• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paths of the Damned, Pt. 1: Through the Drakwald

Wilphe

Adventurer
Winfred places one foot up on the parapet of the bridge and looks at Captain Schiller, "This is not my home, and this is not my decision to make. But I will be honoured to stand with you whichever way you choose."

Iron Captain

First Post
Grimkrag listens to both Ottokar and Winifred and then places a hand on his axe.
"I am ready for battle. We will defeat them no matter where we fight. And we will have to fight them sooner or later."

Insight

Adventurer
Falandror walks over to Capt. Schiller. He listens to a few arguments one way or the other, smiling. Then offers his own opinion.

"Dearest Captain Schiller," he begins. "I believe we are best served to travel to the safety of Middenheim. Here in Untergard, are we not outside of the influence of your armies? Beastmen could be all around us, a thousand fold in comparison to our meager forces. Certainly, the walls, such as they are, would afford us some protection, but I believe that we would not hold out long."

"I would not presume to tell everyone what they should do," the elf continues. "I am no military strategist, just a simple traveler. But anyone could see... we would all die here."

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
The crowd seems to be won over by the appeals of Hans, Ottokar, and, surprisingly, given his race, Falandror. Schiller nods at the end of the elf's speech. "I've listened to both sides of the argument, and, as Untergard's rightful leader, I've made my decision. As much as it pains me to say it, I agree with Hans and the others that we cannot hope to stand against so many Beastmen. At first light tomorrow, we'll head north — to Middenheim. We know Count Todbringer is there, and within the city walls we can find safety. And shortly thereafter, with the Count's aid, we'll return here and finish rebuilding our homes. Untergard will —" he punctuates this by slamming his fist into his palm, "— rise again!. Now, let us enoy the Count's bounty and then prepare to depart. There's much to be done."

He heads off to oversee the distribution of the food, leaving you with the rest of the people still on this portion of the Ackerplatz. A few of the townsfolk walk by, commending you on your bravery against the Mutants, and a couple even ask if you'll be coming with them on the way to Middenheim. The general tone of the crowd is pleasant, and even relaxed, but a certain anxiety seems to eat at the corners of their pleasure — after all, their entire future is uncertain at this moment, and the trip to Middenheim looms before them.

Hans, the woodsman, walks over to the group. "I appreciate your support there. I'm sure Schiller would have come to see my way of thinking, but there's always strength in numbers. I know the townsfolk are asking you, but I'm curious, too: will you be joining us on the road?" As he talks to you, you notice that an irate Dietrich watches with burning eyes.

Iron Captain

First Post
Grimkrag strokes his beard as he listens to the Captain and Hans speak.

Finally he answers Hans' question: "I think that Winifred, Ottokar and the elf have made their decisions clear and I will also join you."

Lot

First Post
Ottokar nods to Hans.

"I'm certainly coming. The priests I was traveling with were killed and I was worried that I would have no where to go. I have been blessed with a mission to aid the Empire."

Wilphe

Adventurer
"I have given my word and the road to Middenheim will do as well as any other, or none at all. I have a horse, so I am happy to ride flank and scout as necessary, though I am not as comfortable in the wild as yourself."

Insight

Adventurer
Falandror smiles at Hans' words. "I would do nearly almost anything to leave this place," the elf says. "So, yes, I would most certainly join you on the road. I wonder...."

The elf looks around the ruined village. "I was thinking that it might be best if I find myself a longbow. As a boy, I trained in the bow, and I feel I would be useful as an archer, especially to guard us as we travel the Drakwald. If we have such a bow around, a serviceable one... have any of you seen one? Perhaps I should have a look around."

Lot

First Post
Ottokar nods at this idea.

"I too could use additional equipment. Some armor and a shield would be appreciated. I know supplies are short but there was a battle recently. There must be some hard leather or a wooden shield that could be spared. A servant to Sigmar is blessed indeed, but He expects one to make his own luck. I may meet a much more glorious end next battle if I'm not better equipped."

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
[sblock]Lot, Falandror: Make Gossip checks for me to see if you can find the equipment you desire. We'll add things in as necessary, but I'll move the game along in the meantime.[/sblock]Hans smiles. "We might be able to scare up some extra equipment. Let's see what we can find. It should be an interesting trip — there's no straight road through the Drakwald. And it's not a safe place." He continues smiling, but the grin seems taut and wary.

Off-screen: The search for equipment, sleeping, and breakfast.

In the morning, your group and the refugees from Untergard are all set to go. There are some eighty-five people on foot, as well as three ox-carts, one of which holds Granny Moescher and her orphans. Captain Schiller sets up a rough marching order, dividing the surviving town guards into three groups. One third leads, one third flanks, one third works rear guard. Hans Baumer, the woodsman, runs ahead of the group, scouting the path through the Drakwald. Five watchmen stand guard as the lot of you sleep.

The trip should take the group through Grimminhagen and Immelscheld before it reaches Middenheim. All things told, assuming no disasters, travel should take no more than six days.

The first day and night of the march are uneventful. Progress is slow, with carts and children to deal with, not to mention the lack of sufficient food. Halfway through the second day, you approach Grimminhagen. Without a word, Hans sets the column up to pass around the ruins of the town. You've heard enough from the other refugees to know the reason for this. The people of Untergard are not welcome in Grimminhagen and will find no solace here.[sblock]OOC: If there's anything that you'd like to do in Grimminhagen, now's the time.[/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads