D&D 5E Origin New Edition Panel

Dannager

First Post
In which case I don't like the idea of re-reading the rules/staying constantly updated on the errata whenever a new change comes out. But I'm probably in the minority on this board that has never kept up on game errata anyway.

You don't "reread" the rules. You are simply updated on changes. And, if you forget one for some reason, no big deal!

But house rules aren't going to go away, no matter how frequent the updates are.

Not my point. My point is that obviously a mismatch between a player's understanding of the rules and a DM's understanding of the rules is not an insurmountable obstacle, because players have been joining games with house rules for decades now. You simply bring the person up-to-speed (gradually, or all at once, or whatever) and move on.

I personally find it more appealing to make changes in big chunks rather than small increments. I'd much rather update a campaign to a new edition all at once rather than tweak character sheets every session because the initiative rules changed yet again.

Then it sounds like the edition treadmill is for you.

Dannager

First Post
This actually brings to mind another benefit I see of the edition model: the fact that I can hop off the treadmill when I'd like.

In your World of Warcraft comparison, if I want to get into the game but don't like a bunch of the changes they made, I'm out of luck. In tabletop gaming, if I don't like the new edition of a game, I can stick with my edition of choice and be able to easily explain the base starting point to incoming players.

So disable updates. Problem solved.

Or (gasp) house rule.

Dannager

First Post
New releases are usually compatible with the current rules; it is true. But, older releases are not necessarily compatible with the current version, each other, or any one person's preferred version.

In effect, you have N revisions of the game where N grows at least linearly with the changes published and in a worst case, more quickly.

I think you're missing the point. Under this model, older releases are compatible with the current version, because the older releases are updated as needed to maintain that compatibility.

Nagol

Unimportant
I think you're missing the point. Under this model, older releases are compatible with the current version, because the older releases are updated as needed to maintain that compatibility.

The game engine will be updated based on the player base feedback. Updates will almost certainly end there.

LOL, sure, if the burgeoning back material is constantly reviewed and updated to account for changes to the system, it would be a great thing. It won't be. There will not be enough manpower to dedicate to reviewing previously published works and adjusting them to conform to the changes to the game engine.

Adventures, splats, and additions will be orphaned -- not maliciously -- but because there is no way to provide the manpower to continuously update dependent material.

Dannager

First Post
The game engine will be updated based on the player base feedback. Updates will almost certainly end there.

LOL, sure, if the burgeoning back material is constantly reviewed and updated to account for changes to the system, it would be a great thing. It won't be. There will not be enough manpower to dedicate to reviewing previously published works and adjusting them to conform to the changes to the game engine.

Adventures, splats, and additions will be orphaned -- not maliciously -- but because there is no way to provide the manpower to continuously update dependent material.

What you're describing is a hard problem, but you are characterizing it as an impossible problem. I don't believe that's the case.

Dannager

First Post
Which would be cool, except WotC does indeed sell physical media. If this was all digital, it's not a problem. It's not.

Right. So it won't happen this cycle. It probably won't happen next cycle. But, if things continue to go the way they have been, it will eventually happen.

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
grinch-heart.jpg

Mike wrote a sidebar on THAC0 for the DMG! DMG will be more like a "hackers guide" to the game.

download.jpggrinch1.jpeg

Remove ads