Over Half Of New D&D Players Got Into Game From Watching Online Play

I know this is really a small issue if any at all, but yet I find it mildly disturbing that so many people watch others play D&D instead of playing it themselves... it's kind of similar to the rise of "eSports" and their possible inclusion even in the olympics. And also my kids are starting to watch people play Minecraft on youtube instead of playing it themselves! It's ok to watch...

I know this is really a small issue if any at all, but yet I find it mildly disturbing that so many people watch others play D&D instead of playing it themselves... it's kind of similar to the rise of "eSports" and their possible inclusion even in the olympics. And also my kids are starting to watch people play Minecraft on youtube instead of playing it themselves! It's ok to watch occasionally to get some inspiration, but if it's more often than the real thing then it raises some questions...

Henry

Autoexreginated
I know this is really a small issue if any at all, but yet I find it mildly disturbing that so many people watch others play D&D instead of playing it themselves... it's kind of similar to the rise of "eSports" and their possible inclusion even in the olympics. And also my kids are starting to watch people play Minecraft on youtube instead of playing it themselves! It's ok to watch occasionally to get some inspiration, but if it's more often than the real thing then it raises some questions...

While I share the disappointment, ;) I can see the appeal, at least from watching streaming of video games. If you want a “quick fix” of a game that takes a large amount of play time investment, it’s far easier to que up someone playing in five seconds that spend five hours getting there myself. Further, there are some games (such as Red Dead Redemption) that I was eager to see, yet there will NEVER be a port to PC, and I can’t stand console gaming (I hate those stupid twin joystick/touchpad controllers). So, I can live vicariously through someone else doing something I would have to spend too much time and effort to do in life.

I can see a similar reasoning for someone who doesn’t have a gaming group, or can’t get a group due to life commitments, but who can fire up a stream for their 17 free minutes at 6pm, or their two free hours at 1am to 3am...

The ones who do make me wistful are people with the time and friends, but are just too afraid of embarrassment or “getting it wrong” to take that plunge. A “professional gamer class of people” isn’t like pro athletes you watch as a couch potato because they have skills you don’t and can’t hope to have - and I hope that doesn’t become a thing (although things like Critical Role and Glass Cannon could be seen as the actual start of that trend).

Hussar

Legend
I think that part of the reason that D&D is doing as well as is right now is because of these livestreams. I don't play D&D but I think that if these live streams bring people into the hobby? Great. It's a way to bypass the mostly toxic gatekeeper mentaility that you see in this very thread. And make no mistake in order for the hobby to survive and thrive those gatekeeper types need to be rendered inconsequential. As long as people are playing the game and having fun doing it? WHO CARES HOW THEY GOT IN.

These livestreams are reaching audiences other than the ones who are currently playing the game. And TF that's a good thing.

This. 1000 times this.

I couldn't give a rat's petoot how someone comes into the hobby. So long as they come. And they are coming.

And, frankly, if someone's new DM is half as entertaining as the livestream games, that's a huge, huge win for the hobby.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I think that part of the reason that D&D is doing as well as is right now is because of these livestreams. I don't play D&D but I think that if these live streams bring people into the hobby? Great. It's a way to bypass the mostly toxic gatekeeper mentaility that you see in this very thread. And make no mistake in order for the hobby to survive and thrive those gatekeeper types need to be rendered inconsequential. As long as people are playing the game and having fun doing it? WHO CARES HOW THEY GOT IN.

These livestreams are reaching audiences other than the ones who are currently playing the game. And TF that's a good thing.

If only I could give xp for this post multiple times.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
To the original topic, I say: Cool! I haven't watched any of those livestreams or whatever, but I'm glad they're pulling people in. More people coming into the hobby is a great thing.

Remove ads

Remove ads