is sending me to sea tomorrow and I will hopefully (weather permitting) be back late Sunday or early Monday. Gnomeworks will be running Desimus until I return.

dkoz

Zhure

First Post
I was a bit confused and thought it'd be better to resolve OOC.

GnomeWorks said:
GnomeWorks said:
Moving near Osius, however, draws an attack from him. Osius lashes out with his morningstar, trying to beat the Thri-Kreen away.

Osius gets a 20, a hit! Osius inflicts 5 points of damage to the Thri-Kreen.

Just checking to see if that was a possible critical or if the 20 was the total result. I assume the latter.

This is the actual confusing part for me.
Osius manifests Vigor defensively. As he does, the Thri-Kreen takes another swipe at him. Osius tries to tumble out of the way.

The Thri-Kreen gets a 25, a hit! Osius attempts to tumble out of the way (DC is 25). Osius gets a 12, and +13 is 25.

Osius barely manages to tumble out of the way, though now he is prone on the floor.

If Osius is manifesting defensively (Concentration Check, DC 16 for a 1st level power), he doesn't provoke an AoO at all. It is possible of course, that the Thri-kreen had a full attack action and delayed the latter part of it. Being prone is a result of a trip attack by the Thri-kreen? Or maybe a special ability? I'm not sure I'm following what happened. Either way, it's not a critical issue.

Thanks,
Greg

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Osius, you are correct. Again, I have made an error in combat, and I am sorry about it.

I also thank you for that link you provided in the IC thread. Until I find my PsiHB (and my PH, which I have also apparently misplaced), I will need to look at that. Fortunately, there is a lot of information out there, so we shouldn't run into too many problems.

Osius, this problem will be corrected. I apologize for the mistake.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Zhure, that 5 damage you took from the Thri-Kreen when manifesting defensively last round were incorrectly placed. You were correct, in that you didn't suffer from an AoO, so you took only 1 point of damage last turn, rather than 6. You took 8 points this turn, and were healed for 6. That's a total of three points so far.

Zhure

First Post
I don't believe temporary hit points can be healed by the baseline rules. :)

Greg

Glossary "TEMPORARY HIT POINTS: Hit points gained for a limited time through certain spells (such as aid) and magical effects. Unlike effective hit point increases, temporary hit points are “extras” that do not count against the character’s current hit points when the effect that granted them ends. That is, when temporary hit points expire, the recipient’s current hit points drop back to what they were before the “extra” points were added. (If damage has already reduced the recipient’s current hit points below what they were when the temporary hit points were gained, the character’s current hit points remain the same when the effect ends.) For example, a cleric casts aid on a fighter, adding 6 temporary hit points to the figher’s current hit points (26) for a total of 32. While the spell is still in effect, 3 points of damage from an arrow drop the fighter’s hit points to 29. When the aid spell ends, the fighter’s current hit points drop back down to 26, as though no damage had occurred at all. Note that when temporary hit points are lost, they cannot be restored as real hit points can be, even by magic.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads