D&D Movie/TV Paramount+ Orders 8-episode D&D TV Show

According to Deadline, an 8-episode TV show has been ordered by Paramount+. The pilot epidode of this Dungeons & Dragons TV show was written by Rawson Mashall Thurber (Red Notice) who will also direct that episode. Apparently multiple networks were interested in the show, with Paramount+ winning out. The show is a partnership between Paramount+ and eOne, Hasbro's studio. Hasbro is currently...

According to Deadline, an 8-episode TV show has been ordered by Paramount+. The pilot epidode of this Dungeons & Dragons TV show was written by Rawson Mashall Thurber (Red Notice) who will also direct that episode.

Apparently multiple networks were interested in the show, with Paramount+ winning out.

The show is a partnership between Paramount+ and eOne, Hasbro's studio. Hasbro is currently in the process of selling eOne.

Dungeons-Dragons-Next-Edition-Out-Summer-2014-3306681213.jpg

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
And I won't watch it and give it a terrible review to help undermine Hasbro

Not watching it? Good!

Not giving Paramount+ your money (voting with your wallet)? Good!

Giving something a negative review ... that you haven't seen ... for reasons? BAD. Very very bad. Just makes you a part of the problem.

Make yourself heard. Use you voice and your dollars. But if you're a person that is "reviewing" something you haven't watched, then you're part of the problem.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Discovery is an odd one. I'm OK with the jump to the far future because it stopped them from messing too much with canon - which was its biggest problem. Now, the problem is writing compelling stories without the crutch of using kewl stuff from TOS. That said, where it really shines is its characters among the Discovery's crew and dealing with interpersonal issues. It's starting to look like they're finding more interesting things for the rest of the ensemble to do and not rest too heavily on Michael Burnham for everything.
I was fine with the jump. I was even fine with the the "Big Event" that was basically a reset for the known galaxy. I just thought the cause of it was really fricking stupid.

And every chance they have to introduce some old alien race, they don't. How are the Ferengi doing? Was that thing a Q? (Nope). Etc Etc. And the fungal drive thing is just... why

Clint_L

Hero
Not watching it? Good!

Not giving Paramount+ your money (voting with your wallet)? Good!

Giving something a negative review ... that you haven't seen ... for reasons? BAD. Very very bad. Just makes you a part of the problem.

Make yourself heard. Use you voice and your dollars. But if you're a person that is "reviewing" something you haven't watched, then you're part of the problem.
Yeah, I really, really dislike the weaponization of reviews. Cancel culture at its worst, IMO. Please don't contribute to it, or you won't have a leg to stand on the next time some group review bombs a film because it has a female lead, or whatever other reason they might have.

Hussar

Legend
All the Yellowstone spinoffs like 1883 and 1923 are there (both great shows). That showrunners new show Tulsa King is there too. All the Star Treks are there as well.

They added 5M subscribers in a single quarter last quarter. That service is smoking hot right now in the streaming wars.
Only problem is, outside of the US, it's not that easy to get. At least, it's not offered in Japan yet. So, that means I don't get to see any of it. (and, yes, I could futz about with VPN's and things like that, but, frankly, I don't care that much about watching TV that I'd actually do anything more than just subscribe to a streaming channel.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I wonder if these news have been put out now to counter news on the OGL.
Or...
This is one of the reasons WotC dropped the OGL bomb now.
With Vox Machina season 2 out later this month, the D&D movie in March, and now a series in the works, D&D is starting to look like a hot media property. Could Hasbro/WotC stop someone else from making a D&D-based movie/series/video game using OGL content? This may be part of the reason they're heavily pushing the fiction that the OGL was never intended for anything other that print/PDF game resources.

Hussar

Legend
Or...
This is one of the reasons WotC dropped the OGL bomb now.
With Vox Machina season 2 out later this month, the D&D movie in March, and now a series in the works, D&D is starting to look like a hot media property. Could Hasbro/WotC stop someone else from making a D&D-based movie/series/video game using OGL content? This may be part of the reason they're heavily pushing the fiction that the OGL was never intended for anything other that print/PDF game resources.
I find this explanation pretty compelling. Looking at Vox Machina on my Prime, here in Japan anyway, there are zero mentions of D&D anywhere. It's 100% not a D&D branded cartoon. And, I can only think that that has driven a lot of the changes from WotC to the OGL. After all, if one company can completely cut WotC out of anything to do with a D&D movie/tv show/video game, why can't others?

Remove ads

Remove ads