• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] TV troubleshooting

Guillaume

Julie and I miss her
LiVeWiRe said:

Make that 3! :D

Hey, I'm doing my Ph.D. away from home and I don't even have one. OK, my wife has one at our other appartment... and a DVD player... but they are both 400 km away !:(

Instead, I spend way to much time in my books and online !:D

Last edited:

Paladin

Explorer
KnowTheToe said:
I also have an RCA, and they do have a nice trouble shootin guide, but it failed to help me. Hitting it several times cause the line to jump and after about the tenth hit, the picture came back (but who knows for how long).

Thanks for the advice:D
In the Army we called that "percussive maintenance". :D

Zaknafein

First Post
the dreaded line

KnowTheToe said:
Nope. I unplugged the cable and I still only had the horizontal line. I think it is my tube, but am not sure.

Vendui,

I had that problem once... I had to get it fixed cost me 100 bucks... they told me it was something in the wiring, it got loose or something... not sure... but I can totally remember the dreaded line and paying the awful 100 bucks... but my T.V.'s been functioning 3 years and running now... hope that helps...

-in honor zaknafein

Painfully

First Post
Well, whatever you do, don't think you can service anything inside the set unless you know something about electronics. There is a powerful capacitor inside all TVs that stay charged for many hours even with the power cord unplugged. If you don't properly discharge it you're in for one hell of a shock!

Often times, the price of parts and labor can be more than the price to get a new set. I would recommend having it evaluated professionally only if the set is less than 7 years old (unless, of course, they are willing to do a free estimate--ask for it!), otherwise start shopping.

jdavis

First Post
Gee we are a three tv family and there are only two of us. My Parents were a 5 tv family.

Sounds like it's shot, If it's a 19 inch ditch it, you can get a good 19 inch set for what it would cost to fix it. If it's a larger one you might want to check to see if it can be fixed. If it is a older one well it's probably trying to send you a message on the joys of capitalism and forced obsolescence.

Remove ads