D&D 5E Origin New Edition Panel

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Wherein ENWorld Paraxis:

Mike wrote a sidebar on THAC0 for the DMG!
Why ohh why! and isn't the fact AC is not capped going to be an issue, I mean you can get a huge negative AC value if you go the THAC0 route.

Argues with WOTC Paraxis:
Paraxis said:
I have no issue with it taking up a sidebar in the DMG though for those wacky enough to want to use it.

I am hoping for a death match.

Redbadge

Explorer
I think the the WotC dream scenario would be to transition to an MtG-like model, where D&D "editions" are treated like Magic editions (8th edition, 9th edition, etc.), eventually transitioning to the year model like Magic currently (i.e. Magic 2015).

In other words, the core rules are re-released every other summer, with slight changes (see: 6th edition Magic rule changes, 8th edition card frame update, addition of Planeswalkers, etc.). However, the core game is still recognizable, so that "D&D Player's Handbook 2018" is still largely compatible with D&D Player's Handbook 5th Edition, 1st Release (2014).

Ultimately, the goal would be Core Sets (semiannual PHB, DMG, MM) that serve to pull in an increasingly larger player base, while the real money is made by annual splats/expansions. I'm sure they'd love to see a model where D&D isn't seen to have "splat bloat" any more than Theros and Conspiracy expansions for Magic are considered bloat. Imagine D&D splats not only outselling the core re-releases, but splat sales actually increasing over time so that "Random Spell Splat 2018" actually outsells "1st Fifth Edition splat 2015", similar to the way that Mirrodin (2003) outsold Urza's Saga (1998) and Theros (2014) outsold Mirrodin.

That, ladies and gentlemen, would be a truly evergreen D&D.

Edit: Changed "biannual" to "semiannual". BIG difference.

Last edited:

Sadrik

First Post
I don't see errata as an issue. So long as they are minor updates and not major ones. Major ones should have been completely worked out prior to release anyway. Such as removing partial actions in 3e, for example. If the basic game rules are free and online no one should have any issues with it. A living game is the best and will delay the need for a 6e for a long while so long as the base game is good.

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
I think the the WotC dream scenario would be to transition to an MtG-like model, where D&D "editions" are treated like Magic editions (8th edition, 9th edition, etc.), eventually transitioning to the year model like Magic currently (i.e. Magic 2015).

In other words, the core rules are re-released every other summer, with slight changes (see: 6th edition Magic rule changes, 8th edition card frame update, addition of Planeswalkers, etc.). However, the core game is still recognizable, so that "D&D Player's Handbook 2018" is still largely compatible with D&D Player's Handbook 5th Edition, 1st Release (2014).

Ultimately, the goal would be Core Sets (semiannual PHB, DMG, MM) that serve to pull in an increasingly larger player base, while the real money is made by annual splats/expansions. I'm sure they'd love to see a model where D&D isn't seen to have "splat bloat" any more than Theros and Conspiracy expansions for Magic are considered bloat. Imagine D&D splats not only outselling the core re-releases, but splat sales actually increasing over time so that "Random Spell Splat 2018" actually outsells "1st Fifth Edition splat 2015", similar to the way that Mirrodin (2003) outsold Urza's Saga (1998) and Theros (2014) outsold Mirrodin.

That, ladies and gentlemen, would be a truly evergreen D&D.

Edit: Changed "biannual" to "semiannual". BIG difference.

This.... Makes almost too much sense, it's scary. Scary good? Especially with the hype of the so-called Tyranny of Dragons, aka the first D&D release....

Remathilis

Legend

Not seeing it.

I can't imagine the PHB/DMG/MM would resell every year. Most people won't gawk to $150 to rebuy updated rules. Furthermore, since D&D is competitive tournament play, there is very little incentive to keep up with the latest set.

HOWEVER

I can imagine a world where a "rules update" book comes out yearly, adding new rules, errata and clairifications along with some new subclasses, feats, spells, etc. Further, Monster books always sell. Meanwhile, the the online rules will just update as needed.

or, they could just add the errata to they yearly reprint.

Redbadge

Explorer
  1. It would make more sense if they weren't selling $50 core rulebooks.

Most Magic players spend well over $50 per set. A few drafts will run that. It's not unusual for many players in our store to buy a box of each set (36 packs, about $120 locally). Some (like me) buy cases! (6 boxes)

Last edited:

Cybit

First Post

Most Magic players spend well over $50 per set. A few drafts will run that. It's not unusual for many players in our stores to by a box of each set (36 packs, about $120 locally). Some (like me) buy cases! (6 boxes)

If I didn't know that they'd all cry at trying to keep updates going at that pace, I'd agree with you. :D

Most of them would hate that idea because it means they wouldn't get to go do their own side stuff for D&D, which is why they don't want to go down that route. :D

EDIT: Booo I was wrong. :(

From the panel;

More adventures in the future - products focused on story and driving campaigns, less of a "splatbook" approach.

I wonder if this means you could have your new rules and mechanics tied specifically to adventures. IE; A set of demon & devil hunting class options, spells, feats, all tied to a Blood War adventure or something.

Last edited:

Agamon

Adventurer

So, introduce new concepts much more slowly, like Magic? So maybe only a few new classes and spells a couple times a year (rather than dozens of everything every few months). And then use those concepts in adventures put out in between time. That certainly would slow the pace of splats down and perhaps make them more acceptable.

Sounds likely, the way they talk about future products, actually.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
I'm not sure what you're trying to say, here. Do you believe that this is a problem for living services? That no one has ever contended with this issue before, or that everyone who has tried has been unable to solve it?

Also, you're using words like "PDF" and "print" as though they would be expected to apply to the model in question. They probably wouldn't.

Thank you for elaborating a little bit on the nature of those newfangled "living services."
Clearly I'm not up-to-date on the latest jargon.

Re: the questions in the first paragraph: my answers to the last two are "No," and "No": I neither was saying that no one has ever contended with it before, nor that everyone has been unable to solve it. On the contrary, I didn't understand what you were driving at by the phrase "living services." (It sounds like, "You're WotC's automatic customer forever now!")

Remove ads