D&D Movie/TV Paramount+ Orders 8-episode D&D TV Show

According to Deadline, an 8-episode TV show has been ordered by Paramount+. The pilot epidode of this Dungeons & Dragons TV show was written by Rawson Mashall Thurber (Red Notice) who will also direct that episode. Apparently multiple networks were interested in the show, with Paramount+ winning out. The show is a partnership between Paramount+ and eOne, Hasbro's studio. Hasbro is currently...
According to Deadline, an 8-episode TV show has been ordered by Paramount+. The pilot epidode of this Dungeons & Dragons TV show was written by Rawson Mashall Thurber (Red Notice) who will also direct that episode.

Apparently multiple networks were interested in the show, with Paramount+ winning out.

The show is a partnership between Paramount+ and eOne, Hasbro's studio. Hasbro is currently in the process of selling eOne.

Dungeons-Dragons-Next-Edition-Out-Summer-2014-3306681213.jpg

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Why? It was the third most watched series on Prime Video since its launch and is in the top 20 or right now. More than a year after its release it regularly pops into the 20 most watched shows in a week.
Because it makes the Witcher look like Shakespeare.

Any dude riding a rocket penis into space has higher ambitions than "this would have been a below-average episode of Hercules in the 1990s."

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
My favorite episode of D&D Trek is when they go to that Domain of Dread where everybody is an 1800s Irish person and the resident cleric Beverly Crusher has relations with an alien/ghost who was also romantically involved with her grandma days before.

[Don't you @ me this was a real episode of TNG]
It's the best episode of TNG

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Going by the audience scores (never go by critic scores alone) rotten tomatoes has Strange New Worlds with the best first season score of any live action trek except TOS.

Lower Decks and Prodigy have really good scores too, which is really good given some inherently hate the idea of trek toons period.

Picard and Discovery, which I personally don't hate them (also don't rewatch them like other series) have horrifying audience scores. Discovery's last season is 20%.
SNW, Lower Decks, and Prodigy are all great. An episode of Prodigy even got me to weep.

Picard had its moments but need like half the episodes to tell its story.

Discovery…. It’s…. Fine. I guess. Some
Good moments but over all it really needs better writing or something. And don’t get me started on it’s jump into the far future

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
It'll be interesting to see when the numbers come out what the bidding got up to. Part of the reason why Hasbro was selling eOne was because this show was competitively bid among most US streaming services

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Ravenloft would be great!
Ravenloft is the kind of setting I could see them using as a later season setting. Launching with it would mean the audience would have to figure out how this was D&D and not live-action Castlevania (which isn't a bad idea for a separate show).

At this point, they need to cement in the general public's mind what D&D looks like. Ravenloft will blur things a bit too much at this stage.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Discovery…. It’s…. Fine. I guess. Some
Good moments but over all it really needs better writing or something. And don’t get me started on it’s jump into the far future
Discovery is an odd one. I'm OK with the jump to the far future because it stopped them from messing too much with canon - which was its biggest problem. Now, the problem is writing compelling stories without the crutch of using kewl stuff from TOS. That said, where it really shines is its characters among the Discovery's crew and dealing with interpersonal issues. It's starting to look like they're finding more interesting things for the rest of the ensemble to do and not rest too heavily on Michael Burnham for everything.

Remove ads

Remove ads