• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Order of the Stick: How long will they put up with Miko?

diaglo

Adventurer
krunchyfrogg said:
I don't think she has a very high INT, WIS, or CHA.

in the track comparison she states that she has an ability bonus (wis based for survival). she also talks about why she can afford to take crossclass skills (bonus from int). as to the cha that is an assumption based on her paladin lay on hands (cha based with 12 being lowest)

A powergamer might sink 1 level into Ranger (oh wait, that's 3e, not sure how many in 3.5) to cover a few of those feats, and it covers the skills too.

she said she wasn't a ranger in the track comic.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
It occured to me last night that maybe Rich's explaination of the combat was an extended bit of satire of DMNPC's. Miko never missing, the surpirse round, the super intelligent tatical genius horse, etc. all bear the hallmarks of a DM fudging rolls and situation so his 'pet' NPC can win at any odds. While I do not know Rich or his DM'ing style, I cannot help but draw the conclusion that he would be more adept than his 'faux' combat portrays due to his incisive parodies of the rules. Anyone that can pick the system apart for humor while leaving it basically intact should not have presented that ludicrous example of combat without a tongue firmly planted in the cheek. IMHO.

PhoenixDarkDirk

First Post
Sejs said:
Actually he refered to Varsuuvius as "s/he". V's still a mystery.

Actually, at one point definite male terms were used for Vaarsuvius: "Miko goes nuts on V, critical hitting him with her katana and knocking him to -1 in one shot." I always thought the character was male, and didn't even notice the ambiguity until it was specifically mentioned.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
diaglo said:
in the track comparison she states that she has an ability bonus (wis based for survival). she also talks about why she can afford to take crossclass skills (bonus from int). as to the cha that is an assumption based on her paladin lay on hands (cha based with 12 being lowest)

she said she wasn't a ranger in the track comic.

Rats. :(

Storm Raven

First Post
krunchyfrogg said:
I don't think she has a very high INT, WIS, or CHA.

From the description of the combat, she probably has a high Charisma - she heals "most of her damage" by laying on hands. The formula for laying on hands is paladin level x Charisma modifier. I'm guessing she is a 10th level paladin/2nd level monk (she made three smite evil attacks against Belkar, dealing "30 points of smite damage" to him). For her laying on hands ability to have much effect, she would have to have a Charisma bonus of +3 or +4. Her saves are also boosted by divine grace, and she seems to make all of her saving throws, so I'm thinking that is another indication of a high Charisma.

From her description as having a high stunning fist DC, and a high AC, she probably has a high Wisdom. The formula for the stunning fist DC is 10 + 1/2 character level + Wisdom modifier. Given that she is about 12th level, that would mean her stunning fist DC would be 16 + Wisdom modifier. Even if Belkar has a poor Will save and a Wisdom penalty at 11th level or so, he might make a 16 (ignoring for the moment that stunning fist has a Fortitude save, and not, as Mr. Burlew asserted, a Will save). She also has a "high touch AC", part of which undoubtedly comes from her monk-based Widsom driven AC bonus. I'd peg her as having a +3 or +4 Wisdom bonus. She also noted that she had good tracking skills, at least partially because of her high ability score modifier, and Survival is a Wisdom based skill, which I'd consider another indication of a high Wisdom.

Her Intelligence may not be as high as her Wisdom or Charisma, but she did discuss in the past that she could spend skill points on cross-class skills because of her Intelligence bonus being high enough to afford it. I'd say she has at least an Intelligence bonus (i.e. a score of at least 12), and probably higher.

A powergamer might sink 1 level into Ranger (oh wait, that's 3e, not sure how many in 3.5) to cover a few of those feats, and it covers the skills too.

She would need two levels of ranger, and that would make her 14th level (she needs to be at least a 10th level paladin, to have three smite evil attacks per day; and a 2nd level monk, to have the evasion ability she displayed when fighting the ogres). I doubt if she has levels in ranger.

Given that she has Improved Two-Weapon Fighting (thus getting five attacks per round), we also know that she has a Dexterity of at least 17. Indicating yet another really high score. Given that she uses a bastard sword one handed, we know she has Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword, which requires a Strength of at least 13. She is a two-weapon fighter who does not use weapon finesse, so I'm guessing her Strength score is comparable to her Dexterity score.

If I had to guess, based on what we have seen in the strip, I'd say Miko's stats were, at a minimum: Str 16, Int 14, Wis 16, Dex 17, Con 14, Cha 16. I'm thinking a more likely array would be a few points higher on every stat.

Bagpuss

Legend
Bullgrit said:
Me too. My dwarf cleric (full plate & shield) found himself seperated from his warhammer on many occassions because he had to drop it to cast.

Might one suggest a lanyard, thus you don't leave your warhammer on the floor. Or a light shield/buckler which allow you to hold something (Divine Focus) in your shield hand.

I use a two handed weapon, that way you can just remove one hand from it to cast a spell.
Since two handed weapons can be carried in one handed just not used to attack, and you won't be attacking and casting a spell at the same time very often.

Last edited:

diaglo

Adventurer
Bagpuss said:
Might one suggest a lanyard.

I use a two handed weapon, that way you can just remove one hand from it to cast a spell.
Since two handed weapons can be carried in one handed just not used to attack, and you won't be attacking and casting a spell at the same time very often.

but do you threaten any more for those oh so important AoO? ;)

Bagpuss

Legend
diaglo said:
but do you threaten any more for those oh so important AoO? ;)

I believe you still do since letting go or grasping a weapon is a free action.

Round starts both hands on weapon threatening as normal...

My initiative
Free action let go with one hand.
Cast spell with somatic component.
Free action grasp weapon with both hands.
Threatening as normal.

That's how our group has always played it. It's why staffs are so popular with wizards. :D

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
PhoenixDarkDirk said:
Actually, at one point definite male terms were used for Vaarsuvius: "Miko goes nuts on V, critical hitting him with her katana and knocking him to -1 in one shot." I always thought the character was male, and didn't even notice the ambiguity until it was specifically mentioned.

That may have been the use of the default male pronoun in the English language. I'd be careful about reading into it.

Or not. I suspect V's gender is going to remain a mystery for the duration of the strip.

Storm Raven said:
I'm guessing she is a 10th level paladin/2nd level monk (she made three smite evil attacks against Belkar, dealing "30 points of smite damage" to him).

Remember - DMPC.

Who's to say she doesn't have levels in the "Lord Shojo's Trackers" PrC, which grants Track and TWF as bonus feats, along with continuing Lay on Hands, Smite Evil, and other ability progression?

Remove ads