OOC: The hunt for the blue palace (Troika!/Yoon-Suin, full for now).

tuffghost12

Ghostly Tuft
So... Uh... How does my sleep spell work?

From the book:

"To cast a Spell you must spend Stamina equal to the casting cost (the number in the brackets) and Roll Under your Skill Total in the Spell you wish to cast. A double 1 will always succeed while a double 6 will always fail and require a roll on the Oops! Table."

"Sleep (2): The wizard convinces a target to forgo wakefulness for a time, causing them to sleep until woken unless they successfully test their Luck. Remember: fighting is loud."

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
So... Uh... How does my sleep spell work?

As above - it's a bit different than the D&D combat spell - it can be very good outside of combat, or vs one large monster if it fails it luck check (ie it's saving throw).

Statistically, you have to roll 7 or under on 2d6, so a bit better than 50% success. You also have a total of 7 in your sword skill. However, the Ophilone's combat skill is lower (5) and since it's an opposed roll, your chance of success are actually higher. But if you fail, you get hit and take damage... but casting spells "costs" damage too so...

Perhaps the best answer is what would Dubi Gan do instead of the best tactical move. Besides, we're all learning the system here :)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Oh right, duh. You already said that it is not great in combat.

Would taking my shield off of the porter and putting it on take my whole turn? (And also draw my sword?)

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Oh right, duh. You already said that it is not great in combat.

Would taking my shield off of the porter and putting it on take my whole turn? (And also draw my sword?)

Drawing your sword is a free action - Troika is a bit loosy goosy on those details. To take your shield I would rule that it's one of those things he was carrying on his yoke so it's on the ground now, but it is right besides you... Troika has a rule for diging stuff out of your own backpack but this is different, but I'll sort of use said rule anyway: Roll 4 or higher on 2d6 and you can grab it too as a free action.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
So our first fight is almost over - this wasn't meant to be challenging, just to give an idea of how the system work. Any comments?

Soon after this, the party will be able to begin exploring properly...

Fradak

Explorer
Here are my thoughts. They're not problems, just things I noted.

One thing about initiative and awareness check. Don't fail it. The combat could have been over before Subotai or Dubai reacted. It's even more important than in other systems, because of those counter attacks.

For example, in a 2 vs 2 combat, a player could do 6 attacks before the second one plays.
Turn1
2 enemies attack player 1: 2 reactions for player 1
Player 1 turn: 1 action
Turn 2
2 enemies attack player 1: 2 reactions for player 1
Player 1 turn: 1 action
Player 2 turn: 1 action

On another hand, combats are very fast because of this. So don't fail awareness checks :p

Another thing about awareness. You ask us to throw it in advance which is a good thing, but I have a question.
lets assume the DM ask for a check. Players should throw 2D6 under skill+adv skill. To avoid an incoming trap for example. Mainly against environmental hazards I suppose.
But, if it was to spot a sneaking enemy, players should have to throw 2D6+skill+adv skill versus enemy sneak.
It is two different throws to do in Coyote Code. And the players don't know which one to do (and shouldn't know, obviously).
So, perhaps the players always throw 2D6+skill+adv skill and the DM sort it out.

About the reaction system (when you have to counter attack), it is great. It gives a nice feeling of exchange and uncertainty. But if I understand well, number is not an advantage here. In a 6 vs 1 combat, it could end in 1 round with the 6 men dead. It reminds me samurais movies, when you don't even understand how he managed to kill everyone around him in the blink of an eye. Let see how it runs.

And finally, it's a good thing we are all very present (partly because it's a new game) because the DM has to wait for the player's counter attack to solve every attack he makes. If it becomes a problem, perhaps you should throw those one your self?

Anyway, I like it so far.

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
@Fradak, I was sure you had rolled over your skill for awareness but maybe I was wrong? Very sorry about that. And your comment about awareness vs stealth (opposed vs flat roll) are well noted.

You've identified a unique challenge of Troika and play by post - the "opposed" rolls for attacks means that the players and the GM have to roll twice as much - it's almost as if instead of having a static AC, you rolled defense on each attack. I'm hoping that it will be manageable. I'm also hoping that we can keep up the good pace - this is not a long adventure so maybe it's feasible, we will see.

Lastly, you are also correct that in a large combat where you have one skilled swordsman vs many "bad" foes (say, goblins), the skilled swordsman could kill them all in one round. As you, I love the opposed nature of the roll, it actually is rather realistic in a 1 vs 1 fight. However for group fights it can be ridiculous. I'm going to keep running it as is, but maybe I'll house rule it in the future (perhaps a number of counter attacks limited by your weapon skill? a penalty when ganged up upon?). It's interesting that such a simple system has so much nuances to it.

Remove ads