• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OOC] When Journalists Attack: Electioneering

anonystu

J'Accuse PirateCat!
( ic | ooc | characters | recruitment )

Posting guidelines:

Be descriptive: the more you describe, the less other people have to ask, the less OOC talk needs to happen, and just the better quality the game is.

The IC thread should have only IC writing: tactics, clarifications should go in the OOC thread. Also, no signatures in the IC thread, it just adds clutter. Dice rolls should be done using the online dice roller, and if it needs clarification, just include it with the roll email.

Editing: correct grammar, spelling, and minor description at will. If you're going to change bigger aspects, consider whether it will make anybody's post afterwards look silly. If so, ask on the OOC thread first.

Rolls: Players are allowed to make rolls. To do it, go to an online dice roller, like this one, and cc me (anonystu@hotmail.com) on the roll.

Here's the roll server I like best:
http://www.daggerford.com/dice/advdiceserver.aspx

Combat will be handled in a sped up way: I will ask for your actions in a general sort of tactic way (although you can be explicit down to the action with if-then chains). I will then resolve the combat until I feel that the combat has reached a point where it's interesting to write about it, or that the situation has changed enough to warrant requesting new tactics.

If you're going to be missing, tell me.

Finally, and most importantly, I am a feedback-hungry monster. Feed me with the luscious, succulent feedback: if you feel I'm going too quick or too slow, and want me to do X or Y, or feel that I'm doing a great job, tell me, and I shall lap it up. If you're not having fun, tell me, and we'll make it more fun, and that's what this is all about.

Add your own preferences to this thread as well.

Last edited:

anonystu

J'Accuse PirateCat!
Thank you for filling in the name, Argent. Try to work your physical descriptions (or whatever your disguise is currently, although don't make a disguise roll yet) into your first post (Argent, feel free to go back and edit in). This is of particular importance for how well you can move around the city.

It is of note to remind you how elections work, that is, with the store up of power sapped from people voting with magical charms. The storage of magical energy is inefficient, and so voting one year out isn't nearly as valuable as voting today, which isn't nearly as valuable as voting in a week on election day. In any case, being so close to election day means people wear their colors more: virtually all people have on visible charms (buttons, t-shirts), advertising candidates' and their party general.

Tokiwong

First Post
Electioneering, sorry to intrude.... just reminds me of the Radiohead song of the same name... should be intereting to see where this goes...

anonystu

J'Accuse PirateCat!
Well, if you check out the IC thread, you'll see that the name came from the same source as you're thinking. It is a real word apart from it, though.

Electioneer \E*lec`tion*eer"\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Electionered; p. pr. & vb. n. Electioneering.] To make interest for a candidate at an election; to use arts for securing the election of a candidate.

Tokiwong

First Post
anonystu said:
Well, if you check out the IC thread, you'll see that the name came from the same source as you're thinking. It is a real word apart from it, though.

Thanks that is awesome, checked it out, Radiohead, is one of my fave groups of all time.. nice to see them getting some love :) anyways back to the normal game at hand :)

anonystu

J'Accuse PirateCat!
Wow, you guys are quick. Exciting! I'll respond tonight with a post, but a few things.

1) DE gets a cookie for putting in his physical description. All the rest of you should by the end of this scene.

2) I like the colors thing: you shouldn't let that distract you from describing how you sound, the emotion in your voice, but it adds a good deal of clarity, so if all of you would choose a color, and go with that, great. Jarval/Six: if you don't mind going back, do you want to add in your color?

If the color gets too distracting, let me know.

3) SixChan- could you sigstrip on the IC board?

4) I'll defer to people's opinions on this: how do you feel about people continuing conversations before I post? On one hand, I feel like having people respond to DE before I go on in four or five hours is fine, and keeps people active on the game: on the other hand, I don't want to make people feel like they're losing position or need to keep up.

You should know that if we go to a less structured posting cycle, that players won't be penalized at all for hewing to just the one post per day (or two days) that's normal.

Your call, tell me what you think so we can establish a precedent and go.

Dark Eternal

First Post
Thanks for the cookie. :)

As far as colors go, I do like having them, so long as they enhance the flow of the game. If they become distracting, or if they cause any kind of problem, I would definately agree to nix 'em. So I guess it depends on what everyone else thinks about it - if anyone doesn't like the colored dialogue, feel free to say so.

As far as posting frequency, I kind of have mixed feelings as well, along the lines that you seemed to mention. I definately like the idea of being able to get in some intercharacter dialogue, but I don't think anyone should feel forced to post more frequently than what we agreed on. But if some of us are posting dialogue several times a day, then the other characters get left out of the conversation - which does seem a lot like penalizing the player for not keeping up. I suppose it would be best to wait until everyone has a chance to throw their two cents in about what they would prefer, and then go with whatever is the most fair to everyone, accordingly.

And, just to end on a positive note, I really think this is going to be fun; we've got a great group here, everyone, and I'm very much looking forward to gaming with each of you.

Ciao~

Edit: Truncated sig.

Last edited:

Jarval

Explorer
1) Added a description of Justin's new look.

2) My dialogue now appears in Burlywood (whatever that is...).

3) Not my question ;)

4) I think it's a good idea to have some IC banter between DM posts. Those not able to post more than once a day won't be losing out on anything too important, but it'll allow for more characterisation. OTOH, if it starts to disrupt the flow of the game, then we can always cut back on the chit-chat.

anonystu

J'Accuse PirateCat!
Alright, we'll go to chit-chatting some of the time away: this will let us sort of go for the faster pace I think you guys are setting, but if you need to slow down, like you've got exams or whatever, you should tell us immediately, and feel like it's completely fine: we'll slow down. But hey, let's get momentum, let's roll all over the place.

DE, you don't need to desig your ooc posts.

Dark Eternal

First Post
anonystu said:

DE, you don't need to desig your ooc posts.

Ok - thanks. :) I'd say truncating sigs is habit forming, but someone would wonder what kind of drugs I'm on, and I'd rather not say, so I'll not make the comment in the first place. :)

About the setup:

This is going to be interesting, I think. Would it be inappropriate to ask for some backstory here in the OOC thread? Like who was Arthur Carmichael, why was the third-string team being sent to interview his wife if he's someone important (although I suspect that a veteran team had already/was going to interview Arthur himself), what if anything do our characters already know about him, etc.?

On another note: it's occured to me that I should probably ask a couple of minor questions about my job. For example - big question, what does it take for me to snap a picture? I mean, is it a full round action, standard action, free action? I presume since you said that psions weren't the only ones who could be photographers that it doesn't cost me any PP. How many 'good' pics should I have for an average story? And whats involved in getting the picture 'developed'? Is that something I could conceivably do on my own, or would any pictures I took have to go through a higher up at the Float?

Just some things I've been curious about. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads