D&D 5E Out of the Abyss IC

Raza peered backward over her shoulder and saw that Shuushar was following, with Jimjar at his side. Turvey was up next to Solace, very near Raza. And Stool was, as ever, practically glued to Brinn.

OOC: For now, the group is trekking toward the Darklake in the passageway but hasn't arrived yet. Ce'rek will have a few minutes on his own to maneuver among the kuo-toa.

Wrex

First Post
Ce'rek switched to goblin, wondering if things were about to get awful...

"Pardon great lords...I hope to save the lives of your people...."

GlassEye

Adventurer
Raza Thulcandra

Raza halted for a couple of seconds, enough time to allow Shuushar and Jimjar to catch up to her. She stayed a couple of steps ahead but turned periodically to speak with the kuo-toa. It wasn't the way she would have wanted to converse but it would have to do.

"Things did not go the way I would have liked back there with your people and for that, I am sorry. I hope that our actions have not made your return more difficult. What do you expect will happen now?"

[sblock=Raza, in brief]
[size=+1]Raza Thulcandra[/size], halfling Druid 4
Initiative: +3; Inspiration: No
AC: 14, Current: 14; HP: 30/31; Speed: 25 ft

Str 8 (-1), Dex 16 (+3) , Con 14 (+2), Int 11 (+0), Wis 16 (+3), Cha 12 (+1)

Conditions: Darkvision
Saves: Intelligence +2, Wisdom +5
Skills: Insight +5, Perception +5, Religion +2, Stealth +5
Senses: passive Perception 15

In Hand:
Spells Prepared: (7) (Grimoire)
  • 2nd level: 1/2; Darkvision, Flame Blade*, Lesser Restoration, Spider Climb (circle), Spike Growth (circle)
  • 1st level: 0/4; Absorb Elements*, Cure Wounds*, Faerie Fire, Goodberry
  • Cantrips: Druidcraft, Mold Earth, Produce Flame, Guidance
* can be cast at higher level
Spell Attack: +5; Spell save DC 13

Special:
Lucky, Brave, Halfling Nimbleness, Naturally Stealthy, Natural Recovery 0/2
Wild Shape 0/2 (2 hour duration)
Hit Dice 3/4 (1/2 total HD restored at long rest)

Stuff:
Kuo-toa pack, 1/2 ration, 1/2 full waterskin, focus (obsidion)
Driftglobe: light (at will); 1/1 daylight
[/sblock]

The robed kuo-toa frowned at Ce'rek, then pushed forward past his two bodyguards. Ce'rek caught the look of uncertainty one bodyguard gave the other; there was definitely mistrust at play between the pair. The robed kuo-toa seemed oblivious to the tension, but a couple of the spear-armed regular guards hovering in the wings were wise to it. Ce'rek watched as the robed kuo-toa reached a hand inside its robes and withdrew a small clay figure. Holding the figure aloft, the kuo-toa began chanting in a rhythmic pattern. The words were utterly foreign.

OOC: Here, I'm going to intentionally deviate from our houserule about Arcana checks and non-casters (see "Houserules" in the OP of the OOC). Make an Intelligence (Arcana) DC 15 check, [MENTION=6829052]Wrex[/MENTION]. Success by rolling a 20 or higher indicates Ce'rek gains knowledge not only about the kuo-toa's action, but also about the kuo-toa's intent. If you fail the check with a 9 or lower, select one of the following and narrate it: 1) the robed kuo-toa's hand actions are suspicious; he's going for the knife he's got hidden, and plans to stab Ce'rek; 2) the robed kuo-toa is casting a spell, and judging by the bat guano Ce'rek smells it's probably fireball, and, given the tight quarters, would mean most of the gaggle of kuo-toa would get fried; or 3) the robed kuo-toa has begun a ritual that will take ten minutes, at the end of which a demon of the Abyss will be summoned.

Shuushar smiled kindly at Raza. "We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make our world. You are good, wisened one. I think my kin are preparing for battle. There may still be a way into the city. Factions create fissures, even in bedrock."

OOC: No natural 1 fails on skill checks, just on saves. Thought briefly about a natural 1 table for attack rolls, but scrapped that idea as too cumbersome for PbP. Go ahead and narrate, select one of the three options listed and interact accordingly. EVERYONE ELSE: Please wait for Wrex to post for Ce'rek, then go ahead and consider yourselves to have arrived, and post at will. You have light sources and can see as you desire (i.e., if you would have extinguished your spells prior to arrival, then there is no light, or if you'd have kept them up and running then you have light). [MENTION=33284]Yavathol[/MENTION], [MENTION=6799753]lowkey13[/MENTION], [MENTION=40413]GlassEye[/MENTION], [MENTION=23484]Kobold Stew[/MENTION], [MENTION=23298]industrygothica[/MENTION].

Last edited:

Wrex

First Post
In his brief, harsh existence Ce'rek only saw people in robes raise their arms when something was about to explode. He cursed as his goblin instincts took over, darting back toward the nearest cover he could find.

industrygothica

Adventurer
Kago doesn't see the goblin, but spots the gaggle of Kuo-toa looking rather ominous. He steps back into the darkness, hoping not to have been seen, and secures his grip on his warhammer.

Yavathol

Explorer

Kamael also moves into the darkness, looking for a waist high rock that could provide cover. As he does so, he quickly manipulated the Weave, mystically feeling down the passage for the goblin he had only recently met. Although he had only recently figured out how to produce this effect, he was pleased that he was now able to do so with minimal effort, "Ce'rek, we are but a short distance from you. What is going on? Whisper a reply, only I will hear it!"

[sblock=status]Kamael hp 20/22
AC 15
Inspiration yes, Tides of Chaos yes, Concentrating no
Slots 2/4 0/3
SP: 1/4
HD: 3/4[/sblock]

Remove ads